Real Estate

Expert Authority
1052 posts
3 best
Junaid

Expert Authority
1018 posts
1 best
Become an expert on the forum, check Forum Ranks.
Building Contractors questions and answers. All your Building Contractors questions answered by our experts and thousands of other members. Get professional Building Contractors answers to your questions. Get started by asking a new Building Contractors question now.
Kamran
( 4 posts )

[21 Answers]
I have zero experience of construction. As I plan to construct my house on a 30x60 plot in E-16/3 Cabinet Society, I visited many under-construction and newly constructed houses built by contractors. Even as a layman I notice the poor quality of workmanship which makes me scared of hiring a contractor. I have two relatives who are top quality masons, and indeed very good persons by nature. They agree to construct my house, and I hope they will give a lot better quality at a much lower cost. My younger brother can supervise the house construction full-time. Is it a workable idea to hire the masons and labour without a contractor. Your early advice is requested as I want to start construction within the next 4 weeks.

Thanks

1645 days ago In Building Contractors
    Baber Rabban..
    (1628 posts)
    Best Answer
    Yes. Involving an architect would greatly help you. One can pay them on per visit basis.

Have water level sorted out and marked at each stage. At plinth level, than at door beam level and most importantly at roof shuttering level.

Also, as soon as Masons start building, ask an engineer to check if everything is according to map and all the rooms/bathroom have perfect dimensions and there is not even half an inch difference.

I bet you will be happy and enjoy your home if you take these steps which are often ignored.
      1645 days ago 

HT
      (1115 posts)
      All i can say is good luck.

Its like getting operated by nurses without the doctor...
        1645 days ago 

Baber Rabban..
        (1628 posts)
        I would have preferred the contractor on labor rates. Not with material. I would have avoided the relatives as matters become complex at the end.

Regarding quality, you should supervise to ensure quality with contractor. If you go for contractor in the end, better to hire one from same area where you are constructing the home.

If you still go with relatives, give them contract. Labour is so lazy nowadays that only a contractor can make them work.
          1645 days ago 

Ehsan
          (251 posts)
          Kamran, I would say go for it. Keep a check on whatever you provide them, money, meterial. I can tell you, you can save lots of money. Make a document before you start on main terms and conditions!
            1645 days ago 

Kamran
            (4 posts)
            Ehsan, thank you.

B.R. Malik Sb, I understand your points and in fact I did look into these aspects as well, and I do not foresee any problem of getting it done through my relative masons, I am confident that they will complete the house much earlier than any ordinary contractor. My area of of actual concern is the technical aspect, whether or not the masons can build the house with little involvement of a civil engineer. The engineer will be available to supervise at the time of laying foundation, and may also be available on any other critical stage.
              1645 days ago 

Annie
              (141 posts)
              Well I think,If working with masons u need experienced supervisor.
                1645 days ago 

Kamran
                (4 posts)
                Many thanks, B.R. Malik. May Allah reward you for this.

Annie, thanks for the advice. I am pretty sure that the masons will be doing it as if they are constructing their own home. The relationship is such that they will do everything with honesty and speedily. However, as B.R. Malik advised I will arrange for the visits of an Architect and a civil engineer on different occasions. I will purchase materials for them myself, and my brother who actually doesn't have any experience of construction will be there to monitor progress and help them with whatever they need. Do you still think that an experienced supervisor is required?
                  1644 days ago 

Kamran
                  (4 posts)
                  HT, after my explanations above, do you still feel that it will be a surgical procedure by a nurse without a doctor? Thanks.
                    1644 days ago 

DSA
                    (1411 posts)
                    You must need design and working drawings and then you may go as per your own

desire.

Regards

dSA

92-333-4220989

designsource99@gmail.com
                      1644 days ago 

Hamza Asif
                      (830 posts)
                      A proper sketch or map is very important to meet the requirement of a well managed home. You have to take services of construction company to make your house more beautiful nut you will really see benefit in near future of it. If you are interested in hiring a company then send us your contact details at hamza.asif@ameradnan.com or call on 042-36655262.

http://www.ameradnan.com
                        1644 days ago 

Post Answer (21 Answers)
                        1 2 3 >
                        Email Basket (0)
                        SEND EMAIL   REMOVE ALL