ABOUT ANARKALI, LAHORE
Dating back to 200 years ago, Anarkali is not only famous for its bazaar but it is also a union council in the neighbourhood of Data Gunj Buksh Tehsil. It is a busy area filled with the hustle and bustle of shoppers, sellers and by-passers. Many come to enjoy the atmosphere and the beautiful architecture of its colourful bazaar.
Anarkali is named after a famous courtesan during the rule of Mughal Emperor Akbar. According to mainstream historical reports, Anarkali, much to Akbar’s dismay, allegedly seduced Akbar’s favourite son and heir, Jahangir. On Akbar’s decree, she was either stoned in the wall or chased out of the city as per different historical perspectives. Her mausoleum is located near Anarkali Market.
The market has two sections namely Old Anarkali Bazaar and New Anarkali Bazaar. While the former is popular for shops of traditional desi cuisine, people visit the latter for embroidery, jewellery, textile and handicrafts. It has three main markets, Dhoni Ram Lane, Bano Bazaar and Paan Gali.
Anarkali is, in fact, a historically significant area of Lahore. Several monuments and landmarks are located in and near Anarkali, including Lahore Museum, Tomb of Anarkali, Sultan Qutb ud-Din Aibak mausoleum, Shahi Hamaam and Javed Manzil.
Anarkali connects with several busy routes of the city including Katcheri Road, Circular Road and Crust Road. It also touches Mozang Road while Mall Road passes through this market. The shrine of the famous Sufi Saint Hazrat Ali Hajveri, lovingly called Data Gunj Baksh by his disciples and followers, is a short walk from Anarkali.
Moreover, some of Lahore's most famous educational institutes are located in the vicinity. There is National College of Arts (NCA) – one of the Pakistan’s best arts institutes, Government College University (GCU) and King Edward Medical University (KEMU).
AT A GLANCE
- One of the oldest areas of Lahore, it dates back to at least 200 years ago
- Mausoleum of Sultan Qutb-ud-din Aibak is situated in this market
- Home to Dhoni Ram Lane, Bano Bazaar and Paan Gali
- Data Darbar is located in the neighbourhood
- Home to the city's most popular market and food street
- Close to distinguished educational institutes of the country
- Tomb of Anarkali is located here, a 16th century beautiful, octagonal white building recognized for its historical importance
- Several Hospitals including Mayo Hospital and Lady Aitchison Hospital are located in the area
FACILITIES, SCHOOLS AND HEALTHCARE
Public Transport in and near Anarkali, Lahore
If residents have to walk or drive long distances to board a bus, it automatically devalues the area with respect to facilities. Thankfully, there are numerous options for public transport in and near Anarkali, Lahore.
Anarkali is located in the central part of Lahore. It touches and connects several important routes with many roads passing through it. Therefore, public transport choices are rife too. There is a Gawalmandi Stop on Nisbat Road while Mayo Hospital Bus Stop and AG Office Bus Stop are on Mayo Hospital Road.
Mall Road being a busy route has at least three bus stops in Anarkali. These are Anarkali Bus Stop, GPO Bus Stop and Old Campus Stop. District Courts Bus Station near GCU is located on Lower Mall Road. Similarly, Orange Line Metro Train Anarkali Station on Syed Mauj Darya Rd. Jain Mandir Bus Stop is on Lytton Road. MAO College Metro Bus Station is located on Crust Road at Mozang Chungi.
Anarkali is not too far away from railway stations either. Lahore Junction is a mere 2.5 km from here. The main Cantt Station, however, is a good 6 km away. Meanwhile, Zong CSC Railway Station on McLeod Road is at a driving distance of 6 to 8 minutes. Badami Bagh Station is a 15 minutes’ drive from Anarkali.
