Renovation at current Islamabad International Airport

Has anyone seen renovation going on at current Islamabad International Airport which includes centrally air conditioned international departure lounge (which may be extended to other lounges) and renovated car parking.

What does this renovation mean ?

1) Are they not planning to complete new Islamabad Airport any time soon? Why would they spend so much money if new airport is in making.

2) Or as i heard some rumours, the New Islamabad Airport will be handed over to army/air force and army/air force will leave Chaklala base and current airport ?

I am just trying to understand what is going on ?

They even made a new building just next to the main entrance, I am not sure what building is that.

Anyone has an idea ?

The Islamabad airport was voted the worst in the world according to a survey conducted by Sleeping in Airports:

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/2014/worst-airports.htm

Maybe the CAA took this to heart and is trying to improve the facilities in the current airport before the new one is finished.

Even if the new airport is being made, existing airport will have some purpose and probably used by airforce. So no problem in renovation if we take it positively. Armed force will be more comfortable in using existing airport instead of new one.

On the negative side , it gives weight to the argument that Malik Riaz lobby doesn't want to have th new airport in operation.

BUT B.RMalik sab,

BAHRIA is supposed to be a friend of and being closed to previous regime for big donations,

Today's horses are not that race hungry?

SO how could bahria influence the race direction?

Probably you are right. But I can't figure out why new airport is delayed so much. Present government has absolutely no interest in completing it. They making things more and more complicated instead of simplifying it.

Malik Riaz theory is due to Chakri airport rumour at the start of this govt. Bahria dealers buy this theory a lot.

The way Ch.Nisar returned FIA investigation report about corruption in New Airport saying that the report is not proper, it was strange. The news item only give a feeling as the present government just want to delay it. I am very regular reader of all the leading newspapers since childhood. Something fishy is clearly evident "behind the headline" and it's purpose of implanting the item with a particular tilt.

Replied. But reply with held.

Agreed with B.R Malik,

it's true there is some lobby who don't want new Airport because it will danger for zone5 where grazing for powerful horses.

Regards

It is a routine work, they are going to renovate it for the time being, plus, new airport will take time before it’s complete.

The old airport will still remain operational for VVIP arrivals as well as maybe for some domestic flights. Major part of it will however be handed back to the PAF. Plus the new airport will take about 2 more years before it becomes operational, which is a significant time period and you cant allow the existing facility to decay while you wait for the new airport to open. Remember, Islamabad airport is the second most busiest airport in the country even now, after Karachi.

Ibrahim Suheyl: thanks for the pointer, Islamabad airport is indeed the worst in the world, specially its international lounge, which is no better than our worn out railway stations. CAA should be ashamed of itself ranking world’s top worst airports.

Isloo, i suggest you to please check the duty free shop at Islamabad Airport, lol, it contains some packs of cigarettes only…

Dear Nasir bahi,

Agreed with you but you forget there is also some packs of Multani Sohan Halwa.

Regards

I don't think that the renovation of existing airport means that the government does not intend to build New Islamabad International Airport.

Renovation is a routine process, it doesn't mean anything fishy.

Regards,
Zain Nadeem