Basement waterproofing

Salam,
I have about 1300 sq feet basement in the plan and at the moment it is at the excavation stage. Can somebody please advise me as to what is the best method of waterproofing for the basement. Somebody suggested xypex c1000 powder which is mixed with the concrete. It costs around rs 350/kg and needs to be mixed 1kg of xypex with 50 kg cement. It makes crystals and fills the micro pores in the concrete. Theoretically after xypex admix no further waterproofing is required. Please comment on this and also advise other options. Many thanks in advance

Sir!

best way and permanent way is to use bituman membrane sheets, but it is much expansive than chemical treatment.

In chemical waterproofing treatment Your should flow these steps.

1. As you already suggested add XyperC1000 on concrete. Make sure the ratio and mixing of concrete will properly done.

2. After completion of concrete work add ULTRA SEAL

ELASTOMERIC CEMENTITIOUS COATING on plaster mortor.

1. After competition of plaster apply 3 liquid of Ultra seal or Universal Elastromatic coats.

*life of chemical is not more than 10 years.

for more information

Abdul Mateen

Civil Engineer

contact 03314739708

mateenmax@gmail.com

Many thanks Mateen saib,

Any idea as to how much cement bags would be required for the external RCC walls of of basement which is about 1350 sq feet. The external walls are about 2100 square feet (the length of the external RCC walls x 10 feet high (roughly). I need this to calculate the cost of the xypex powder. My contractor says about 200 bags will be required but I feel it will be much more than that. There is no raft required but concrete foundation will also need xypex (another 1350 sq feet). Many thanks

Sir please give me complete Dimensions(measurements) so i could easily estimate the required cement.

The length of RCC wall is about 200 feet long all around and the height is 10 feet and width is 9 inch.

Dear Sir,

Marble tiles also helps to prevent water leakage if would like to visit our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008591081126 ..different colors original Bunner district stock availible.

Thanks for watching.

Syed Raza

265 bags are required for basement walls.

for More suggestions

feel free to call.

Many thanks Mateen saib

I am going for Delta Admix 2000 which needs to be mixed with the concrete in a 2 % ratio (1 kg in a 50kg bag of cement) and costs around 90 rupees per KG. It is a integral crystal forming material and theoretically does not need any further waterproofing. However, to be on the safe side, I have decided to use Bituflex on the external walls with polythene sheets.

I have also been ddvised to sprinkle 1 inch thick admix 2000 on the joint between the footings/raft and the vertical concrete walls. In other words sprinkle the admix powder on the top of the footings before pouring the vertical concrete walls to seal it as this joint is the weakest point and prone to leakage.

Earlier I was going for xypex C1000 but that costs 350/kg and is out of stock.

No way…it’s all depends on the condition of soil…must consult some expert…if water table of the area don’t permit avoid basement…

Thanks for your advice Million$$$

I am not sure what do you mean by "no way"......

The soil test was carried out before starting the excavation and it could not locate the water table up to the maximum bore depth of 15 feet. Remember the basement depth is 10 feet, so the water table is AT LEAST 5 feet below the basement floor (it could be even further away). The moisture content at 15 feet depth was optimum.

The load bearing capacity at 6-9 feet depth was 0.94 N/sq feet.

We have excavated the basement now and the soil test is repeated again on the actual soil before compaction and after compaction. The plot is on height and the soil was all hills.....and we used a lot of machinery to break the stones, it is rock solid and theoretically it does not need any compaction but the society wants us to do it anyway. I am waiting for your useful comments. Thanks

Please consult some geotechnical expert with your data…if the plot is at height location than its OK, otherwise ordinary means (chemicals, bitumen, etc) cannot stop water ingress, seepages, etc in the basements. I have seen basements which become flooded during rainy season and people need to install pumps for continuous drainage…