Markets in and near Anarkali, Lahore
Anarkali is famous for its markets especially Anarkali Bazaar. People who have never been to Lahore knows about this bazaar. Others come to visit it specifically from all over the country. This Bazaar offers a unique variety of different items. However, Anarkali Bazaar is especially visited for its jewellery, textile, and embroidery and handicraft collection. Following are some of the most famous markets in and near Anarkali, Lahore:
Anarkali Bazaar is divided into two separate sections: Old Anarkali Bazaar and New Anarkali Bazaar.
New Anarkali Market is famous for jewellery and textile. It is located on Anarkali Road. The bazaar has different markets including Paan Gali and Bano Bazaar. Moreover, Dhani Ram Road is more popular due to its collection of handicrafts and glass crockery.
Paan Gali is popular for selling item imported from India. It comprises of 3 lanes housing around 50 shops. It is also called the Chandni Chowk of Pakistan for its resemblance to Indian Market of the same name. You can reach there in 2 to 3 minutes by car from Urdu Bazaar. People from all over the country come here to buy certain kinds of fabrics such as Jamawaar and Kaamdani. In addition to fabric, Paan Gali, as its name suggests, also has vendors selling paan.
Old Anarkali Bazaar is rather famous for the traditional food it sells. There are street hawkers selling street food, jewellery and fabric. The Food Street is famous for various types of desi and fast food items. Also, a book bazaar is set up here on Sundays. All kinds of books are available there at affordable prices. If you are lucky, you might find some otherwise hard to find collection.
Urdu Bazaar is located near Ghazni Street at a distance of less than a kilometre from old Anarkali Market in Anarkali, Lahore. It is a large bazaar rife with bookstores offering books on wholesale rates. Some of the famous retailers located here include Dogar Publishers, National Book Service, Al Hassan Book Store, Urdu Books Mall, Taj Company and various others.
Medicines Market is located near Circular Road at a walking distance of 10 minutes from old Anarkali Market in Anarkali, Lahore. It houses a collection of medical stores and pharmacies. Some of the prominent medicine stores here are Zain medicine Company, Ghazi and Sons Medical Store, Punjab Medical Store, Muzaffar Medical Store and Jamil Medicose.
There is a Stationary and Art Market near New Anarkali Road at a distance of less than a kilometre from old Anarkali Market. You can get items of art and crafts at an affordable rate. Mian Hameed Arms Corporation near Mall Road is located in Anarkali. They sell arms, ammunition, hunting/camping equipment and sporting accessories.
Apart from these, there are separate markets at a distance of few kilometres, dedicated to different items. These include Ainak Market, Electronic Market, Mobile Market and other similar markets.
Mosques, Temples and Churches in and near Anarkali, Lahore
One attractive feature of any area includes the presence of worship houses in the locality. This lets people attend to their religious duties without disturbing their work schedule due to traveling distance. Luckily, there are various mosques, temples and churches in and near Anarkali, Lahore.
Anarkali has various temples in and around it. Baalmik Mandir is located in Neela Gumbad area in this area. It is only a short walk from Anarkali. Rattan Chand Mandir near Baans Bazaar is also a short walk of maximum 10 minutes from this area. Old Basuli Hanuman Temple, located on Aibak Road. It is a drive of a few minutes from Anarkali. Similarly, Tolsi Mandir on Circular Road is only 1.5 km from here.
In addition to temples, there are many churches in the vicinity as well. The most famous is the Cathedral Church of The Resurrection aka Lahore Cathedral. The locals also call it Kukar Girja. The latter name is given due to the weathercock on the central lantern. Established on Mall Road in 1887, this church has a very Neo-Gothic architecture that adds to its appeal. It was. It is a mere 1 km from here.
Other churches located in Anarkali include St. Mary's Anglican Church near Abkari road, St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church on Nabha Road and Pakistan Bible Society on New Anarkali Road. Also, Lohari Gate Church is located on the New Anarkali Road near the point it intersects the Circular Road.
A few churches are located slightly farther from Anarkali. Sacred Heart Cathedral on Lawrence Road is 2 km from here. Central Cathedral of Praying Hands on Waris Road, Jubilee Town is around 8 minutes’ drive.
