Investment options: Immigration? Technology? Gold? Real Estate?

Assalamualaikum.

Is property the only thing to invest in?

Property and gold are what people have always invested in, as they have solid value.

What other options are there?

How about if you don't want to live in this country?

How about upcoming tech companies?

How about other options?

(i know this is a property forum, but admin do bear with me. I am wondering whether investors today consider any other options.)

Assalamualaikum.

I am really curious.

All these people investing in property in Pakistan; what about the future? Has anyone considered moving to another country?

How about checking out the 'next Google'? 'A scalable business?'.

If one has money to invest, do we just go for real estate or consider other options?

Love to hear other views.

101 views and 1 answer which is that of the thread starter ... That's the interest in this topic on the forum

Zain Sahib! Most of the people on this forum are sitting overseas and looking for investment in Pakistani real estate, so you can imagine how much interest can they have in your question

I am interested too in what you asked and want to see if anyone will comment, I myself have no worthy idea to share, sorry!

Thank you Musafar for your answer. Personally I am in Islamabad yet I don't want to live here. Comparing the moral standards in Pakistan and the West (if one puts aside the way they dress and the general question of women) they are more honest, kinder, more respectful and reliable.

And if Allah decides to punish the standard bearers of morality in this 'Land of the Pure' with bombs and invasion, I would prefer not to be here.

I am considering immigration to Europe.

Specifically this: http://invest.ontrapages.com .

Zain sahib! I share your view although I feel that there is this other side to life which you pointed out appropriately. Personal choices differ but I would prefer to die in a bomb blast here rather than expose my next generation to the moral risks they have in the west. Looking around the muslim world, Malaysia seems a fair place to live if one can have a way to earn a reasonable income there. I don’t know for a fact but seems like a thriving economy and I imagine that there should be business opportunities. Unless you have your kids grown up already, don’t play the gamble of the west

Mostly on this forum 80% are our overseas bro n sis.

And they are all investing in Pakistan and 70%ing dream to come back one day to there beloved country and construct there home

And for those who are already here think that the grass is more greener on the other side. Its not easy....

Life is not a bed of roses.....

Who to blame that Pakistan is in this state now. ( not for long inshallah it will rise soon). Its us all..

Has anyone EVER thought why people think of leaving and look for a life abroad its our own mistakes

we all let cruel people to be our leaders. See iceland example.

Trust me if we were same nation as iceland it would not be the people of Pakistan thinking of leaving there own country but the corrupt politicians in jails.

Asked most of the overseas Pakistanis and they replied iF they had a chance to come back to Pakistan they will. If there is merit insaaf and a good life. Our bodies are here but minds and souls in pak.

Ask nations like iraq Afghanis shaam and so on they dont have a country to call it a home.

For investment purpose the best person is .dar..

Lighter note can make a offshore company. Lol

Pakistan zindabad...

I have lived most of my adult life in the West. I am a bit confused by the question of 'morality' that people in Pakistan or other Muslim countries raise about the West. There is definitely an openness there and as a result there is a lot of freedom of speech and action. Those are exactly the things that are to be valued. However, there is no compunction on anyone, for example, one is free to practise one's religion or creed if you stay within the law of the land.

Immigrating to such advanced countries certainly needs a lot of thought, planning and preparation. You might need to upgrade your skills and education, and above all you need to prepare your mind for a culture shock. However, there are many people who have made this transition and are leading happy successful and prosperous lives.

Dear All,

As this topic interests me, I would like to add following,

• Yes, Real estate around the world is not a growing sector neither there is much of innovation left to be achieved in it round the world. Any sector who sees growth must have inefficiencies in it for potential innovation which in turn captures investment and provides growth opportunities. But in Pakistan its completely opposite.

• Around the world Tech Companies are new hype and are attracting most of investment but in Pakistan Real estate sector is attracting almost 80% of investment and it will continue for next decade or even more.

