Summertime is here and many people are planning to go on vacations with their children. If we talk about Karachiites, in particular, they usually plan a trip to Lahore from where they visit the northern areas of Pakistan. Whether you are going for a long trip or a short one, if you are a parent, you will have more luggage than most people. If you are planning your journey via train, there are no restrictions with regards to your luggage. However, if you’ve opted for air travel, you have to keep in mind the size restrictions and airline regulations. Packing for kids is never easy. You almost always end up taking more things than you require. To avoid over-packing and help you pack smarter and faster, we have developed a list of essential travel items for kids.
A comprehensive checklist of essential travel items for your carry-on bag
Parents usually have a lot of questions before embarking on long trips with children. The first and the most important one: what are the essential travel items for kids? But there are more, for instance, what should you pack in your carry-on bag? What kind of child gear should you carry while traveling? What should you keep in your child’s suitcase and backpack? If it’s a beach vacation with a toddler via road, how would you pack for the journey? We’ll attempt to answer all of these questions. First, check out our carry-on packing list for infants.
Carry-on packing list for infants
- First thing: diapers
- Changing pad
- Diaper rash cream
- Plastic bags small and large for soiled diapers and even soiled clothes (you never know!)
- Wet wipes
- Hand sanitizer
- Cap to protect baby’s head
- Extra set of clothing
- Extra bottles both for water and milk
- Formula milk powder – measure it and then keep it in a storage box
- Cotton buds to relieve ear pressure, when flying with a baby
- Baby’s favourite toys
If you have a toddler, you need a smaller list, but it is equally important. Check out our carry-on packing list for toddlers.
Carry-on packing list for toddler
- Colouring book
- Washable markers
- Small plastic bags for any kind of motion sickness
- Bite-size snacks
- Candies and lollipops which your toddler can suck to relieve pressure in the ear when the plane takes off
- Favourite toy
- His own blanket that will keep him calm and make him fall asleep
- An extra clothing
- Band aids
- Cotton buds to reduce ear pressure, when flying with a baby
- Story books
So, now that you have packed all essential travel items for kids in your tote bag, open your suitcase and have a quick look to check what’s important and what’s not.
Need help? Have a look at our checklist for essential travel items for kids in a suitcase.
Packing essentials for kids in a suitcase
When traveling with kids, be prepared for anything and everything. Kids are unpredictable. You need to take extra measures to deal with any emergency or mishap. Here is a small packing list when traveling with kids.
- Extra pair of socks
- Extra pair of shoes, slippers and sandals
- Waterproof jacket if you are going to a place where it can rain anytime
- Bath kit having baby shampoo, baby soap, bath toys and towels
- Keep your toddler’s toothbrush and toothpaste
- Nail clipper
- Small scissors
- Ointment for any cut or bruised skin
- Emergency light/torch
- Mosquito repellent
- Air spray (Much needed after you change your baby’s diaper)
- Light moisturizer
- Baby powder
- A set of pajamas and t-shirts
Apart from these travel items required for a safe travel by air or by train, there is a separate checklist for those parents who are going on a road trip.
Road trip essential travel items for kids
A road trip is fun – but if you are traveling with kids, you need to be prepared with a lot of precautionary measures to ensure a fun-filled, safe road trip.
Packing list for toddler road trip
Toddlers can be really problematic if they do not find their favourite toy or snack in the middle of your road trip. You need to make sure to have such backup supplies to have a smooth journey. Here is our checklist for essential items when traveling with toddlers:
- Car seat organizers: These organizers have pockets where you can keep water bottles, snacks and other important items
- Crayons and activity books
- Motion sickness bags
- Snacks and juices
- Keep an ice box
- Mosquito and bug repellent creams
- Hat for kids
- Neck pillows
- Ball, Frisbee or any other toy
Apart from keeping all these essential travel items for your kids, you should follow these simple packing tips for yourself.
Packing tips for yourself
- Start preparing a few days in advance before your planned trip. Keep a checklist of things that you need to buy
- Pack a T-shirt and pajamas for yourself in your carry bag – just in case
- Prevent any leaks by using resealable plastic bags to keep creams and toiletries
- Always keep your phone charger with you in your carry-on bag
- Extra money in hand
- Keep a travel bag as it will come in handy because it has several pockets
- Always fold down your clothes from the top (sort of like a roll) as it allows more space
We also have more travel packing hacks, in case you’re a solo traveler. Since money is an important part of any trip, make sure to follow these simple tips on how to hide cash while travelling to enjoy a stress free holiday.
For more interesting and information travel tips, stay tuned to the best lifestyle blog in Pakistan.