Property Tax- New Agreement Reached !

As per the news on electronic media, after holding discussions directly with Finance Minister Ishaq Dar finally a new agreement has been reached regarding the proposed property taxes. It seems that either the property stalwarts have negotiated well or the government has shown remarkable flexibility, or maybe a bit of both. The main points officially announced in a press conference by the Minister are:

1. Property evaluation will not be done by State Bank evaluators but by FBR (read progressive revision of DC rates).

2. Threshold of property price for advance tax deduction increased from 30 lakhs to 40 lakhs.

3. CGT period reduced from 5 years to 3 years.

4. CGT rate revised from flat 10% for 5 years to 10% in year 1, 7.5% in year 2 and 5% in year 3.

5. New laws will be applicable to all transactions carried out After 30th June, 2016.

From the looks of it, sounds like a very decent outcome to me. What do members think?

Very positive outcome…Market may get a quick push after this in my opinion.

I agree with you on that Saadi. We might see a Recoil effect in the market within next 1-2 weeks. Lets see how it plays out.

Mubarak ho Mubarak ho!! Jashan Manao! Kaho Ishaq Dar Zindabad!!

Sounds like a good agreement.The Big question here is that what are the new prices by FBR for different areas like DHA, Bahria etc…

Its positive indeed

Very bright chances of positive push in market at least for short term gains.

These were settled issues. The real concern was and is the VALUATION of property price in major cities. All the short term investors are expected to pay huge capital gains on their properties sell out due the difference in Price valuation.

NR sir nothing to worry about…Some mutually agreed figures are finalized and would be publicized soon.

Saadi, I doubt…but lets hope for the best. Those who already filing returns will be real victims as usual.

Still there will be an element of uncertainty in the market will cause either the property value down or slow transactions or both as valuation will be in the hands of FBR, this year or next, they are authority to increase it according to actual market rate. Seems like it’s a deliberate way out from govt. To black money holders to settle their properties before the actual push from FBR.

Dear friends congratulation. Finaly a fair workable out come on taxes. Basicly no major changes from last year. Market will insha Allah recover now and trading should start with normal pace like before July 1st 2016

FBR to set market prices once a year and capital gain tax to recieved on market rates for 3 years at these rates. Aftrer 3 years ZERO tax on profits on property sales. FBR market rates will be about 200% to 300% higher than current DC rates.

Capital gain tax will be 10% for first (Same as last year no change here)

Capital gain tax will be 7.5% for second year ( Was 5% last year so increase 2.5%)

Capital gain tax will be 5% for third year ( Was 0% last year so increase of 5% )

Property purchased before July 1st 2016 will have a flat 5% capital gains tax sold any times within 3 years . Even if sold today only 5%.

0.4% Withholding tax will be charged for over 40 lacs values only ( Was charged at 30 lacs last so good news here now amount 10 lacs higher). Lower priced plots will be seeing more demand due to this change. Lower priced properties will gain strong in future.

There is no withholding or capital gain tax on any property below 40 lakhs worth so files like Lake City Lahore 5 or 7 maarla will gains strongest. Insha Allah

Please check this video too

https://youtu.be/vsyNEvoTNHg

Continued editing with latest new information being update here.....

http://www.lahorerealestate.com/ads/index.php

and here

https://www.facebook.com/Lahore-Real-Estate-119021218141413/

Your friend.

Choudry Mujahid Yasin ( CMY )

+16308024186 & +923224929992

Finance Division

Press Release

July 30, 2016

On the issue of Valuation of Property and related tax matters, the Federal Minister for Finance held successful talks with the property evaluators from all over the country at the Federal Board of Revenue on late Saturday evening. The main points of this discussion as agreed are:

· Valuation has been agreed for major cities

· Valuation tables will be notified by FBR instead of valuation by SBP approved valuers

· Till such time and for those areas for which no valuation tables are notified, DC rate will apply

· Holding period for CGT(capital gain tax) has been reduced from 5 to 3 years

· There will be no CGT on property held for more than 3 years

· Properties acquired on or after 1st July 2016:

o If holding period is up to 1 year - CGT 10%

o If holding period is between 1 and 2 years - CGT 7.5%

o If holding period is between 2 and 3 years - CGT 5%

o If holding period is more than 3 years - CGT 0% / exempt

· Properties acquired before 1st July 2016:

o If holding period is less than 3 years - CGT 5%

o If holding period is more than 3 years - CGT 0% / exempt

· Valuation will apply on (i) CGT (ii) withholding taxes (iii) for the purposes of sec 111

· Basic threshold of Rs 3 million for application of withholding tax on purchase of immovable property enhanced to Rs 4 million

· Appropriate legislation will be done to give effect to the proposed changes as agreed with all stakeholders

Khurram SHah sb…Its not like that every property would be evaluated by FBR…Real estate associations are not the congregation of kids. Table would be declared every year with mutual consensus and would be applicable throughout the year…And obviously the tables are revised at concessional rates and not at market value.

If you listen carefully to the video which has been shared by CMY in his post above, it answers all the questions. I have to say Ishaq Dar is very shrewd. In his press conference, he has said everything between the lines but without saying anything explicitly. In one part you can actually see Haroon Akhter quietly signaling to the media persons that "This" is the answer so that they can understand what Dar is really talking about!

I will try and prepare a list from the video identifying specific portions within the clip where he has addressed different points so that everyone can carefully listen to what he is saying about that particular issue.

@ Kashif…Sir what actually you are trying to point out?

Saadi what I am saying is that Ishaq Dar played it very diplomatically. After having made such a big deal out of maligning the real estate business, it was not possible for him to candidly say that Govt has effectively backed out of some of its most ambitious proposals. For example, if you listen to the video, he says we are not announcing any new amnesty scheme. But when you listen to what he is saying about dealing with past transactions, you can easily make out that what he is saying is effectively, an amnesty scheme. No wonder one of the reporters from Jang group, considered very close to the govt, even made it his front page headline today. Same applies to many other things, like progressively revising DC rates over a number of years rather than in one go etc. Overall, a very positive outcome for the real estate market.

You are right sir…we may see market bouncing back and a reasonable boom can be the result.

I am not fully aware of how this law will effect individual transaction. However today I was in meeting with 2-3 dealers and sellers. My impression is that compared to last two weeks today their mood is very much changed from before. Looks like yesterday was last day to pick up any bargains if there were any :confused:

Dear Saadi Sb,

What's the surety that FBR will be giving concessional rates? I guess it will need some time to clear the situation once after FBR declares new rates officially and transactions take place within the proposed laws. But there seems some dealers not satisfied with the recent agreement between Government officials and Real estate association reps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ab6HkRqZ3k

Dears. I am not aware of tax/property terminologies. Can you explain in simple words tax on below scenarios.

1: i am selling plot of 30lac. How much tax will be paid by buyer and seller.

2: i am selling house worth with price of 1 crore. How much tax will be paid by me and buyer.