There are also several mausoleums and mosques in and near Anarkali, Lahore. Following are some of the popular mosques in the area:
- Jamia Masjid Neela Gumbad on Jamal-ud-Din Afghani Road
- Jamia Masjid Mai Lado on Chamberlain Road
- Shab Bahar Masjid on Circular Road in Gawalmandi is merely a kilometre from the area
- GC University Mosque on GCU campus on Lower Mall Road
- Jamia Mosque Tawheed is located near Mayo Hospital
- Punjab University Masjid on Katcheri Road near NCA
- Jamia Masjid Tarro Moran is located in the Walled City of Lahore, a short drive from Anarkali
- Unchi Masjid in Kucha Pir Shirazi in the Walled City of Lahore, located at a distance of around 1 km from Anarkali
Apart from the above-mentioned mosques, Masjid Wazir Khan is located in Shahi Guzargah, Dabbi Bazar. It is around 2 km away from this area. It is an old 17th century mosque. Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan had established this mosque along with an ensemble of other buildings including the famous Shahi Hammam that has become a popular tourist spot. The mosque and the hammam are both examples of Mughal architecture as its traces are left on the soil of Lahore.
The mosque is especially noted for its intricate tile work called Kashi-Kari. Meanwhile, the main décor for the interior would be the Mughal frescoes. The mosque is enlisted for restoration, a project funded by Norway, Germany and U SA governments.
Schools, Colleges And Universities in and near Anarkali, Lahore
Lahore houses some of the best educational institutes of the country. Interestingly, many of them are located in Anarkali. Discussed below in detail are the most famous school, colleges and universities in and near Anarkali, Lahore.
Anarkali has various schools especially convents located in and around it. Some of the most popular convents here are Govt. Saint Francis High School on Kacheri Road, Convent of the Sacred Heart Lahore on Thronton Road, Cathedral School on Nabha Road and Joan McDonald High School in Lower Mall, Islampura. Also, St. Anthony's Higher Secondary School is located on Lawrence Road on Mozang Chungi, around 1 km from Anarkali.
Other schools located in Anarkali or nearby are Govt. Girls High School Napier Road near Mayo Hospital, Govt.Muslim High School in Nila Gumband, Govt. Muslim Model High School near Urdu Bazaar, Government Central Model High School in Data Gunj Buksh Town and Govt. Saleem Model High School in Lower Mall near Urdu Bazaar.
Schools located nearby are Govt. Chishtia High School
In Islampura, Govt. Girls High School on Dev Samaj Road and Government Islamia High School located in Lower Mall in Nagar Street.
Some popular colleges located in and near Anarkali include the following:
- Government College of Science on Wahdat Road in Allama Iqbal Town is located at a distance of about 5 km from Anarkali
- Govt. Islamia College Civil Lines on Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani Road is a 10 to 12 minutes’ walk from Anarkali
- Govt. Degree College for Women in Gawalmandi is located on Railway Road, is a 5 minutes’ drive from Urdu Bazaar
- Concordia College Fane Road on Fane Road in Mozang Chungi
- Govt. M.A.O College Lahore is located in Lower Mall, Islampura, a short walk from Anarkali
- Peak Solutions College of Commerce and Technology is also located in Islampura at short walking distance from Anarkali
- Punjab College City Campus is located on National Highway near Gourmet Bakers
- Government College of Technology for Women situated near Jain Mandar on Lytton Road is a drive of 8 to 10 minutes from Anarkali
- Government College of Science on Dev Samaj Road is about 1 km from Anarkali
- Government Degree College for women on Haider Road in Islampura is an 8 minutes’ drive from Anarkali, Lahore
National College of Arts, Lahore (NCA)
The National College of Art or NCA, considered the best arts school of Pakistan is located on Mall Road in Anarkali, Lahore. It is the second oldest arts school in South Asia. It offers degrees in various fields of arts including film and TV, musicology, fine art and architecture. The institute enrols around 800 students.
