Real Estate

Expert Authority
1052 posts
3 best
Junaid

Expert Authority
1018 posts
1 best
Become an expert on the forum, check Forum Ranks.
Forum Suggestions questions and answers. All your Forum Suggestions questions answered by our experts and thousands of other members. Get professional Forum Suggestions answers to your questions. Get started by asking a new Forum Suggestions question now.
Dk
( 814 posts )

[14 Answers]
In this summer heat,when electricity is is off for 12 hrs ,and the sun heat boils the tanks waters on roof along with the roof itself, hot to the unbelievable level , and transmitting that heat down inside the rooms, where one cannot sleep or even sit,
My queries are 1= how can we insulate the roof ,so that its cool?
2= can we place some sheets at 3-4 feet height on roof or place some green house type mechanism,
3=or place some light weight plants check at some height suspension on roof ,
4= the idea of cool tiles or white cement will increase the weight on already heavy roof?
So what to do?
5=another mechanism can be thin [very low weight ]steel sheets suspended above roof to not allowing heat transmission down the roof?
Its a great puzzle. So please have your say and solution

1779 days ago In Forum Suggestions
    Baber Rabban..
    (1628 posts)
    Best Answer
    I have some answers to it. But will post in parts. I just made my home and spent a lot on insulation. I did Jumbolon 2 inch foam. Than placing 3 inch concrete over it to protect and make its life long. I did everything by book.

Allhamdolillah heat transmission from lenter in absolutely zero. No exaggeration. Most welcome to cone and check it. I also did water tank insulation. It was not expensive. Just prior planning was needed. Unfortunately I couldn't find any solution to pipe insulation from water tank. All solutions were not long lasting. So hot water comes at start like normal homes, but than cold water starts.

Spent 4-5 lakh on total solution of insulation. At that time everyone said I am mad. But now its first season and proving its worth.

Now I will post some solutions to already built homes in next post.

By the way I also did proper double glazed windows towards sun side. But not much help honestly. Seem to be waste or extravagant spending of money. Only chicks can stop heat. Even curtains cannot stop heat as much as chicks do. Heat should be stopped at source. In heavy curtains, sun still enters our room and heat creeps in slowly. Heat from windowd should always br stopped from outside.

Continued.....
      1779 days ago 

Khan Sahib
      (418 posts)
      Very important questions, answers of which will be very useful for all of us. Experts please do give your detailed views. Thanks.
        1779 days ago 

Baber Rabban..
        (1628 posts)
        Now for built up homes.

UN-Habitat did research on insulation options and it's results. You can find on net. I read it many times. Discussed with a few experts.

Roof tiles is absolutely bad option. Just makes difference on 2-3 degree.

In my view, and its my own idea, that it would be great to build iron frame on roof. Have fiber on it. This way one can have more space in house.

Fiber reduces a lot of heat from entering the RCC slab. But it should be full roof because one part of exposed roof can make problem.

Whole concept hinges on the fact that Roof has iron bars in it. If one part heats up, it quickly transmits heat to other part of roof which is cold.

Even having green cloth on roof can make difference. But not much. Than, green cloth can tear/blow away in strong windstorms. All investment is wasted.

Having white paint type thing available in market named as roofflex etc on roof gives immediate relief. But it lasts for 2-3 months only. Further it becomes brittle and broken layer of that material goes into rain water drainage and chokes it.

Since stopping direct sun attacking roof can make some difference than why not have one time investment and make iron frame from lohaar and putting fibre on it. Fibre rolls are available in market like G-8 and city saddar road. One can enjoy rainy weather under it. No legal hiccup in almost having another storey.

In next post, would let you know a few options to reduce heat from interior of the house.
          1779 days ago 

Mansoor
          (59 posts)
          Nice information
            1779 days ago 

Nasir
            (2512 posts)
            Helpful Post.

What is the solution for houses which are already built.
              1779 days ago 

Zafar Ullah
              (484 posts)
              I think there is some misconception here about double glazing. Double glazing works very well if done properly. You have to insulate the whole house and not just the windows facing the sun.
                1779 days ago 

Baber Rabban..
                (1628 posts)
                For built-up homes, if they can do such tedious thing, than remove the existing marble/tiles and mud from lenter, make it bare, put the jumbolon or Master EPS foam. Again some concrete on top of it and than fix marble or tiles on it. But all process is extremely difficult.

I think good option is to give shade to whole roof. Either fibre or green net cloth.

Insulated roof tiles are not very effective. Some companies sell tiles, enveloped with thermopore etc, but all these are not effective though these companies market it a lot.
                  1779 days ago 

Baber Rabban..
                  (1628 posts)
                  Now if someone living in flat or some rented place where he/she can not invest on whole roof, he/she should try to insulate one room at least from inside.

Easy solution is ceiling. It also has limited efficacy but still cost effective.

Another good solution seems to be from an organization named Ghonsla. It was basically an NGO initially. They has project in Gilgit etc. They mix some local material like dry grass or hay. They do ceiling from inside. Interior wise they have good option for aesthetic purpose. The material is insulated and they probably seal it after installation.

I think this option would be good in the sense that it reduces a lot of heat. One room should atleast be insulated where kids has comfort at time of loadshedding when we cannot switch on AC.

Ghonsla can be searched on Internet.
                    1779 days ago 

Sohail
                    (120 posts)
                    Or you could use a room cooler. Its expenditure is almost equal to a normal ceiling fan. Its energy consumption will allow it to be used on a generator.

And you will see that you will have to turn it off in the last part of night because it would be very cold. :)

@ B.R Malik very nice info. Please tell about the rate of jumbolon.
                      1779 days ago 

Khan Sahib
                      (418 posts)
                      B.R Malik Sahib, very useful information indeed. Thanks a lot.
                        1779 days ago 

Post Answer (14 Answers)
                        1 2 >
                        Email Basket (0)
                        SEND EMAIL   REMOVE ALL