Construction By Contractor Or Self

I have zero experience of construction. As I plan to construct my house on a 30x60 plot in E-16/3 Cabinet Society, I visited many under-construction and newly constructed houses built by contractors. Even as a layman I notice the poor quality of workmanship which makes me scared of hiring a contractor. I have two relatives who are top quality masons, and indeed very good persons by nature. They agree to construct my house, and I hope they will give a lot better quality at a much lower cost. My younger brother can supervise the house construction full-time. Is it a workable idea to hire the masons and labour without a contractor. Your early advice is requested as I want to start construction within the next 4 weeks.

Thanks

All i can say is good luck.

Its like getting operated by nurses without the doctor...

I would have preferred the contractor on labor rates. Not with material. I would have avoided the relatives as matters become complex at the end.

Regarding quality, you should supervise to ensure quality with contractor. If you go for contractor in the end, better to hire one from same area where you are constructing the home.

If you still go with relatives, give them contract. Labour is so lazy nowadays that only a contractor can make them work.

Kamran, I would say go for it. Keep a check on whatever you provide them, money, meterial. I can tell you, you can save lots of money. Make a document before you start on main terms and conditions!

Ehsan, thank you.

B.R. Malik Sb, I understand your points and in fact I did look into these aspects as well, and I do not foresee any problem of getting it done through my relative masons, I am confident that they will complete the house much earlier than any ordinary contractor. My area of of actual concern is the technical aspect, whether or not the masons can build the house with little involvement of a civil engineer. The engineer will be available to supervise at the time of laying foundation, and may also be available on any other critical stage.

Yes. Involving an architect would greatly help you. One can pay them on per visit basis.

Have water level sorted out and marked at each stage. At plinth level, than at door beam level and most importantly at roof shuttering level.

Also, as soon as Masons start building, ask an engineer to check if everything is according to map and all the rooms/bathroom have perfect dimensions and there is not even half an inch difference.

I bet you will be happy and enjoy your home if you take these steps which are often ignored.

Well I think,If working with masons u need experienced supervisor.

Many thanks, B.R. Malik. May Allah reward you for this.

Annie, thanks for the advice. I am pretty sure that the masons will be doing it as if they are constructing their own home. The relationship is such that they will do everything with honesty and speedily. However, as B.R. Malik advised I will arrange for the visits of an Architect and a civil engineer on different occasions. I will purchase materials for them myself, and my brother who actually doesn't have any experience of construction will be there to monitor progress and help them with whatever they need. Do you still think that an experienced supervisor is required?

HT, after my explanations above, do you still feel that it will be a surgical procedure by a nurse without a doctor? Thanks.

You must need design and working drawings and then you may go as per your own

desire.

Regards

dSA

92-333-4220989

designsource99@gmail.com

A proper sketch or map is very important to meet the requirement of a well managed home. You have to take services of construction company to make your house more beautiful nut you will really see benefit in near future of it. If you are interested in hiring a company then send us your contact details at hamza.asif@ameradnan.com or call on 042-36655262.

http://www.ameradnan.com

Kamran,

First of all,i want to wish u good luck with ur project.

I'm also planning to do something similar but without involving any RELATIVES.

What i want to ask from experts here is tht instead of a professional contractor,what if along with personal presence,a trustworthy person,familiar with common know how of construction and materials,is oppointed for monitoring the workers and making sure tht right material is received/used and proper procedure is followed according to the drawings.What should be the reasonable charges for such responsibility?

Or hiring a professional contractor is still a better option?

Contractors on labor rates is still a better option. Construction has become too technical.

Best combination is to have labor contract for all cement work, your own presence and time to time visit of an architect.

Dear Curious..

Idea is good but all plust and minus will be yours if you hire that person.

But If you hire a contractor then only +ve will be yours and -ve will be of contractor.

Rest you can deciede weather you can take risk of huge money with NEEM HAKEEM.....

OR a proper professional because this is not just making a single wood box.

Regards

dSA

92-333-4220989

B.R Malik sahib,point is noted.

When you say cement work then,are you suggesting tht i shud take care of other details like plumbing and electrical fittings,flooring separately by hiring other professionals and just limit contractor for grey structure only?

DSA sahib,

Thank u for ur concern.

Do u think tht it's not possible or still too risky to supervise even with detailed cost estimate,detailed architectural and structural drawings?

My general observation abt hiring contractors is tht it's like gambling becoz despite all assurances,good references and written contract,mostly they still go for whatever is easy for them and all plus or minus it's on owners expense.Most of the contractors in market are not professionals bt " Neem Hakeem" so called "Mistri turned thekdars" after building few houses here n there.They have no relative credentials and find majority of them having trouble understanding even the basic drawing details by architects.

What wud you as a professional charge for just supervision and labour contract?

Contractor term is only for cement work of grey structure. Plumbing and electrical has their own mini contractors of lump sum rate. Plumbing contract is really a gamble because you know its problems after shifting. During my house construction, I tried my best to remain at good terms with plumber and electrician. Some houses in my street had problem of plumbing and electrical person ran away. They were in real problems. Construction is mostly about patience. Plumber and electrician should remains till end.

I think going with masons is fine if you are confident. Grey structure contractors waste a lot of material to conceal their own mistakes.

Lastly plaster should be very good. Real feel and look depends a lot upon good quality plaster and great quality flooring.

If you need our services for grey structure and all others then you are more than welcome. We have many designs and material qualities that we can offer you for construction. You may contact on above mentioned number and email.

http://www.ameradnan.com/work

Its funny to spend millions to construct mason or home but saving few lacs to hire a proper professional architect. Too much risk factor involved i would never do that.

i bought plot in gulberg residencia islamabad and gonna construct in few months but i will make sure there is a proper architect to look after all construction processes. Good luck kamran bro. :)

Annie and Asif i know you. You are both from an architect firm ;)

dont hide yourselves :D guide us all without charging lolzzzz ( if you can )

Asif bro,

pls reduce your prices so you will get a lot of business.

most architects charged 3 to 5 lacs to design 1-kanal homes including their visits you guys charged 2millions which is not fair :)

anyway. This is your decision for your business am not gonna interfare at all i was just pointing your high prices. Good Luck for all your successes

Thanks for wishes Mr.Fitz

We are on fixed prices for several years and don`t want to fluctuate at any change on prices of material. We tried our best to charge the minimum prices and after seeing our work, one can easily understand the rates.

http://www.ameradnan.com