• The most important reason for it is devastating condition of Micro-Economic factors, sever lack of infrastructure for Industrialization and sever shortage of electricity and other utilities like Water and Gas. On the other hand, Real estate/Housing Societies are not effected by such factors.

• Pakistan is facing sever housing shortage of almost 5 Million homes every year which adds in already existing shortage.

• The most important factor to consider for investment is the analysis of the government priorities and business model outlook of Pakistan for next 10 - 15 Years than for longer period of 50 Years 20 - 30 years and than for long term strategy of 50 years.

• In short term analysis for next 10 - 15 Years, only real estate sector will thrive as Pakistan will be already to enter into Pakistan China Economic Corridor (CPEC). Huge investment will surge into Infrastructure development all across Pakistan.

• It will start-off from extensive Road Networks and Power generation. Government will be investing huge amounts in facilitating the transit of trade for Chinese goods int and out of China. Next Phase would for the private investor from China and Pakistan will to jump into with providing logistic and operations facilities for this transportation.

• A large number of international business organizations would be setup their offices and will need housing facilities for their employees and it will all end up in India polling in their goods for transit to Gulf and Central Asia.

• In short, Pakistan is looking at huge surge in investment in Real estate sector for next 10 - 15 Years.

• For medium term investments for 20 - 30 Years, the real estate and infrastructure investment will see a saturation point as infrastructure requirements would have been completed and inefficiencies would have been filled which will reduce the return ratio in real estate sector in Pakistan.

• That would the the time, when the investor would look into other sector to invest in. We hope to see a new young breed of entrepreneurs in Pakistan coming up with other unique ideas for investment especially Tech landscape and it will continue to move forward for long term outlook of 50 Years and ahead.

• Guys, Real estate in Pakistan in on ever rising shoot for next 10 - 15 Years. Do not consider any other sector worth considering against real estate.

I hope this write-up will add to your question and decision making for investment.

Thanks

Hasan

hasanabid@live.com

Thank you all for your input. I see merit on both sides. Grass seems to be greener on the other side whichever side you happen to be on. Istikhara seems the best plan here! I have spent time in the Europe, and it was a happy time. Good and bad on both sides, I think. If one has money and family then any place can be made good. Back to istikhara, then.

Its amazing someone brought up this topic. Well start-ups are on rise all around the globe. Infact India is focusing greatly on technology as it is a new wave. Apple INC has invested in a technology centre in India. Well to be honest technology is what a person should invest in if he/she has an insight of what he is going for, but you need to be actively involved in the monitoring and development phase. People who do invest in technology are the ones who can visualize future and the need. There are lot of incubation centres growing in Pakistan that are supporting young entrepreneurs. Real estate has its own charm.

Being outside Pakistan, real estate is the ONLY investment option, one could think of!

I am surprised why we are not discussing the food related business in Pakistan.

Opening a franchised eatery place in any good location mall is just racking of money piles every day.

It has been now researched that Attock, Jehlum, Mianwali are best places for growing the Olive trees, one can start this lucrative cultivation and can forget going outside Pakistan. Living in Pakistan is 2nd to none if you have good money to live with. Olive oil is becoming hottest demand in Pakistan.

It is written in stones that wherever you go, it is just matter of time, a Muslim family will be facing hard time. See this week Germany is considering to pass a law where they will take passport back if they want. No one else but only Muslim will face this music.

Most of my friends decided to immigrate, decades ago, and now almost each of them wants to come back and live the last part of life in Pakistan.

These bomb blasts will not be here forever and In Shaa Allah we shall see that our beloved country will see peace and prosperity. We just need the continuity of elections to filter the bad guys out.

Being outside Pakistan, real estate is the ONLY investment option, one could think of!

I am surprised why we are not discussing the food related business in Pakistan.

Opening a franchised eatery place in any good location mall is just racking of money piles every day.

It has been now researched that Attock, Jehlum, Mianwali are best places for growing the Olive trees, one can start this lucrative cultivation and can forget going outside Pakistan. Living in Pakistan is 2nd to none if you have good money to live with. Olive oil is becoming hottest demand in Pakistan.

