The Excise and Taxation Department, Punjab, also officially known as the Excise, Taxation, and Narcotics Control Department, is an organisation run by the provincial government of Punjab to perform a range of duties and collect various taxes from both individuals and businesses. Here is everything you should know about the Excise, Taxation, and Narcotics Control Department of Punjab, and how to use their tax calculators to your benefit.
About the Excise and Taxation Department, Punjab
Keeping taxpayer facilitation in mind, the Excise and Taxation Department, Punjab, primarily focuses on creating a taxpaying culture and easing the taxpayers’ journey towards becoming a filer by helping them calculate their dues online with ease. The department also performs the important function of the collection of taxes from the general public as well as businesses across Punjab.
Several acts and their amendments over the years have made the authority what it is today, a digital means of helping taxpayers in every way possible. The biggest proof of that is the ePay Punjab app, a convenient and quick Android application that helps taxpayers with their tax filing woes in the province, in collaboration with the Punjab Information Technology Board (PITB). But this is just the beginning of the digitisation of the Excise, Taxation, and Narcotics Control Department, Punjab. The organisation has several plans to innovate and streamline its processes even further for all the residents of the province.
Core Functions of the Organisation
There are 5 core functions of the Excise and Taxation Department, which are:
- Collecting Provincial Taxes or Fees
- Collecting Federal Taxes
- Registration of Motor Vehicles
- Dealer Vehicle Registration System
- Auctions Held for Attractive Registration Marks
Let’s discuss each one below.
1. Collecting Provincial Taxes or Fees
There are 9 different types of provincial taxes collected by the Excise and Taxation Department for the provincial government. These include:
- Property Tax – To be paid by all property owners, irrespective of whether they own a house or a piece of land
- Motor Vehicles Taxes – To be paid by all owners of motor vehicles, including motorcycles, buses, rickshaws, trucks, taxis, farming and construction vehicles, as well as private cars
- Excise Duty – To be paid by anyone involved in the business of liquor, medicinal opium, and other narcotics
- Professional Tax – Another name for income tax, which is to be paid by all businesses and employees in the province of Punjab
- Entertainment Duty – A payment charged for entering or hosting any form of entertainment, including exhibitions, sports games, dramas and plays, performances, and more
- Cotton Fee – A fee paid to the provincial government by all factories producing and processing cotton
- Farmhouse Tax – To be paid by those farmhouse owners whose property falls outside the bounds of regular property tax
- Luxury House Tax – To be paid by property owners in addition to property tax if their house meets the specific requirements of location and covered space
- Medicinal Opium – Fee which is to be paid by anyone running a medicinal opium factory in Punjab
2. Collecting Federal Taxes
There are two other taxes that the authority collects for the federal government, which are:
- Income Tax – To be paid on any income earned by the sale of vehicles at a federal level
- Withholding Tax (WHT) – WHT applicable on vehicles on a federal level
3. Registration of Motor Vehicle
The Department of Excise and Taxation, Punjab, oversees the registration of both local and imported vehicles, as well as the transfer of ownership of registered vehicles. The Excise, Taxation, and Narcotics Control Department created the Motor Transport Information Management System (MTMIS) Punjab for this very purpose, to ease the process of vehicle verification in the province. You can check out our guide that includes the step-by-step instructions to verify your vehicle’s registration in Punjab.
4. Dealer Vehicle Registration System
The Dealer Vehicle Registration System or DVRS prevents the sale of unregistered vehicles in Punjab by creating a network of trustworthy dealers licenced under the Punjab Motor Vehicle transaction Licensees Act 2015, and are given access to the MTMIS system. These dealers will register your vehicle for you as soon as you purchase it.
Individual customers will require a number of documents for DVRS, whether they are undertaking the vehicle registration process with the help of a dealer or via MTMIS. But DVRS is primarily performed by the customer upon the sale and transference of vehicle ownership from the seller to the buyer on a level that involves no third-party or dealer.
5. Auctions Held for Attractive Registration Marks
The Excise and Taxation authority also hosts an auction from time to time to sell attractive registration marks to the general public. A registration mark is commonly known as the vehicle’s number plate, and some alphanumeric combinations are obviously more desirable than others for many car owners, making the auction an event worth waiting for.
