Selling a house but have lost the papers - what to do now.

Salam everyone,

My case is a bit complex and was wondering people who are aware of complex property laws etc. Can help me find a solution to the problem.

In short, i bought a house in 1970s in karachi but have lost all the papers. I'd like to sell the house. How should i proceed.

Here is a bit more detail.

1. Bought a house in 1970s in karachi
2. Due to various reasons, my dad bought it in his name.
3. I was given a power of attorney when i came back to karachi by my dad.
4. I placed the power of attorney securely but then it slipped my mind and i never formally changed the ownership to my name
5. Then at some point my power of attorney letter was stolen.
6. My dad has also died by now.
7. Everyone on the street knows that it is my house as my dad etc lived here since 1970s.
8. I would like to sell the house now.
9. But i dont seem to have any documentary evidence.
10. What legal options do i have to get the house papers back, to allow me to sell the house.

I have been to a few lawyers but they have not been very helpful and insists on "finding" back the papers which are lost/stolen.

Thanks. I look forward to any comments from people who have dealt or come across similar situations in the past.

Thanks

If you are the only heir to your father, all you need to get are duplicate ownership papers from the relevant authority. In case of multiple heirs, you will require that they give up the rights to the property.