Private Funding For Margalla Avenue?

Forgive me for being ignorant, but I wanted to ask a simple question. There is a lot of talk about Margalla Avenue and apparently a lot depends on this road not only for B-17 but also few other sectors in zone 2. It’s also clear that the main issue is lack of funding for the project, hence its delayed. My query is, that if thousands of plot owners are hoping for this project, why not this could be self funded by the plot owners? If for example ( just an example) every plot owner contributes Rs. 50,000-100,000 for the project, will it not be a very wise investment? Their property prices will jump like anything and those who want to build and live here will also benefit due to shortened distance to Islamabad. Besides this money could be reimbursed by charging a very nominal tool charge from the vehicles using the road maybe for 2 years or so? Even if it’s not reimbursed it still sounds like a very good investment to me. What are your thoughts?

I have similar views, but don't know how this can be practically implemented. Could be a very good idea.

Regards

Interesting idea! i’ll get the views of some property experts about it and see how workable it is.

Hello Mr. Zafar Ullah,

How can it be practical, if the administration of society would not take any step. And secondly, not every investor will be willing to pay an extra amount. But yes, the administration can do something about that. They can show some material development, to entice investors to put more money in the society as development charges. regards, z@in N@deem

This can be a dream, can never be implemented. This is Pakistan, plus if you think CDA or State does not have money, you don't know anything. Actually, we as layman are not able to understand these games and delayed tactics, which benefits Big Guns rather than single plots owners, who just have 7 marla plot in B-17 as his saving. Plus, this is not the rule of the game, i mean their is no such law, so it is impossible. Anyways, work restarted on Margalla Avenue and will be completed soon IA. Regards,

Dear Nasir,

Have you visited Margalla Avenue to see the work restarted or someone has informed you?

Regards

AOA Thanks for the response. If they have restarted work on Margalla then this discussion is irrelevant anyway, if not , then I think this is thinking out ofthe box and a doable thing. Its never a good idea to give up plans at the start by quoting possible hurdles , as there will always be hurdles. The housing society itself is placed in the best position to take the initiative and I am sure people will respond positively. The society will further agin popularity and their future projects will also attract good investment due to show of this commitment. The problems quoted regarding CDA etc , I think are more relevant if you want to start something out of the blue and get it approved, this road is planned, approved , some work done and is clearly needed due to traffic issues from KPK. I hope Multi responds to this question and give their views. Allah Hafiz

The idea does have a practical and parallel example in the case of Sangjani Interchange, for which the AWT Society charged its members a one time cost of upto Rs 25,000. However, in this case, the contract and construction is entirely being managed by AWT, and only necessary approvals are being taken from NHA.

In case of Margalla Avenue, the contract will have to be managed by CDA. Can anyone guarantee that the money that CDA receives from private sources will be used for the correct purpose? That it will not be squandered away on one pretext or the other? Bureaucracy is a terrible curse of this country, they make the rules, interpret them and then re-interpret them, however it suits there needs. And CDA is one of the worst examples nowadays. Seems like a difficult proposition.

IF someone decided to atke on this project and that is a vry big IF, then of course the money wont just be handed over to CDA’s pot, to be used anywhere, this will be only for this project. As you might have guessed I am not an expert but I think a legal string couold easily be attached so that the money is only for a specific project and for that project alone. I think the main problem is if someone wants to take this on and there will be a solution for the problems as they come along. Its only a very short stretch of a road and I ams ure that majortity of plot owners will be happy to put a liitle bit more as the returns are great. Just at the news of start of road works they will gain much more than their investment.

Problem is land not funding CDA unable to acquire the land yet.