Electrical problems can be of different types and they may occur in your home without any warning. They can either strike in the form of flickering lights, faulty switches or malfunctioning appliances, which often leads to circuit overload. Such types of problems need to be fixed in time to prevent any possible electrical hazards. So, what causes these electrical issues to occur and how can they be prevented? To guide you in this regard, we are going to list down and discuss some of the most common home electrical problems to understand their causes and we’ll also be giving you some handy tips to avoid them in this blog.
So, let’s begin!
The Most Common Home Electrical Problems and Their Solutions
Some of the most common electrical issues in a home have been listed and discussed as under:
- Unexpected Power Surge
- Faulty Electrical Sockets
- Damaged Electrical Wiring
- Flickering Lights
- Circuit Overload
Unexpected Power Surge
Electrical surges can be a result of anything such as damaged power lines, faulty appliances, and loose electrical connections in your house. A power surge may actually last for only a microsecond but it can easily damage the electrical components connected to your home power supply as well as degrade their life expectancy.
If you experience unexpected electrical surges, the culprit may probably be a malfunctioning electrical device connected to the power grid in your home or the wiring itself. Avoid connecting any cheaply made devices or powerboards from the electrical outlets in your house to see if this prevents the surges. Otherwise, you can also call the energy company supplying power to your home and get the power lines in your area inspected for any possible damage or fault.
Faulty Electrical Sockets
Faulty electrical sockets and switches are one of the most common home electrical problems. So, how to identify if your switch is faulty? If a plug-in appliance doesn’t work, try checking the wire attached first. If the connection is still intact, plug in the same appliance into any other socket. If it works there, it means your electrical switch could be faulty and need replacing. Moreover, you can also learn about the best placements for electrical switches in your home here and work on ways to avoid electrical issues in your home.
Electrical Socket Price In Pakistan
The price of a good electrical socket and switchboard in Pakistan ranges between PKR 500-2000.
Note: The aforementioned electrical socket price in Pakistan may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and also depends on the power output and capacity of electrical connections of your chosen unit.
Damaged Electrical Wiring
There are many ways to find out if the electrical wiring in your home is damaged or not. Check for burning, smoky smell or any other type of odd odors at the point of the electrical outlets in your home. This could be one of the signs of the burning or damaged electrical wiring in your home, which may lead to hazardous incidents like short circuits and electrical fire. However, short circuits may also be caused by the accidental contact between electrical components and unintended diversion of the electric current. So, it is always recommended to install electrical cables in your home that are of good quality and have a high endurance to withstand sudden electrical overloads. Installing durable electrical cables in your home can be an effective solution to common electrical problems in homes.
Different types of electrical issues in a home may lead to flickering lights. This may also be due to damaged electrical wiring, frequent electrical surges, faulty light bulbs or loose connections. If it’s your faulty bulb, then you can always replace it with a new one. It may cost you around PKR 150-500 to buy a new energy saver or an LED bulb. It is one of the most cost-effective ways to prevent electrical problems in your home. However, if you are confused choosing among the two aforementioned light bulb options, then our energy saver vs. LED bulb debate can help you make an informed choice in this regard.
Circuit overload is one of the most common electrical problems in a home. One of the biggest reasons for frequent circuit breaker tripping is due to the overloading of the installed power boards around your living space. Most apartments and homes, even which are newer constructions, don’t usually have enough power points to cater to different types of home appliances and electrical equipment, for instance, if you a complete home theater unit arrangement in your living room, you just can’t connect it to a single power board. Doing so may overload the system and cause harm to your home wiring and connected appliances. Well, let’s find out how to prevent frequent circuit breaker tripping and learn more about ways to avoid electrical problems in your home.
- Never keep the devices plugged-in that aren’t in use (for example, phone chargers and power adapters as they may still draw power even when switched off). It can also be an effective solution to common electrical problems in homes.
- Don’t overburden a single circuit and spread your connections around the entire house. Make sure your home has enough electrical outlets.
- Avoiding the use of extension cords is one of the best ways to prevent electrical problems in your home since extension cords may turn your living space into a mess of wires. Moreover, they can catch fire or get damaged in case of an electrical overload or an unexpected power surge.
- Keep a check on the connected devices around the home. See what’s in use, and unplug every other thing that is unnecessary.
Effective Ways to Reduce Your Electricity Bill
If you want to reduce your electricity bill, you need to take note of the following tips:
- Switch to electrical appliances that usually come with built-in power inverters. Such devices are easily available in the market. For instance, you can go for installing an inverter AC instead of the normal one since it consumes less power. Here are some key differences between an inverter AC and a normal AC and find out why ACs with inverter technologies are considered eco-friendly and energy-efficient. On a side note, you can take a look at our blog If you want to learn about some eco-friendly alternatives to everyday items.
- Identify any faulty electrical devices that may result in frequent power surges and electrical overloads. This is one of the most important ways to avoid electrical problems in your home.
- Unplug appliances, power adapters and chargers when they are not in use.
- One of the most effective ways to reduce your electricity bill is getting all the fluorescent bulbs in your home replaced by LED bulbs or energy savers. These light bulbs can save you tonnes of electrical units in longer runs, cutting down your high electricity bills.
Note: You can also read our blogs discussing some useful energy saving tips at home and ways to reduce your electricity bill during summer to learn about more ways to cut down your utility bills and make your home energy efficient.
These were some of the most common home electrical problems and their solutions. We hope that this blog will help you in avoiding such electrical issues in your home. If you have any questions or feedback, feel free to get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On a side note, you may also be interested in reading our blogs in which we have discussed some important home fire safety precautions you should know about and gave you some useful kitchen safety tips. Moreover, if you want to receive regular updates from our blog section, you can subscribe to our email newsletter.
Meanwhile, keep reading Zameen Blog, the country’s leading lifestyle and property blog, for more informative pieces and lifestyle guides. You can also connect with us on Facebook and Instagram for the latest updates. Don’t forget to follow Zameen News to stay up-to-date with current affairs.