Construction of basement

I wanted to construct a basement of size (16x40). I wanted to know that should i construct using rcc walls or simple brick walls?

It should be 50% RCC and 50% bricks.

Like you have to use 6mm thick RCC wall and then covering with bricks 4/12" brick works.

Regards

It should be RCC wall of 9 Inches. I remember one person built basement having Brick walls. After a lot of rain in 2009 flood, his wall almost exploded due to pressure of soil. Bricks damaged windows and adjoining area. That person was himself contractor who used brick walls in his own home.

In rain water RCC also can be in prolbems so no worries as my advice as above...

Carry on to save extra cost having 9" thick RCC...Just 6" RCC and 4 1/2" brick wall is

tested and trusted in anyways.

Malik sb you have build a single house and faced at least all the problems which ever

mentioned in last 100 posts here....God bless you

Regards

I haven't said that I faced this problem. One of the person living near me had the problem.

Bricks walls cannot handle lateral load. I havent said that rain water will create problems. It is the soil pressure which creates problems and this is basic purpose of RCC walls.

What if very thick plastic sheets are attached or plated on outer walls ? will it solve the seeping water issue in heavy rains?

@ DK. RCC walls in basement are not for handling seepage issues. It is to handle soil pressure on the side of the wall. Iron bars in RCC keep the wall intact in case of side pressure and seismic movement.

It is compulsory for all zones in Pakistan as recommended by Earthquake regulation authorities. I do not exactly remember authority's name but all structural engineers have consensus.

I also thought the same that we should decrease its cost RCC is just extravagance. But when I saw that incident, I was really surprised. The wall literally exploded and broke most of the windows on back open area of 500 yard home.

Malik sb i love your open opinion which is very useful and increase the knowledge to other persons.

malik sb what will be actual cost approx per square feet construction of basement

Dear malik sb

cant we use the beams for construction the basements and for wall pcc layer poring between two layers of bricks up to ground level for decrease the cost of RCC

thanks

You can use Eco Blocks which will be stronger and sturdier than other materials. Check this out:

https://www.facebook.com/ecoenterprisesltd

Dear Sara,

Is eco Block handle the pressure of soil?

Thanks & Regards,

Zayad Mohsin