Massonry vs raft foundations for a house?

I am constructing a 14 marla house in bahria, lahore. The contactors i have spoken to say that all bahria houses are built using massonry foundation as the soil is hard. I have read online that raft foundation with steel beams is more secure, but costly. Is it worth it to go for a raft foundation? Is a raft foundation needed?

No need raft foundation in Lahore and you can go ahead with same practice already ppls doing which is safe and cost effective.

You may carry on and hopefully you got your structure drawings from approved and qualified Engineer.

Feel free to ask anything you want.

Regards

Team dSA

92-333-4220989

Considering the size of your Building, I would suggest you to go for the frame structure building (Columns+beams) instead of conventional brick masonry construction. Yes it is little bit expensive but its more safer considering earthquakes, its durable and it has more life span then the bricks used construction house.

if you opt frame structure you would be having Isolated/strip foundations which is reinforced concrete and you can avoid bricks foundation, Isolated/strips foundations are same as Raft but the difference is that the reinforced concrete is poured only where required under the supports(columns) instead of pouring under whole building.

Last but not least if you are constructing basement then go for raft and start the columns from raft foundation.

Thank you both for your answers.

I went to see under-constructions home inside Bahria Town today and all the houses that I saw, that are at the foundation stage were being made without raft foundations and only houses that would have basements were having raft foundations.

What disadvantages would having a masonry foundation have? Is it more prone to seepage and cracks?

@Waqas

You don't need to worry as you don't have Basement and no need to do extra cost but if you intend to do that it's only your wish.

Regards

Team dSA

92-333-4220989