Services Offered by the Authority
There are also ten services offered by the Department of Excise and Taxation, Punjab, for the general public, including:
- Online Payment of Excise Duty
- Online Appointments for Personal Visits
- Online Verification of Registered Vehicles
- UIPT Property Tax Calculator
- System for Online Verification of Property Tax
- Cotton Fee Management Information System
- Income & Professional Tax Calculator
- Online Tax Calculator for Motor Vehicles
- Tax Calculator for Entertainment Duty
- Excise Duty Calculator
Here’s a quick overview of each one.
1. Online Payment of Excise Duty
The online payment of all dues and taxes has been made easier with the launch of the ePay Punjab app. Simply log in and pay your dues for up to 14 different taxes conveniently. Check out our guide on ePay Punjab for more assistance. This is just the first of the many digital services offered by the Department of Excise and Taxation.
2. Online Appointments for Personal Visits
If you would prefer to visit your local office to avail any of the services offered by this organisation, especially those associated with motor vehicle registration, you can consider booking an appointment online to reduce your wait time.
3. Online Verification of Registered Vehicles
With the MTMIS, it is also fairly easy to verify a vehicle’s registration status. Add your vehicle number into the space provided for a detailed result.
4. UIPT Property Tax Calculator
UIPT refers to Urban Immovable Property Tax, and you can easily calculate your property tax and luxury tax online by using this service. Start by filling the form shown in the screenshot above to calculate your property tax. Click the luxury tax tab for a different form that gives you information about your dues in that category. You can also determine your category if you are unsure about which tax is applicable to your real estate, as well as finding help, information, and assistance regarding property taxes in Punjab with the service.
5. System for Online Verification of Property Tax
Wondering if your property tax has been unpaid during any fiscal year? Enter the Property Identification Number (PIN) written on your PT-10 Challan Form online and verify that you are up-to-date with all the relevant property taxes.
6. Cotton Fee Management Information System
The Cotton Fee Management Information System (MIS) is an online portal that can be used by members to get general information as well as historical data associated with the production of cotton in Punjab.
7. Income & Professional Tax Calculator
All professionals, as well as businesses and business owners, are liable to pay professional tax on their income. Use this tool to calculate your dues for any particular fiscal year. We’ve shared an example of the calculation in the screenshot above. The Profession drop-down list includes companies, factories, commercial establishments, employees, contractors, importers, exporters, and more.
8. Online Tax Calculator for Motor Vehicles
There are three types of motor taxes that can be calculated online via the Excise and Taxation Department, Punjab’s website. These include tax calculation for new registration, token tax calculator, and calculator to determine the transfer of ownership fee.
9. Tax Calculator for Entertainment Duty
Entertainment duties apply to a range of shows and events held in Punjab, with the four primary categories being exhibitions, plays or dramas, musical programmes, and fashion shows. Calculate your dues online before hosting each event to avoid any hassles later on.
10. Excise Duty Calculator
If you work with or sell liquors or spirits in your store or factory, you can calculate all the excise duties levied on such products online. This includes vending fees, still head duties, permit fees, and more.
How to Register a Complaint with the Department?
You can contact the Excise, Taxation, and Narcotics Control Department at their head office in Lahore by calling 0800-08786 to talk to a representative for assistance and complaints. The office is located on the 2nd floor of Transport House, opposite Faletti’s Hotel, on Egerton Road, Lahore. You can also drop an email at email@example.com with your queries to the department.
Now you know all about the Excise and Taxation Department, Punjab and the role it plays in tax collection. You can also conveniently use their tax calculators to file your dues for this year and call the official number of the Excise, Taxation, and Narcotics Control Department of Punjab for all your complaints and queries.
The Excise and Taxation Department, Islamabad, and the Excise, Taxation, and Narcotics Control Department, Sindh, also perform similar functions in their respective regions to ensure the collection of taxes and the facilitation of taxpayers in Pakistan.
*[Cover Image Logo Credits: Official Website of Excise, Taxation, and Narcotics Control Department, Punjab]