The British Crown had established this school in 1875. It was called Mayo School of Industrial Arts then but the name was changed in 1958. It is a prestigious institute with an impressive alumnus to show for. Some famous names from NCA include the socialist revolutionist, Bhagat Singh, actor and singer, Ali Zafar, artist, and singer, Mahmood Hayat.
There are a few most important universities of Lahore in Anarkali. These include the following:
- Punjab University College of Information Technology (PUCIT) is located on Katcheri Road in Anarkali. It is affiliated with Punjab University and resides on University’s old campus called as Allama Iqbal Campus. It ranks among the top institutes of computer learning in Pakistan.
- Named after Edward VII, King Edward Medical University was established in 1860 by the British Crown. It is situated near Nila Gumbad Chowk in Anarkali, Lahore. It is affiliated with Punjab University. It has registered two hospitals for teaching: Mayo Hospital and Lady Aitchison Hospital. It ranks 6th in the HEC’s list of top ranking medical universities.
- Government College University is located on Katcheri Road in Anarkali, Lahore. It was established in the 1860s. It is among the top 10 largest institutes of Pakistan with a student concentration of more than 12000. Intrinsically, it is a research university focusing on projects in different faculties such as Biological Sciences, Engineering, Maths and Physics, Art and Language. Several important figures have studies here including poet of the east, Allama Muhammad Iqbal, Nobel laureate Dr. Abdus Salam and the famous literary duo of Bano Qudsia and Ashfaq Ahmed.
- University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences (UVAS) is located on Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani Road in data Gunj Baksh Town. It is a short drive of 5 minutes from Anarkali. It is a public university established by the British in 1882. Pakistan Veterinary Medical Council (PVMC) has accredited it. It offers graduate, post graduate and doctoral degrees in animal sciences. It is among the oldest educational institutes in Asia. The focus of the institute is to conduct fruitful research in the fields of microbiology, animal sciences and agriculture.
Other important institutes in the vicinity are at an approximate driving distance of 8 to 10 minutes. These include National University of Modern Languages Lahore Campus on Khayaban-e-Aiwan-e-Iqbal, Postgraduate Institute of Law – UOL on Mall Road and University Of Education, Bank Road Campus.
Banks in and near Anarkali, Lahore
While presence of banks and ATMs has become a necessity in general, it is even more important in commercial areas. Therefore, it is only natural that there are plenty of banks in and near Anarkali, Lahore.
There are a group of banks on Nila Gumbad Road near Church of Pakistan Diocese. These are branches of United Bank Lahore, UBL, MCB, Habib Metropolitan Bank, Askari Bank Limited, Punjab Provincial Cooperative Bank and the Bank of Punjab. From the New Anarkali Bazaar, these are a drive of about 2 to 3 minutes.
Similarly, there is another cluster of banks nearby. These are located on Mall Road at a driving distance of 5 minutes. These include Standard Chartered Bank, First Women Bank Limited, Sindh Bank Limited and Faysal Bank. Three other banks namely Allied Bank, Meezan Bank and HBL are located near GCU.
Clinics and Hospitals in and near Anarkali, Lahore
Establishment of enough hospitals to sufficiently cover any locality plays a vital role in enhancing the quality of life for its residents. Luckily, there are quite a few important clinics and hospitals in and near Anarkali, Lahore.
Mayo Hospital, the largest and most prestigious hospital of Lahore is located near New Anarkali in Anarkali, Lahore. It is one of the oldest hospitals of Pakistan that is attached to KEMU . The hospital offers free treatment to all the patients.
It started operating in the early 1870’s under the British Raj. It was named after Richard Bourke, or as locally called Lord Mayo, the then Viceroy of British India. The hospital building has Italian design resembling the medieval architecture of the Middle Ages. It offers a plethora of treatments with the most advanced medical equipment.
