Earthquakes and Load Bearing Walls - Rethinking Methods and Building Codes

In view of the earthquake in Lahore, there is a need to rethink the load-bearing-walls model for house construction. This method is prevalent in construction of houses in most of Pakistan. For plazas and other multiple storey buildings, the column frame structure is already preferred. In Islamabad, the construction trend for the last many years is column-based construction even for houses.

With the recent earthquake in Lahore and the tremors we often experience particularly in northern Punjab, it is high time we reevaluate construction techniques all over Pakistan.

The government should enforce proper building codes and regulations.

Summary of my research on the issue:-

"During an earthquake, a wave moves from the rock to the soil and then into the structure, creating a sway in the structure. The key to designing an earthquake-resistant structure is to build a ductile structure rather than a stiff structure. The extent of damage to a structure during an earthquake depends upon the distance of the epicentre from the structure horizontally as well as vertically below the ground. If the epicentre is closer to the surface, the damage tends to be larger in structures that are not resistant to earthquakes. It also depends on the type of soil. During earthquakes, certain soil such as sandy soil or deposited layers undergo soil liquefaction, causing greater damage to structures. Soil liquefaction is essentially when the soil bubbles, heaves or surges to the top surface under great pressure.

Earthquake-resistant design is essentially about ensuring that the damage to buildings during earthquakes is of an acceptable variety, with zero human loss and also that they occur at the right places and within acceptable ranges. In load bearing structures, the brick walls are thick (between 6 inches to 1 foot) and carry the load to the foundation. It may have beams and the slab is typically made of concrete with steel reinforcement. Framed structures, are made of concrete and steel and the load is carried by columns or shear walls to the foundation resting on concrete piles.

Load bearing structures have low resistance to earthquake. The bricks are stiff and have no way to either pull the structure in the direction opposite of the sway or be ductile enough to allow for small movement in the structure. Load bearing structures exhibit instantaneous failure and fall like a pack of cards.

One way to avoid such catastrophic failure in load bearing structures is to create a disconnect between the foundation of the building and the rest of the above ground structure by using the base isolation method or levitating the building during earthquake from its base by having an air compressor fill air between the foundation and upper storeys. Such methods have been recently adopted in USA and Japan, but is not very prevalent in Pakistan.

It is essential to have properly constructed in-fill walls so as to strengthen the buildings. Such strengthening should be done in consultation with a registered structural engineer.

Another method to reduce failure during earthquakes is to design a strong core shear wall. If the shear wall is designed as per relevant code, it can provide necessary stiffness to reduce excessive sway during the earthquake. This is typically done by providing proper core walls as well as by providing base isolation systems but this is generally recommended in taller buildings where they also provide tuned mass dampers and shock absorbers. Tuned mass dampers are essentially a pendulum with a specific viscous fluid which moves the building in the opposite direction of the structure’s natural frequency, thereby avoiding catastrophic failures. Other types of energy dissipation devices such as friction dampers and yielding dampers are also adopted to reduce damage during earthquakes."

Credit - Various sources on internet.

Can someone inform about the cost difference scenario of both methods, load bearing brick walls verses RCC column frame structures?

It is really very important to revise contortion trend and material after this earthquake. Construction companies must be aware of modern techniques and innovation in this field to stand a business that could bear such incidents. Amer Adnan Associates is a good architectural design and construction company who is using modern ways for home construction and taking care of such things to get rid of any bad incident.

Load bearing walls and bricks is a dangerous combination in earthquake of 6.5 and above on the richter scale.

Load bearing walls would be very dangerous in 6.5 earthquake…

@ HT

Sir in column base construction is there any standard that after how much wall span a column should be made?

e.g if my wall span is 45 feet how many columns should be made considering three story building.

Dear fahad

according to strucure engineering maximum span of a economical design is 10 to 12 feet is enough.othrwise you can design of 100'span but it will be most expencive.

For your wall,you need 5 coloum of equal span.

Coloum size 12"to 15" is enough.

I agree with ARMCO.

Maximum distance between 2 pillars should not be more than 10-12 feet if using 1/2 (adhi) Inch steel. As in your case there should be 4 pillars... In case you want the span of 15 feet than you can still use the same steel but the rings on the pillar and beams need to be at 8 inches distance that increases the strength of pillar and beams by 50% to 80% with maximum cost of Rs.1500.This way you will increase the strength and save money on 2 pillars

Modern engineering became successful because of saving costs and time.

@ Fahad i hope this is a house and not commercial building

One more point i would like to add to this topic is

We use to built 9 inch walls for load bearing structure. Now we are using pillar and beams for load bearing and still 9 inch walls. Our engineers are very short sighted. In a pillar and beams structure there is no need for 9 inch walls they are only used for partitions no weight is on the walls so no point making it so strong.

Sorry to say we are living in a community where they believe that our ancestors used this method so will we. Ppl abroad are making houses in weeks now rather than spending months and years plus saving on cost.

Rest it depends on every ones choice.

HT what about the fact that thicker walls insulate better against noise, heat and cold?

@HT

Thanks for your appreciation

Yes i agree they do but than why spend too much money to achieve the goals of noise and heat/cold.

Spending too much money on bricks and cement on the other hand there are certain types of foams available in Pakistan that can be sprayed on the walls that are perfect for insulation and costs around 50,000 for 7 marla house.

Walls do server the propose of noise and heat/cold insulation but they are not meant for that.The walls are partition and in some cases to bear the weight now that you have transferred all the weight on pillars and beams.Still we are spending the same amount of cash on walls. Now when you say that insulation than we must use the proper remedy for the requirement and that is not thick walls.

Hassan in the Gulf region the average life of a house is 20 years or so. After 20 years maintenance cost, pesticide, low rental and things like that mean it is not feasible to keep the same house. On the other hand in Europe houses were traditionally built to last a few centuries. In Pakistan, it is neither as short term as Gulf nor as long term as Europe. In Pakistan we build our house to last about 40 to 100 years. Let me know if the mindset is different?

So for this type of medium to long term construction, don't you think it makes more sense to go for solid walls as compared to single brick partition walls? After all cost of extra bricks and masonry is not that much.

Finally, do you recommend pillar system even for Lahore and give reasons please. Thanks.

@ HT @ Armco

Thank you so much for such a valuable information. Jazakllah.

@ HT. Yes i am asking for a house and not a commercial building.

one more thing please confirm:

how should we lay steel bar net in the footing of column?

Dear fahad

if the span is 10'to 12'then 4'x4'or 5'x5' footing is enough.

If you want to use 0.5"steel bars for footing then make a double net on the space of 6"centre to centre.

Recomendded is 0.75"steel bars on the space of 4"to 6" cc single net.

Remember using of concrete viberator always gives a better result.

@ ARMCO @ HT

can you please guide.

i live in Gujrat. About to start construction work of my house.

i have decided to go with Ittehad Steel but could not find Ittehad Steel here in gujrat.

is it possible i can order and it be delivered in Gujrat.

From their factory i found their contact detail from internet:

ITTEHAD STEEL RE-ROLLING MILLS

Plot No.417, Sector I/9 Industrial Area, Islamabad 44000, Capital, Pakistan

Thank you and Regards,

Fahad

@ Fahad

What steel brands you offered there in Gujrat.