Block Vs Brick Construction???

Which is the better option block or brick construction?

As per google R&D biggest advantage of block construction is temperature & seepage control, but which is more reliable in terms of safety, security, life of construction, earth quakes, quality of construction etc.

Hi,

In my opinion, block construction would be a better option. It is seldom seen these days, so its a unique thing.

Regards, Z@in n@deem

Actually now a days in northern areas and above islamabad if you got strong navigation is they are using specifically blocks for construction because they are comparatively cheaper and you can use insulation in between them, if not even they protect you better from harsh weathers.

Depending on details like quality, application, etc

In my opinion blocks are better than bricks.

Brick wall construction are one of the most time & labour consuming itmes.
One brick block is almost equals to 4 bricks in size and hence brick is cosuming more labour and material.
Finshing of brick is also time consuming vs. Block is already finished & cured.
Add rebars in block construction for earth quake safety at every corners horizontally at least two layers in full wall height.

I had a discussion with different constructors on-site and they discourage block construction due to following reasons, is this true?

Its not good for construction, where load is more on walls than frames? E.G. For plaza's frame structure is built first and then walls but for homes, frames(beams & columns are dependent upon walls)

2) there is hardly any good variety available, so most of the blocks are not good in terms of quality

3) houses built on blocks get cracked with time

4) there are no/hardly any good mistri's available who do construction on blocks

5) they is no sound proofing between rooms when block is used between them as sound easily pass from one room to other, so privacy challenge

5) when plumbing or electricity work start and its time for breaking the walls for setting the paths for pipes, blocks suffered badly and difficult to maintain

Only good advantages i have heard is rapid construction & temperature control

I have seen some construction sites where they use the column method but instead of using blocks in between the columns, they use bricks. What is the technical benefit or disadvantage of this?

As per my info, they follow column structure to give more strength to their structure, but they follow bricks as per day to day practice and easy construction

Columns and beam are framed structure.Where slab & walls transfer load to beams and beams to columns.So at the end all load bear on foundation.In this case brick, blocks or other material used for wall are not taking structural load except own weight and these are non-load bearing walls.

May be it is difficult to use blocks ... How can we say that the walls are non load bearing? Every thing is placed on the walls :) Beam still rests on walls

Yes i agree to fahad and same is my opinion, can any architect better guide about this?

Beam can rest on walls or columns.If there is no columns under beams then beam rest on walls .

In punjab go for bricks ,near sea blocks are better…Do not want to give logic but i think so :slight_smile:

I mean you said a same thing twice brother shakeel .. Ok tell me one thing ??? How many columns you have in you bedroom most probably none ... I said the same thing you said it here but we are deviating from the topic that was bricks or blocks which is a better option for construction..

So what is the conclusion?

Which is better:- brick or block.

Personally, i think if i invest on my own house for living i would go for bricks for the sake of strength and longevity.

Sir column construction saves the house from earth quick effects and it is better as compared to blocks in my view point, scientifically speaking the structure built from blocks is less stable as compared to structure built from bricks.

I personally will go for brings and do, even though block construction is quicker its not reliable, It may be good if you are building something temp

I think blocks are good because of

It will keep your house cool if you are using blocks with whole

The house structure based on columns so walls are just partitions

It will same construction time too

Most of the countries people are using blocks because even they don't have bricks available in marking.

So I think technically blocks arebetter than bricks but again ask some civil Eng. Too

As per my knowledge of Civil engineering below are the replies as per @kashif discussion with contractors:

Its not good for construction, where load is more on walls than frames?

E.G. For plaza's frame structure is built first and then walls but for homes, frames(beams & columns are dependent upon walls)

ANS: "NOT TRUE, LOAD BEARING BLOCKS ARE AVAILABLE IN MARKET, COMPRESSIVE STRENGTH OF BRICK IS 800-900PSI, however for properly made bloc it is 2000 PSI."

2) there is hardly any good variety available, so most of the blocks are not good in terms of quality

ANS: "Again not True, first what variety is there in bricks that we want to see in blocks"

ANS: "Again not true, Cracks in houses usually come due to Poor foundation work, and Bad mortar used, it has nothing to do with bricks or blocks"

4) there are no/hardly any good mistri's available who do construction on blocks

ANS:" This answer our " Thekedar" will give u because he or his labour does not know how to work with blocks, so to undermine it such excuses"

5) they is no sound proofing between rooms when block is used between them as sound easily pass from one room to other, so privacy challenge

ANS:" is it only me or any body else find above sound proofing answer funny :), however bricks do offer less sound transmission

5) when plumbing or electricity work start and its time for breaking the walls for setting the paths for pipes, blocks suffered badly and difficult to maintain

ANS: its both ways, in KARACHI 100% construction is via blocks, what do you think how they are doing plumbing if it is not possible or as bad as this thekedar is saying"

Kashif - check out www.ecobricks.com.pk and https://www.facebook.com/ecoenterprisesltd

So, your contractors are spewing lies because they want to make way more money off you and they haven't figured out how to do the same with blocks. I am familiar with Eco Blocks.

1. Its not good for construction, where load is more on walls than frames?

E.G. For plaza's frame structure is built first and then walls but for homes, frames(beams & columns are dependent upon walls)

[QUOTE=""]

Eco Blocks are loadbearing upto 3 stories so no columns required. Each blocks is 8.5" thick.

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=""]

Bricks are worse. Eco Blocks are 1,500+ psi, stronger than most bricks. These are loadbearing, bulletproof, earthquake resistant to 7 on richter scale, withstand windspeed of upto 140kph etc.

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=""]

Total nonsense! Eco Blocks are sturdier and stronger than bricks.

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=""]

Eco Blocks does not need mortar between blocks. AS such, you can build with unskilled labour. The company sends their team to train your unskilled labour. Alternatively, they can build for you.

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=""]

Eco Blocks are soundproof!

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=""]

Eco Blocks has horizontal conduits so you can insert wiring and pipes as you build. More efficient and cheaper than blocks.

[/QUOTE]

Dear Users,

In my opinion solid concrete block are good but it expensive then bricks.

Hollow block depend on quality of the material.

Thanks & Regards,

Zayad Mohsin