Narc to be converted to a cda sector in z4

Came across this news - how will this impact the real estate in the area and specifically be-1?

(Obviously not very welcoming news for the research community)

Http://tribune.Com.Pk/story/903575/misplaced-priorities-housing-colony-gets-go-ahead-at-cost-of-agri-research/

For the pakistan muslim league-nawaz government, urban interests are more important than the development of the agricultural sector, which contributes nearly 24 per cent of the gross domestic product (gdp) and accounts for half of the employed labour force.

In a recent development, prime minister nawaz sharif gave go-ahead to the capital development authority (cda) to shore up an estimated rs150 billion by establishing a housing colony by razing pakistan’s premier research institute in the field of agriculture.

If everything goes according to the plan, a housing colony will be constructed near rawal lake, some 6km southeast of islamabad in zone-iv — a site where national agriculture research council (narc) is located.

Documents available with the express tribune suggest that cda asked ministry of national food security and research (mnfsr) to setup a committee, “to ensure smooth transition of land [measuring 1,395.2 acres] from the ministry to the cda, so that the plan could be materialised.”

Narc is spread over an area of 1,395.2 acres (about 11,161 kanals) adjacent to rawal lake. The centre serves as a common platform for scientists working in different federal and provincial agricultural research centres.

The area houses physical facilities such as experimental fields and laboratories.

A preliminary survey, according to the documents, has been carried out by the cda’s planning wing. It came up with a concept plan that out of the 1,395.2 acres, some 1,250 acres could be used in developing a small sector with housing units over 625 acres, commercial activities on 60 acres and rest of the land would constitute open spaces, public buildings and for other future use.

“with the passage of time, the subject area [where narc is located] has become a hub of residential and commercial activities and agriculture research does not appear to be the foremost appropriate activity on this site,” wrote the cda chairperson with an additional note to assert his point stating that “the performance and actual research being conducted at this facility can be assessed by the government through relevant ministry or independent evaluation firm.”

He also wrote about a recent “overwhelming” response the cda received from investors when it sold out about 154 residential plots at park enclave located in close vicinity of the narc.“the site location is even more attractive than the park enclave where a one-kanal residential plot was sold for rs17.5m,” it reads.

The document suggests that the cda intends to develop and sale out some 6,000 residential plots measuring one kanal out of narc site that will generate and estimated revenue of rs100 billion.

The authority also calculated another rs30 billion could be generated by selling out commercial property on the site.

The land was leased out to ministry of agriculture for the establishment of the narc on may 2, 1975 and its lease expired in 2005 and has not been renewed since.

The cda has suggested that in the first phase, 100 acres where offices and official residences of narc staff are located will be excluded from the plan but at a later stage after narc is relocated, the remaining area will also be sold.

The cda chairperson in his letter said that as initial approval for the plan had been taken from the prime minister and that now mnfsr ensure handing over possession of land to the cda.

Narc achievements

A senior narc official wishing not to be named told some 15 small research institutes are associated with the narc.

He said that the narc designed and produced quality equipment besides producing a number of research papers.

The cda planning and design member, wasim khan was not available for comments.

Published in the express tribune, june 15th, 2015.

Shame

It's a credible news as far as a new sector in Zone 4. Somehow I knew that from one of my friend who was present during the talk between PM and some other ministers.

But this NARC thing wasn't discussed during the talk. Somehow PM is much interested in the project and it will be just for overseas Pakistanis.

I would say: USE IT OR LOOSE IT....

If the land is being properly utilized by NARC, then, no one can take that from them... But if it is otherwise, then no one can stop CDA from taking the unused land... We all know the situation of our govt institutions and their performance...

Regards

Khan sb, Wrowra, khista khabara de ukra.

Malik sb, It will be interesting to see how this project unfolds, well maybe I-6 is in making :). The problem is that CDA is expert in selling land, taking away your cash and then sleeping over it for decades And not only that they charge a premium price upfront and people somehow ignore CDA's past performance and pay it. Look at the, 150 plots that CDA auctioned in park Enclave lately, 500 sq yards plot, 17.5 million price tag with zero development for many many years.

I guess this project will be launched within tenure of PML-N govt. It is for sure that the project will be for overseas only.

NARC is a very useful institution though full of corruption. It can't be disbanded but some of its land will be taken.

Ammad wrora, bilkol theek khabera de wukra… Allah de khushala sata…

Govt launching new sector in the area is confirm. Timing is not sure. NARC is a good institution and useful for Pak though it is as corrupt as CDA is.

It's also confirm that it will be for overseas and payments for it will be in foreign currency only. PM and Ishaq Dar has special interest in the plan.

Malik sb, Lets assume CDA launches this scheme in next 2 years, Would you advice oversees Pakistanis to apply, keeping in view CDA's past performance of not being able to develop on time?

I know price would be an important consideration but we know it will not be less than Park Enclave's price of 17.5 million for a kanal plot.

Problem is that if the govt launches the project, it's for sure that the sectors wouldn't develop within this govt tenure. Next govt would sit on it for a long time before starting it again to show that they are responsible for the project and not previous govt. This is common practice of taking credit.

Price would be market price of Park Enclave but on instalments.

CDA will lure customers by its name and sit on the cash for years as per previous practices.

How can one advise in investing such a project unless we want to do it for our kids.

I fail to understand why every thing is for sale in this country…research institution…hell supreme court should take suo moto notice and stop this scam otherwise people may trapped for decades…

I can tell you that if CDA launches this sector, it is going to be a super hit due to its awesome location.

It will sell like hot cake.

@Million, ab Nawaz shrif se tu yehi umeed rakhi ja sakti hai. Ab Imran khan kahan hai ? Ain logon ne research institutes ko bi nehin bakhsha.

@sheikh sb…There’s no shortage of stupid investors with ill money. …such projects go like hot cake but ordinary people got stuck in them…cda will never give possession on time and people keep crying. …

I personally think zone 4 should be preserved and not commercialized. If you wana expand the city, expand it across zone 2 and 5 at least leave the park area alone!!!

Housing and commercial activities in zone 4 will further deteriorate the environment.

It is obvious that government needs to generate billions to pay back debt to IMF/world bank and reduce circular debt.So they are using CDA as front man to do the dirty work. I can already see TV and media advertisement as successful campaign collecting millions in registration forms and deposits from overseas Pakistani in $$$.

I can't comment on the location as i'm not well aware of it. I went to Bahria Enclave twice so i'm assuming it must be near by.

I do not know why they want to ruin NARC. I was living nearby NARC and i was going to NARC for morning walk and you can compare it to any world class research institute. If government is serious in development of Islamabad, they can open C15, C16, C17, D13…D16, F-12-…F14 but for God sake do not destroy NARC. By developing Zone-1 sector they can earn much more money.

Highway Robbery II:

First PPP looted this nation in Park Enclave, now its nooora brother's turn. This will have devastating effect on environment of Twin-City area. Even if NARC doesn't want to use this land it should be turned in to a National Parks Reserves.

I guess Hassan Nisar is right when he says that if these so called politicians get their way, they will cut whole Pakistan in to plots and sale it.

Malik sb, Can’t agree more. Well said, its good to apply for your kids and be thankful if they are able to get one, without additional development charges :).