Construction of basement in islamabad

What are the common mistakes people do while making basement? How to fix the common issues of basement like seepage, bad smell and poor ventilation issues? Please do share your experience and advice/tips regarding construction of basement.
Thanks all in advance.
Regards.

The biggest problems with basements is water leakage which often happens around the basement floor. You may blame the contractor for mistakes in the construction process, but the fact is even a well-constructed basement foundation can have a water problem.

The reason is in how a basement foundation is made. A number of my friends got the best thaikaydaar to construct for them basements in new constructions in Islamabad. You need to understand that the soil that’s backfilled against the walls of a basement foundation is always looser and more permeable than the virgin soil that wasn’t disturbed by the excavation activity. And this higher permeability means that water will naturally collect against the foundation wall. An exterior foundation drain should provide an escape route for this groundwater, but these drains can get clogged so there should be a mechanism for unclogging these drain pipes. Also the drain line can get crushed during backfilling work. Often even a properly installed exterior drain line will cease to function when it becomes clogged with roots and silt. With no escape route, hydrostatic pressure builds up against the foundation.

Water under pressure naturally seeks any crack, gap or hole, following the path of least resistance. In a basement, this leakage area is usually by the crack between the basement’s slab floor and the foundation wall. The crack exists because the concrete floor is poured in a separate process, after the basement walls are built. Contractors deliberately create a gap between floor and wall to act as a control joint that can prevent cracks from forming in the center of the floor.

You can solve some of the problem by installing a concealed drain line along the edges of your basement floor, your thaikaydaar and material supplier can work together to provide you with a waterproofing system that relieves hydrostatic pressure instead of forcing it to increase.

These drain lines will convey collected water to a sump pump that will automatically pump the water outside. You should make sure that this system is designed properly to capture water that seeps through basement walls as well as water that comes up along the floor.

Only the narrow top edge of the drainage system will be visible in the finished installation. Because this interior drainage system is installed on top of the footing and inside basement walls, it can’t clog with silt or plant roots. It will inshaAllah work effectively.

Abdul Qayyum, Saadi Aquarius, DSA. Is there anyone to guide on the topic. Thanks.

Sir first of all,while going for the basement,must opt for the best of the best architect since it is one of the most crucial steps of the building.Since i have not constructed the basement so i cannot explain the intricacies but the common flaws which i have observed are the ventilation of light and air issues,seepage issues due to improper sewerage and other associated mechanical and electrical equipment flaws,poorly planned accommodation etc,so for all these problems,you need a seasoned architect.Avoid listening to those people who just say that hiring architect is an overspending and go for an ordinary designer.Believe me,if you select the right person,it will pay you in the end and each of your penny spent would be worth it.

It should be proper designed by the Structure Engineer and act as per their design to avoid such problems. Also your Architect should be competent to design with proper ventilation and light

in the basement.

Waterproofing should must be done as per standards and all wall and if possible floor should be in concrete.

Regards

Team dSA

Thanks all for your feedback.

Team DSA, could you please write some informative few lines/ construction tricks/article on above topic for the benefit of me and many others like me.

I have made basement in my house at DHA-2.

First of all you need to ask yourself, Do you really need a basement? If you answer is no, then dont think of spending so much on it.

My personal experience, I have a small family and we very rarely go to basement (infact only for laundry). I spent like 70 lakhs on basement back in 2012-2013. Was it worth spending that much money? For me answer is NO and it was a mistake.

Most important thing that you should remember, that septic tank in basement should have a light well and it should be exposed to outside air. Never make septic tank inside basement (Enclosed within basement).

Male proper ventilation by making lightwells, raise your Ground level by 3-4 feet, so you can have windows in basement from all sides.

Try not to have an open basement, as it will be a big headache specially in case of rains (in case your pump stops working, you will end up flooding your basement and it has happened in many houses in DHA-2.

Although I dont use my basement, but my basement is extremely well planned with no issues of ventilation and lights. I dont need to turn on light during day time in basement.

Thanks Sheikh Sahb for your valuable suggestion.

For me, basement is a must do thing.

I'll consider your suggestion In Shaa Allah.

Could you please tell me in detail what are the steps you made to protect it from seepage? for example you made a concrete wall and concrete floor with polythene sheets/HDPE Sheet? If you made any chemical treatment or other measurement please do share with me please.

App loogon koo agha kiya jaatta hay kay aik fardiya jiss ka naam saadi tha ore abb change kerkay Falcon ho gaya hay. Ya her forum pay apnee ustadee jharta rahta hay. Ise ko putta kuch bhee nahee hain isee ka muswara say buchain ya apnee mufad ka picha app koo duboo daay ga. Ya girgit kee terha naam change kerta hay ore asul naam choopata hay isee say pucha jaya kewwon?

Sir to protect basement from seepage please consider the following.

1: construct outer walls of RCC (Reinforced cement concrete )

2: do plaster on the outer and inner side of that RCC wall

3: do number zero chips on the outer side of the RCC wall

4: apply layer of hot bitumen on top of chips

5: apply plastic sheet for added protection

6: good quality plumbing material and experienced plumber should be hired ( pay special attention to the dia and level of sewerage pipes)

7: septic tank and rain water tank should separate (both should be made of RCC)

8: good quality sludge pumps should be used ( don't forget to have a back up sludge pumps as well )

Consider these steps and you should be ok

If you have any other question please feel free to contact us on

Www.estradaconstructions.com

0336-5915589

Dear ECS, thanks for your step wise explanation. I really appreciate your valuable comment. May Allah bless you with health, wealth and peace.

Could you please tell me about the ground of basement? Should we use any chemical treatment for seepage? Same plastic sheets should be used for basement ground or not? any special tiles? Or just the concrete and tiles above it?

Sir what type of foundation you are going for ? In which area your plot is located

I am planning to go for Concrete foundation. And plot is located in G-13 Islamabad.

Could you please tell me about the ground of basement? Should we use any chemical treatment for seepage? Same plastic sheets should be used for basement ground or not? any special tiles? Or just the concrete and tiles above it?

I don't understand why my posts are being held for review and when zameen.com team will post my comments.

I am planning to go for concrete foundation. Plot is located in G-13 Islamabad.

@ Mr Paki-1

sir you seem to be knowing a lot about basements,

very good info

how do you know all this, are you a builder or civil engr?

Http://www.basementsystems.com/basement-waterproofing/basement-learning-center/basic-construction.html

this is the link from whr one fellow member posted info

As a matter of courtesy original poster reference should be mentioned in some way

@Mr Sheikh,

Sir you said try to avoid open basements,

Don't you think open basements mitigate the moisture issue as there is no soil touching the outer walls of basement, it also takes out issues of ventilation and sunlight

but yes drain pumps failure can lead to flooding and open basements also take out the footpaths on ground floor, although one can install the steel footpaths, their foundations rising from the basement ground level

@Suleiman

I used both plastic sheets in concrete walls of basement + i also used a water soaking chemical (1 kg bag / cement bag).

So far results are excellent and not a single seepage event for last 4-5 years Alhamdulillah.

@YC,

Open basement is always better as far as ventilation/light is concerned, but headache to manage. Mine is not an open base but i made a huge light well (20 ft x 5 ft), covered by terrace of first floor on top, facing road side (corner plot). So i have enough light and ventilation in my basement. So only drain i have to worry about is the septic tank filled from 2 wash rooms & a kitchen, i don't need to worry about rain water.

From proper design n construction you will not face these issues like seepage, ventilation, bad smell etc.

You need to hire professional from design to construction.

Thanks sheikh sahb for sharing your experience. I’ll consider all your suggestions while making my own basement In Shaa Allah.