Tile Or Marble??

Tile is good for rooms lounge or marble help me in this subject and also give me rate.

Consider tile for bathroom only…marble is far superior and durable for lounge and rooms…

Tile is much better than average marble available in our country. Marble loses its shine while tile never loses its shine.

Marble actually does chemical reaction with many household things like vinegar or engine oil etc. But on the other hand, a mark on marble can be removed by re-polishing it but tile needs to be changed.

Tile is expensive. It requires care. Its fixing is costly as compared to marble. But best thing about tile is that it never loses its shine.

A good quality chinese tile in 2X2 size can be bought for Rs 1150-1300 per meter from murree road Rawalpindi. Per feet cost will be around Rs 120-130 per sq ft.

BUT what about strength and durability sir?

In 120 ~130 Rs per ft you can get good quality parleno…

@Dk. If tiles are taken good care of, than tiles more durable and strong. But unfortunately its quite difficult in Pakistan's environment. Marble loses its shine after few months.

@Million $$ . Perlino is no doubt very good marble. But 2x2 size perlino would be if double cost probably.

Everyone has own preferences. But whole concept of tiles is to make such a product for flooring which are devoid of negative aspects of natural stones.

The main problem with marble in our country is that when dust is on marble and we walk on it, the dust particles damages marble's polish. This is the precise reason of marble losing its shine after few months. Porcelain tiles has much higher abrasion resistance.

At some places like Marriot Hotel, one can see such a good shining marble after years and years if use. But they remove the dust continuously and maintain it. They also polish it frequently.

Some tiles come in marble design to give marble look and feel but never loses uts shine.

Agreed with above, I have used both extensively. I do a high quality work, hence have come to conclusion that marble is only good for outdoors. For in doors, I only use good quality tiles ranging from 1500-1800 sq/mtr. I have been a big fan of marble but the main problem is the consistency in the quality. You will always get few pcs which wont be of same quality. Marble is natural so suppliers don't take much responsibility. Good quality parleno in size 18"X18" should cost you around 300+ sq /mtr with one inch minimum thickness. I am talking about supreme quality,

after installation no doubt marble looks more beautiful than tiles, but over a period of time, sometimes even months, marble might start showing strange lines and colors, while tiles' fillings catch dirt and look not very nice with the usage. Another disadvantage of tiles is, if one day you need to replace couple of tiles for any reason (if you drop very heavy weight on the center of tile, it might break)you might not find the same tile. With marble this wont happen. Marble floors also need regular polishing.

So both have pros and cons, if the quality of marble is guaranteed then go for it , nothing beats it, but cost would be very high. While tiles come in so many colors that they have their own beauty.

Marble.

If I am not wrong, I think tile breaks from the center if unequal bond quantity ids applied underneath. It causes tile to crack. Otherwise porcelain tiles are extremely hard to break. Average tile has 1300 to 1400 Newton breaking strength.

If normal tile is placed on two bricks at opposite extremities, and pressure is appliedon center, still it has breaking strength of 800 Newton. Porcelain tike is much harder than marble.

These specs are of ordinary chinese porcelain tiles. RAK tiles and branded tiles has breaking strength of 2300 Newton.

Sir agar 6 saal baad tile toot jai aur uss type ya color ki tile na milay? Phir waisi ki waisi tile kahan sey aye gi? Ya phir saari tiles dobara nai lagani parein gi>???

In 6 years, even marbles of same colour anf veriety is not available because particular variety marble mountains are exhausted.

But, one should always keep one or two tiles in store for such problems.

Further, its better not to use new designs and use standard tiles like ivory colour or white color. I am sure standard white, ivory, offwhite and black colours are always available. For unique designs, one should keep spare tiles.

B.R. Malik and YC, many thanks for the valuable information.