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital located on Queen's Road in Jubilee Town is a 5 minutes’ drive from Anarkali. Sir Ganga Ram Agrawal, a civil engineer who served the government during British rule over India, established it in 1921, hence the name. This hospital has a capacity of 550 beds at the moment and offers free of cost medical services.
Lady Aitchison Hospital, established in 1887, is located on Mayo Hospital Road in Anarkali. It is a teaching hospital linked with KEMU. It was created to deal with the female patients for gynaecological and obstetric problems. Lady Aitchison had laid down the foundation stone of this building. Initially, it was created to offer treatment to a 100 patients. However, in the later years, the capacity was increased to cater 200 patients.
Other hospitals located in and near Anarkali are at a driving distance of 10 to 12 minutes. These include the Services Hospital in Shadman, Jail Road, Fatima Memorial Hospital in Ichra and Ammar Medical Complex on Jail Road.
PROPERTIES IN ANARKALI, LAHORE
Sales Price Trends in Anarkali, Lahore
Knowing about the sale trends of property in locality can be very helpful when making an investment decision. It ensures that you are able to make an informed decision that is bound to deliver fruitful returns.
Houses for Sale in Anarkali, Lahore
The residential area of Anarkali, Lahore reflects a historical architecture from the old Indo-Pak culture. In general, the houses here are old and not often available, as most residents have been living there for a long time. However, modern construction is taking place rapidly and real estate market is expanding.
Currently, the price trend for houses for sale in Anarkali, Lahore is around PKR 1.95 crore for a 5 marla house. However, the properties here usually have multiple storeys and sturdy construction. Mostly, well-furnished 5 marla homes feature 6 bedrooms.
Rent Price Trends in Anarkali, Lahore
Having sufficient information about the rental price trends is recommendable to make a practical decision. Covered below are the rental price trends in Anarkali, Lahore:
Houses for Rent in Anarkali, Lahore
Newly constructed 5 marla houses are available for rent in Anarkali, Lahore. Rental price trend for this type of property is around PKR 60 thousand. This is for the entire house of 4 rooms and 5 bathrooms. There are also portions available for rent as well. Rent for a single portion of 3 marla house in Anarkali is around PKR 27 thousand.
Commercial Properties in Anarkali, Lahore
Given how rife with business the markets here usually are, there are plenty of commercial properties for sale in Anarkali, Lahore.
Commercial properties listed in this area vary greatly in size. You will find shops as small as 0.4 marla or as big as 2 kanal. The price trend in general depends on the type of property and its location. A property that is commercially more attractive will always be much more expensive than the one located at a lower traffic area.
The price for a 1 marla shop in this area is PKR 2.9 crore. While the price varies between PKR 30 lakh and PKR 1.8 crore for commercial properties less than 1 marla in size. Again this vast variation is because of the location. The price trend for properties from 1.5 marla to 3 marla ranges from PKR 3 crore to 4.5 crore. However, the larger properties of 21 marla are available for PKR 10 crore.
The price for an office space of 8 marla with an attached bathroom is around PKR 15 lakh. However, such property is usually unfurnished, accounting for the slightly lower rates.
Commercial properties in Anarkali, Lahore are available on rent. The rent trend varies as per the size and location of the property. 3 marla properties are available for around 60 thousand per month while the rent for properties of 6 and 8 marla is around PKR 3 lakh.
SHOPPING, RESTAURANTS, AND BAKERIES
Malls near Anarkali, Lahore
Anarkali has a large market where almost all imaginable items are available. However, with mall culture trending, there has been tremendous development on that front as well. It is a convenient and smart way of shopping. Therefore, people have embraced it all over the world. Consequently, there are several malls in and near Anarkali, Lahore.
Most of the malls are located in Anarkali. There is only one famous mall near it - Panorama Mall. This mall is located on Mall Road near Panoramic Hotel. It is a short drive from Anarkali. While the mall offers clothing for both genders, it is especially famous for gents’ clothing. The two upper floors have an impressive variety for male wardrobe. However, the ground floor has several gold shops for women.