It is written in stones that wherever you go, it is just matter of time, a Muslim family will be facing hard time. See this week Germany is considering to pass a law where they will take passport back if they want. No one else but only Muslim will face this music.

Most of my friends decided to immigrate, decades ago, and now almost each of them wants to come back and live the last part of life in Pakistan.

These bomb blasts will not be here forever and In Shaa Allah we shall see that our beloved country will see peace and prosperity. We just need the continuity of elections to filter the bad guys out.

That’s good. We finally got some attention resulting in some discussion @Zain Ahmad

@Abdul Qayyum … Always interesting to read you views. Can you please provide some more details about growing olive tress in those areas. What are the land prices, how much land one needs, how much is production per unit area, costs, sale prices, profit and what ever else involved to operate such a venture … I apologize for so many questions but hoping to have a useful and practical discussion. Thanks

Malaysia has always intrigued my interests … Anyone here has knowledge to share about it. Thanks

@ Musafar

All of your questions about olives and about Malaysia, will be replied but now I am busy.

Will reply you in due course, sir

@ Musafar

Apart from olive oil importance, let me tell you first about the remainder (Khal) after rolling out olives for the oil extraction. This Khal is very rich in heat if you burn it in the fire place. It can give heat for at least 24 hours non-stop and could prove as very much demanded commodity in Pakistan’s upper areas in sub-zero temperature environments.

You need both male and female trees to get the good olive production.

As you know Olive oil is totally free from the Cholesterol and very good for so many other health benefits.

Potohar region is declared as one of the best places for the olive farming. A friend of mine, working in Mian Munsha power plant in Lahore, told me that Mian Munsha and other big boys are buying lands for the olive farming.

The land cost is very much variable.

In Attock district, it starts from PKRs. 50K to 1 lac for one Kanal. If you take “Mumlikn & Ghair Mumkin” together, you may end up paying way less for a big buyout.

For a family of five, a total no of 5 trees are more than enough for your whole kitchen demand.

The virgin pass from the crushing machine does cost like fortune and will sell like hot cakes.

This industry is just fledgling in Pakistan and the pioneers will be the winners.

Having said that: It needs expertise and experience for olive farming.

Dear Zain,

I live and work in UK. No place is better in Europe than UK. But I am looking forward to come back home. I dont have visa issues at all. I have seen many EU countries. I have to Malaysia and Dubai. Yes freedom of speech, human right, and many issues our motherland facing. But you want to immigrate for the future of your kids, and what future they will have here. I would suggest just visit and analyse yourself. In conclusion I would say I havent seen a place like Pakistan any where in the world. If you make right decisions for your kids and business in Pakistan you would be fine. Rest its your decision.

To Musafar,

Malaysia has humid weather, which was very hard for me to bear. All year round they have same weather. Only Kualalumpur is well developed. Other parts of the country is gradually developing. For business point of view I would suggest import export with Malaysia may be better but dont look shiny picture of Malaysia. Pakistani employees are facing hardship there. Immigrants are in bad state. Construction is booming. Immigration laws very strict even you married with Malay woman. You will get residence card passport after 15 years if you are still married. Malay are great people but towards immigrants they say this is not foreigner country. You do your job and leave the country. No Palace like Pakistan.

Our employer is regularly sending us for the routine course in Malaysia. Initially we all were thrilled to invest in Malaysia but after having more info, it may not prove worthwhile. Malays are nice people but they do not want others to mix with them. They even say loudly that Mahathir was best for Malaysia but He interrupted their social life with business, business and business!

A professional engineers cannot make more than 8,000 Ringgit. Chinese are the real problem over there.

It is a perfect place for a rich retiree couple but if you want to make a living, a Malay will be openly favored for the employment. You need to know the Malay language as a must to be a successful business resident over there. It is clean and lush green but one must not forget: “ other side of the fence is always greener”. Good old Pakistan, save the money, invest wisely and come back home sweet home.