Bricks Calculation And Onward Development

Dear experts, I have recently acquired 5 Kanal agri land near Jallo Lahore which I want to cover. Could you please help me out in calculating the approx. Number Of bricks required, cement, labour and full amount to build 6 feet in height wall. What other options are feasible for boundary wall initially in order to safeguard the land? Your valuable comments are highly appreciated.

Hi Experts,

The size of the plot is 272 front x 96 back. Awaiting your expert opinion.

Bricks 45 numbers per sq ft (9"thick wall) you can divid by 2 if you need 4 1/2" thick

Cement 0.35 bag per sft

Sand 1.65 cft per sft

You mentioned front and back of your plot but did not mentioned sides if take as

272+272+96+96 = 736 x 6 ft =4,416 sq ft above dpc level and below dpc level you have to go 2 ft down which will be and it will be diff thicknesses like 18' then 15",13" and 9" as foundation of the wall.

As per above calculation your total bricks will be 4,416 x 45 =198,720 +-

These bricks will be above dpc level upto 6 ft hight and for 9" thick wall if you will go for 41/2" then it will be half i.e 99360. Approx +-

You can add below dpc level by asking your local contract what he can suggest below dpc level and in the same way you can calcualte and add in total.

In the same way you can calculate for cement and sand.

These are rough estimates and tolerance should be 5% +-....

Accorate is the only Almighty we can just do the efforts.

Regards

dSA

92-333-4220989

Thanks a lot DSA for such a detailed information. Really appreciate your effort. Could you please advise, if we can opt for any other reasonable material i.e. Precast boundary walls. Which option would be cost effective.

Now a days market is fast and you will find different rates hat will be confusion for you. We at AmerAdnan Associates would like to provide you exact information by contacting us. You send me your email and contact number through personal message or ask by mail at hamza.asif@ameradnan.com. It will be really helpful for you as we are trying to provide you best rates in market according to the type of material.

Tahir....

Precast is best but costly by normal brick boundary wall....

Its your choice to choose.

Regards

Thanks again DSA. I am putting my plan of using this land in a broader question. Since the land is located in residential area of Jallo, my thinking is to cover the boundary wall with bricks and mud straw mix for a period of two years and to use those bricks in future to build small town houses for residents. Is it good to build the boundary with mud straw to avoid any damage to bricks since its going to be a huge expense. Will it be fine to use the same bricks in a year or two for building small homes of 3 to 5 marla. All members are welcome to comment. Hamza, i will definitely drop you an email for onward developments. (only God knows what will happen in future).

@Tahir

You are always welcome dear. I am related to a construction and interior designing company AmerAdnan Associates, and love to help you out if you need any help regarding this. You can also see our work at http://www.facebook.com/AmerAdnanAssociates.

Hamza Asif you were told in your earlier post that you know Mr Amer Adnan and you got designed your house from him and he is very good and now you are saying you are related to them??

Who so?

Yes DSA,

If I am related to this business thats why I constructed my house from AmerAdnan Associates. I thinks its not bad that you get services from your own company. Right sir?

LOL…

Dear Tahir,

As per my calculations ur area is 272+272+96+96 = 736 x 6 ft =4,416 sq ft

bricks are not measured in sq feet but in cubic feet. 1 cu ft = 13.5 bricks so lets convert to cubic feet= 4416 sft X 0.75ft(thickness of wall)= 4416X.75= 3312 cft

we know

1cft= 13.5 No bricks

so,

3312X13.5= 44712 no of bricks required for your wall above above D.P.C

hope this work

Thanks

@IMK you are right but I don't know the standard dimension of bricks, Is it 9" X 4 1/2" X 3" if this is the size than no of bricks in 1 Cubic ft are 12 bricks. But I am really surprice to see Mr.DSA calculated 9" wall Ft 45 bricks per sq. Ft. Please DSA could you explain us how you calculated 45 Bricks in 1 sq ft. Is it a mistake or we are not properly understand?

If the brick size is 9" X 4 1/2" X 3" it means 121.5 cu inch in 1 cu ft = 1728 cu inches

i cu ft =1728/121.5/121.5 = 14.22 bricks in one cu ft. Without adding cement & sand.

Shahid bahi,

You are right that brick size is 9" X 4 1/2" X 3" and by calculations it gives 14.22 bricks in one cft but mortar also have some volume so after adding that, research shows and its standard and engineering books states that 1 cft of brick masonary needs 13.5 Bricks. Thanks

For 9 inch walls 9 bricks per square feet are consumed .

As per my understanding walls are measured in running square feet. Cubic feet measurement mean you are constructing 1 feet wide walls.

Mian Nadeem

Bro Muhammad,

For 9 inch walls 9 bricks per square feet are consumed . How you calculated 9 bricks in 1 sft?

Actually brick has 3 dimensions LxBxH so it will give us volume also there is mortar used witch is also calculated in volume and again as i stated above the engineering standard way of calculating brick massonary is by cft not in sft.

if you want to calculate by sft(not recommended) here is the procedure.

one brick size 9" X 3"= 27 sq.in

1 sft = 12"x 12" = 144 sq.in

No of bricks in 1sft = 144/27 = 5.333 NO.s

now lets calculate for above mentioned area = which is 272+272+96+96 = 736 x 6 ft =4,416 sq ft

Total no of bricks = 4416*5.333 = 23550 bricks

its for one layer of 4 1/2" thick wall and for 9' walls multiply by 2 = 23550 * 2 = 47100 bricks

these are more then (44712) which i calculated in CFT method because we didn't consider mortar thickness in this sft procedure,

so another check lets also not consider mortar thickness in cft method,

as stated above we say we have 3316 cft of brick masonry,

bricks in 1 cft without mortar consideration = 14.22 bricks

here we go,

total no of bricks = 3316 x 14.22 = 47066 bricks

just the difference of 4 bricks

hope its clear now!