Inside Anarkali Bazaar, there is a mall, Q Fitness, dedicated solely to medical equipment and exercise machines. It is located on Nila Gumbad Road near YMCA Lahore. Riazuddin Shopping Centre on Katchery Road is an old style mall. It is located in a very busy area in Anarkali. It offers affordable rates for several items, especially clothing articles. Women prefer to buy traditional fabric from here.
Iqbal Trade Centre is another mall in this bazaar. It has numerous clothing shops including some brands. It is located on Ewing Road in Nila Gumbad. Finally, Anarkali Tower on Dhani Ram Road in the centre of the main bazaar is famous for different items.
Restaurants and Bakeries in Anarkali, Lahore
Lahoris are famous for their humongous appetites and a general appreciation for good food. Anarkali with its central location attracts customers and people in torrents on a daily basis. That makes it an ideal location for eateries. It is an easy business if you have something tasty to offer. Therefore, it is no surprise there are numerous restaurants and bakeries in and near Anarkali, Lahore.
In addition to the Food Street serving traditional food in Old Anarkali Bazaar, there are several other restaurants located in the area. These include the following:
- Café Euphoria is located on Mall Road near Anarkali Bus Stop. It is a coffee shop cum restaurant. It offers an aesthetically ambience to the customers.
- There are several eateries on Tourist Street. These include several shops for desi cuisine especially street food such as cholay, chaat, siri paye and BBQ. Other restaurants on this road are Haji Rehmat Restaurant, Quetta Hotel and Al-Tawhid Hotel.
- What A Paratha on MacLagan Road offers a variety of parathas.
- Chicken Cottage on Jamal-ud-Din Afghani Road is famous for its fried food it serves.
- There are quite a few famous restaurants on Mall Road as well near McLeod Road. These include Bundu Khan, Salt n’ Pepper and Lahore Cafeteria.
- Lasani Restaurant on Nisbat Road is a short drive of few minutes from Anarkali.
Bakeries in Anarkali are Mohkam Din and Sons and Al-Majeed Bakers. Gourmet Bakery is located on Temple Road, a short drive away from Anarkali. There are several other Gourmet branches located nearby. Punjab Bakery is also a famous bakery on Gawalmandi Chowk on Chamberlain Road.
OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES, FITNESS AND BEAUTY
Sports Facilities and Fitness Centres in and near Anarkali, Lahore
Physical health is as important as mental well-being. Developing an exercise routine helps you achieve both. Therefore, the presence of sports complex and grounds near any area is beneficial not just for the residents but also for the investors. There are several sports facilities and fitness centres in and near Anarkali, Lahore.
Following are some important sports ground present in the vicinity of Anarkali, Lahore:
- NA-125 Sports Complex previously known as Islamia Ground is located on Street Nagar at a driving distance of a few minutes from this area.
- UVAS Sports Ground is also located at a distance of around a kilometre from Anarkali. It is on university premises but is popular among the residents of the area.
- Other famous grounds are located at a 12 to 15 minutes’ drive from here. These are Punjab Athletics Stadium on Hafez Kardar Road, Samanabad Sports Complex on Ghazali Road and Griffin Badminton Club on Park Road.
Here are some of the most famous fitness centres located in and around Anarkali:
- Located in Nila Gumbad in Anarkali, i Fitness is a rather popular choice among the fitness freaks in this area
- Asia Fitness is located on Nila Gumbad Road in Anarkali
- Max Fitness Center and Gym on Umar Road in Islampura is a few minutes’ drive from Anarkali, Lahore
- Muscle hub gym & fitness centre in Rewaz Garden offers the latest exercise equipment
- Ibrahim fitness club on Farid Court Road on Mozang Chungi is less than a kilometre from this area
- Slimline Fitness on Mall Road is around 2 km from Anarkali and is extremely popular among the locals
- Shape Up Gym on Mozang Road is a short drive from Anarkali, Lahore
- Champion Health & fitness is also located on Mozang Road
Parks in and near Anarkali, Lahore
While fitness centres and sports facilities are a great way to take care of your health, many people need more than that. Walking in parks or going for picnics can refresh not just your physical health but it will also have a positive effect on your mental health. Therefore, it is a blessing there are several parks in and near Anarkali, Lahore.
