How does coronavirus infection spread?

There has been a lot of confusion about coronavirus infection and a lot of it has to do with how the virus is transmitted from human to human. Then there have also been confusions about whether the animals can get it and, if so, can they also transmit the SARS-CoV-2 virus back to the humans as well? I feel this forum is one of the few places where there is not enough talk on it, so I thought I might as well play my part.

How does COVID-19 transmit to humans?

The primary means of transfer for the SARS-CoV-2 virus is human to human contact, mainly:

• Close contact with the infected person – close contact is being defined as keeping a distance of 6 feet or less.
• Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes and the droplets come in contact with another person.

Can someone who is not sick spread coronavirus?

There have been some reports that asymptomatic people infected by coronavirus may still be able to infect others – this is another reason why social distancing in recommended – however, it is not the major reason for the spread of coronavirus. People are most contagious when they are showing symptoms of the illness (cough, fever, difficulty breathing).

Can we get coronavirus infection by touching contaminated surfaces?

Again, it is not the main way that SARS-CoV-2 is spreading but it might be possible for a person to get infected by touching a contaminated surface or object and then their mouth, nose or eyes. It is for this reason that regularly washing hands is strongly advised.

Can humans get coronavirus from cats?

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), so far, there is no evidence that humans can get coronavirus from cats or dogs in that matter. There have been reports of a weak coronavirus in dogs but they were not transmitting. WHO still recommends that we should wash our hands after touching pets.