New Rawat Airport Proposed By PM

Dear all. Pm nawaz sharif proposed a new airport in rawat. Will it put to shelf the development of existing new airport or it will be a new airport in addition to existing new airport. Please share your views.

Thanks Hawk2k for updating us. Sounds interesting, in fact its a big surprise.

Please share some more details about the site and proposed completion date etc

@Mbs welcome.I just read in the newpapers. It is a proposal by PM. The concrete date of Inauguration/completion including the site is not known. May be some one more authoritatiive has knowledge in this regard. Hee is the link for news

http://dawn.com/news/1037827/nawaz-for-giving-hong-kong-like-status-to-gwadar http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2013%5C08%5C24%5Cstory_24-8-2013_pg7_14

Sir, Construction of Margalla tunnel & New airport near Rawat shows that Pakistan z a Football

Well i don't think that will happen. Major investment has already been done on the existing new airport and it is about to be completed by mid 2014 or max 2015. While they will need to make feasibility on new project that will take a lot of time and investment and then it will be allocated massive amount from budget or some shiekhs may invest and that will take a long time. And considering the current economic crisis, nobody is going to take pm seriously now. He can simply complete existing project in time and inaugurate it himself for taking political gain,otherwise he will face resistance in assembly n media same as he did face resistance and humiliation for bullet train and khanjrab train from gwadar.

Well said MinhalEstate. PM must not have all this in mind when talking about Rawat Airport. And his advisors .............................................. God bless them :))

Inna Lillahe wa Inna Eeleyhe Ra’ajioon. Free Port/ Hongkong/Paris etc etc all these r favorite terms of Pakistani politicians. Although Nawaz Sharif is humble and sharif but stupid.Railway track from gawader to China. What a nonsense. Molk is destroying & Nero bansari baja raha tha

The new airport project was initiated in 2007 and was to be completed in 2011, but there are no signs of completion in the near future. According to CAA inner sources, the cost of Project is expected to exceed 100 Billion. The project is in a fix due to incompetence of Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). There is no one at CAA who have experience of handing mega projects. This is evident from the fact that decision-making process takes months, even years, resulting in escalation due to change in parity between Dollar and Rupee. Equipment are imported, payment to contractors are in Rupee at prevailing rate of parity. So, how one may expect budget to follow its anticipated course There were 17 different packages of the project given to as many as 15 contractors, causing a coordination nightmare.All the major facilities such as airstrip, landing site, fuel hydrants, boundary wall, air traffic controllers (ATC), taxi traces and water supply lines still has to be completed. Further, a passenger terminal worth Rs30 billion was still pending and without its completion, the airport could not start functioning.

Conclusion: The project is already got delayed, Its Budget get out of estimate due to increase in dollar rate and other factor and has some serious design Faults, So Government is going to with draw this project.

Moving Forward: New Airport is going to construct near Rawat , A Super Highway will be built between Islamabad and New Airport and land around this Super High way Will be Auctioned to Real Estate Tycoons to fetch funds for the New Airport near Rawat

I dont understand the rationale behind this idea of new airport near rawat. The new airport construction near motorway is more than 50% complete and there is an idea of a new airport. We are not a country with the wealth of oil who can afford 3 airports (existing, under construction and newly proposed) in a small city like isb/ pindi with little industry around. It doenst make any sense economically, an airport is an asset worth billions of rupees.

If there is some issue with management, that can be resolved easily if authorities are serious to deliver. Still, airport work is going on in full swing till date and terminal buildings can be seen from very far. They have completed everything for cargo flights already and thallian interchange will be used for cargo that is already done. This is about passenger side now, and they are working on it. PML-N is well reputed for MEGA projects which has always been their slogan. But this new airport idea near rawat is utter nonsense at this point in time.

@ManahilEstat: “But this new airport idea near rawat is utter nonsense at this point in time.”… I could not understand to whom the idea of the new airport is nonsense?

Zain Even faulty designed, now priority should be to punish culprits. From where the poor nation will bring money for this kind of Kingship. Margalla Tunnel is another Bakwaas

Dear IB I think the idea is nonsense to all sensible people. We are poor country, we can not waste tax payer's money like this. Even the richest of the countries in the world can not afford doing such stupid things. Our rulers should focus on more important things first, terrorism, Power crises, water disputes with India, Afghan situation etc etc.

Nothings gona change overnight. A policy statement only gives the guideline but does not categorically rules out the possible options. The exisitng airport might just as well be completed. In his statement, he did not say that the fateh jang airport will not be taken further.

The rawat airport proposal could be a long term plan in line with the establishment of industrial zones towards southern city.

I reckon we should keep our calm and not react to a general statement reflecting long term plans.

The billions of dollars concrete put in fatehjang airport would definitely serve some purpose.

My view is anything additional is useful. So lets hope the fateh jang airport gets completed and we look forward to rawat in a decade's time :)

Its taken so many years for this new airport to be built and still not completed. The new rawat airport probably be named after himself 'sharif saab airport or something'..lol. He just wants to add his final mark in Pakistan. Probably take another 50 years for it to be fully operational, so don't worry everyone. It will be a miracle to get the existing new airport up and running with constant set backs and delays!

Yes i agree with sh sb. Sir Pakistan z an open football ground i.e. Free for all

Lets see what happens anyway with the existing new airport on fateh jang road of whether there really will be a commercial hub. That’s why so many people invested there etc…if that area of Islamabad really takes off then mr sharif saab would correct to acquire land to start to build in rawat, however, until then I suggest mr sharif saab stops his ramblings!

Poor country like Pakistan cannot afford to waste money this way. There is a need to complete the existing project ASAP w/o wasting further funds. PM must be pressurized through following:-

1. Political parties must address and protest this idea of PM at parliament level.

2. Media must be asked to discuss the issue and govt must realize its fault.

3. Public opinion needs to be built by SMSs, Facebook, blogs etc.

4. Newspapers must be used to address PM for the issue.

5. Workshops, press conferences, estate dealers dealing land in that area need to unite and held public meetings for this agenda.

6. Politica leadership in Islamabad Asad Umer and PMLN elect MNA needs to be approached.

Things need to be planned and conducted in a coordinated manner to prevent national exchequer go waste. This is public money which is being wasted. PM has no right to take decisions which put this country into further misery.

I dont think there is any need for such an emotional reaction to these kinds of statements…Only Four months ago, a bullet train service was about to start between Peshawer and Karachi! Anyone talking about that now?? ANYONE!!!

Yes Sir, it shows “Seriousness”