The most famous park in the vicinity is the Iqbal Park. It is located on Ravi Road at a driving distance of around 5 minutes. The reason for its fame is the presence of Minar-e-Pakistan, a historically iconic monument, inside it.
Nasir Bagh in Lower Mall is located in Anarkali, Lahore. Other parks are located at a driving distance of 7 to 10 minutes from this area. These include Mori Gate Fitness Park in Mohalla Chiri Maran in Walled City of Lahore, Firdous Park in Sant Nagar, Afghan Park near Anarkali Tomb and Victoria Park in Mayo Gardens.
Other parks are a little further away from Anarkali. Notable ones include the following:
- Racecourse Park, located opposite Services Road on Jail Road at a driving distance of 12 minutes.
- Bagh-e-Jinnah is located on Mall Road. It is an 11 minutes’ drive from Anarkali
- National Park in National Town is located at a driving distance of 12 minutes
Moreover, the country's largest and most popular zoo, the Lahore Zoo is at a driving distance of around 5 minutes from Anarkali. It is located on Shahrah-e-Quaid-e-Azam on Mall Road in Jubilee Town. It was established in 1872. It is considered among the oldest zoos in the world. Currently, the zoo houses a total of 1378 animals belonging to around 135 species.
Many people including tourists visit the zoo. It is actively working for the protection and conservation of species in an ex-situ manner. In addition to an amazing Reptile House and Aviary, it has a vast collection of larger animals as well including chimpanzees, lions and elephants. Moreover, it has an exotic flora collection and a safari park.
Salons and Spas near Anarkali, Lahore
Taking care of one’s beauty is quintessential. Sometimes, going for walks in the park and indulging in physical activities are not enough. Sometimes you need a bit of professional pampering service such as new cut or a different look. This is where salons and spas can help you. There may not be many parlours in Anarkali but luckily, there are quite a few salons and spas near Anarkali, Lahore.
Following are the most popular salons located around Anarkali:
- Depilex Beauty Salon Shadman is around 13 minutes’ drive from this area
- Diva Beauty Salon on Zahoor Elahi Road is around 7 km from Anarkali
- Zara Beauty Parlour on Charagh Din Road is located at a distance of around 3 km from Anarkali market
- Royal Hair Dressers & Beauty Parlours in Rewaz Gardens is a 5 minutes’ drive from this market
- Alle'nora Annie's Signature Salons in Gulberg is around 9.5 km away. However, it is a popular salon and is thus visited by many despite the distance.
Museums, Monuments and Mausoleums in Anarkali, Lahore
In addition to mosques, there are several mausoleums located in and around the Anarkali, Lahore. The most important are Tomb of Anarkali, Tomb of Qutub-ud-Din Aibak and Data Durbar.
Mausoleum of Sultan Qutb-ud-Din Aibak
Mausoleum of Sultan Qutb-ud-Din Aibak is a historical landmark. It is situated on Aibak Road.
Sultan Qutub-ud-Din Aibak aka Lakh Buksh Sultan for his generous nature belonged to Mamluk Sultanate. He ruled the subcontinent from Delhi and added a lot to his kingdom. He was fond of Polo and died during a Polo game. His tomb is in Anarkali, Lahore.
The Archaeology Department of Pakistan by the order of the then Prime Minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto built this tomb in 1970’s. They have tried to copy the architectural design of the Sultanate era. Prior to this intervention, only his grave existed without any tomb in the midst of residential area.
Mausoleum of Anarkali
This is a historically significant, 16th century Mughal landmark. It is an octagonal building located on Punjab Civil Secretariat complex in Islampura. It has double dome structures with 8 arches that are 12 feet 3 inches long. Currently, it is used as Punjab Archives, which has led to minimal access to public.
It is located at a driving distance of a few kilometres from its namesake, Anarkali. According to the legends, Prince Salim aka Emperor Jahangir had built it for Anarkali. Emperor Akbar supposedly interred her alive at this spot. The epitome of the monument is the cenotaph. It has 99 names of Allah carved on it. The carving style and intricacy makes it one of the finest pieces of Mughal architecture.
Data Darbar is considered the biggest and most significant Sufi shrine of SouthEast Asia. This is the Mausoleum of the famous mystic, Hazrat Abul Hassan Ali Hijveri aka Data Gunj Baksh. Apparently, he lived here in the 11th Century. Currently, it is located near Jilani Road and touches the National Highway. You can reach this pious saint’s resting place in a few minutes from Anarkali.
This famous shrine was originally just a plain grave adjacent to a mosque built by Hijveri in the 11th century. However, with the increasing belief that the place is sacred with divine intervention, the number of disciples increased tremendously. This led to the building of a large shrine on his grave.
Today, the place is always crowded with disciples and tourists alike. An ‘Urs’ festival is held annually that attracts more than a million visitors.
The Lahore Museum is considered among the most prestigious and most visited museums of the country. It was established in 1865 during the rule of the British. The museum is known and praised for its amazing collection of traditional Buddhist art from the ancient kingdoms of Gandhara and Indo-Greek.
It has Tollinton Market and Zamzam Gun right in front of its building. Rudyard Kipling’s Kim made the museum especially popular because of its referral in the novel. The author’s father was a curator of this museum. Tourists also visit this museum for its architecture and historical importance.
There are several important areas near Anarkali, Lahore. The most significant is Data Darbar. It is a huge tourist attraction and is always filled with disciples of the pious saint. The famous national monument of the country, Minar-e-Pakistan is also located nearby in Iqbal Park.
Moreover, the mausoleum of the area’s namesake is located in Islampura. It is a beautiful octagonal building now used as military archives. Famous university of animal sciences, UVAS is located nearby. The famous tehsil, Gawalmandi touches Anarkali as well. It houses several important residential areas of Lahore including Defence.
THINGS TO CONSIDER
Anarkali, Lahore has a lot to offer in terms of commercial properties. However, there may be a few concerns regarding this location too. Firstly, Anarkali is not a suitable area if you are looking for residential homes or flats for either sale or rent. Yet, the place is ideal for investing in commercial properties thanks to its location and the business it brings.
Moreover, due to the ever-busy streets and continuous crowd, the location may not offer tranquillity. It is connected to several important roads and routes. Therefore, the traffic noise may also be a source of disturbance. There may be the concern of air and noise pollution.
However, the pros of the area surpass the cons. In addition to offering ease in terms of facilities, the place holds a historical significance. There is never a dearth of places for sightseeing. The area with its traditional touch creates the essence, which is characteristic of the city of Lahore.
Importance of Anarkali, Lahore from major locations nearby
- Mausoleum of Sultan Qutb-ud-din Aibak is situated at a distance of less than a kilometre from Anarkali market.
- The most popular markets of Anarkali are Dhoni Ram Lane, Bano Bazaar and Paan Gali.
- Data Darbar is located in the neighbourhood at a distance of around 3 km. It is crowded with tourists and disciples of the holy saint round the clock.
- It houses several distinguished educational institutes of the country including NCA, GCU and KEMU.
- Tomb of Anarkali is located in Islampura at a driving distance of 5 minutes from Anarkali. It is a 16th century beautiful, octagonal white building recognized for its historical and archaeological importance.
- Several Hospitals including Mayo Hospital and Lady Aitchison Hospital are located here
- Lahore Zoo, located on Shahrah-e-Quaid-e-Azam on Mall Rd in Jubilee Town is a drive of around 5 minutes from the Anarkali, Lahore