Non Construction Penalty (Residential Plot) In Bahria Town Islamabad

Assalam u Alaikum brothers,

Any rough idea about non-construction penalty in Bahria Town... Do they give you a certain time frame to complete construction after possession is handed over?

Depends which phase/block your plot is, if it is ready possession, they have some maintenance charges per month.

For example, i had a plot in Umer block ready possession, but when i sold it after 1 year, i had to pay 1000 per month as maintenance charges...

@Nasir sb: All the residents of Bahria (plot owners/home owners) will have to pay maintenance charges which is not a penalty. My Question is that if you have a possession plot and you do not build a house on it and keep it like that for many years… Does Bahria charges you any fine/penalty in order to encourage you to not keep it empty and build your house quickly?.

There is no such penalty on non construction.....

Many investors buy for investment so they never had to pay anything in this way.

Regards

Thanks DSA.

Did some research and its contrary to what DSA said.

[[[You have 3 years to construct from the ORIGINAL possession date]]]

Example: Original Owner Mr. A. And Original possession of plot xyz, Jan 1, 2010. Now Mr. B buys that plot from Mr. A and take possession on Jan 1, 2012.....

Mr. B has till Jan 1, 2013 (one year) to build the house and if he does not then he will have to pay Rs.20,000 per month as non-construction penalty.

Can senior members and experts shed some light on this?.

Even if you have possession and you have not started construction on the plot, you still have to pay maintenance charges, yes if you build a boundery wall, then, you don’t have to pay the maintenance charges.

There is penalty which is not that much but you need to call their customer number to get the exact amount.

Some of my relatives r paying it.

Possession ready plots:

1)If you don't take possession: 1000/month

2)If you take possession - after 3 years grace period: 3000/month

But under #2, after 3 years grace period ... Some people are getting letters to pay 1,50,000/year as NON UTILIZATION CHARGES / NON CONSTRUCTION PENALTY which is a huge amount and this is what i wanted to know about from forum members.

Dear members,

I have received a letter for my plot in Phase3, from BT as a reminder to pay non-utilization charges which will be 2500/month w.e.f July 2012 or from date of purchase.

Moreover, I have some queries.

1. Will BT management waive off these charges if I apply for possession and map?

2. Possession fee and Map is valid for how much time? Can I apply possession and map this year and start construction later, next year? Somebody told me that possession and map are valid for one year only.

3. Is there any possibility of waiving of these charges if a boundary wall would be constructed or not?

Please share if someone has updated information.

Regards

@MUHAMMAD: What you are saying is really confusing so it will be hard for seniors members to help you.

Lets clarify things... 1- When was this plot, originally possession ready, the very first time after being developed? 2- When did you buy this plot? 3- You did not take possession at the time you bought it, correct?

...Normally speaking, if you do not take possession, you do not pay non-utilization charges, instead you pay Maintenance Charges

That is the reason why a lot of investors prefer not to take possession in order to avoid non-utilization charges.

@Gohar: Actually, the owner of this plot took possession earlier and I didn't know about it at that time.

I bought this plot in 2011. I think first owner took possession in 2008 and grace period was expired after 3 years.

So if possession is taken, and home is not constructed within 3 years time period , does this means possession is to be availed again for the same plot ,and with the same original possession fee for second time?

means one has to pay twice or thrice for possession?

Hopefully senior members will be able to shed some light on this topic.

....What I understand is that the Original/First Owner took possession in 2008 and he was suppose to complete his home construction in 3 years (This 3 years is called a grace period because Bahria cannot charge you any fees/charges/penalty during this time frame)...

...Now Muhammad bought this plot in 2011 and since the grace period is done now, he received a letter from Bahria to start paying non-utilization period.

.... If Muhammad had bought the plot from a person who didn't had originally taken the possession, Muhammad would only be paying maintenance charges (not non utilization charges) which is 500 or 1000/month.

@Dk: I don't think that possession has to be availed again after 3 years. I think once possession is given then that's it. What happens after 3 years post-possession is that you have to start paying non-utilization charges..

....Possession is good because it gives you the Best security and peace of mind but its bad if you don't complete home construction in 3 years.

@Gohar, Thanks a alot for your detail reply but I have some queries:

1. In the letter that I received for my plot, its clearly mentioned that I have to pay Rs 2500/month as Non-utilization charges. But on this forum, I read that these charges are like 15000/month, 150000/annum etc....

2. If I build a boundary wall then do I have to pay non-utilization charges or not?

Thanks

...That is what i am confused about because one of my friend's friend had received a letter asking for 1,50,000/- per year as Non Utilization Charges which is a HUGE PENALTY but your amount is way smaller .... It would be nice if you could either share that letter OR copy/paste the exact text from that letter.

...What I know is that you have to COMPLETE THE CONSTRUCTION NOT START THE CONSTRUCTION... Technically speaking a simple boundary wall means YOU have not completed the construction.

Bahria started charging Rs.150000 per year as non-utilization charges back in 2011.But they then discontinued that practice.

Then until December 2013 the maintenance charges for Phase 1 to 6 were 500 per month and for every phase there was a specific date and year from which those charges were levied.

If you apply for possession and take possession by paying Utility Connection Charges, then they give a period of three years during which they do not charge any maintenance/non-utilization charges.But if you fail to construct home then they levy the charges after passage of three years.

If you take possession letter but do not start construction within 1 year then the possession has to be re-validated from Bahria again once you want to start construction.It's re-validated without any charges or you may have to pay the difference in the Utility Connection Charges if they have increased that(Don't know exactly).

If you apply for possession and do not collect the possession letter until six months.You have to re-apply for possession.

Once you apply for Map.The charges you pay are valid for one year.If you get map from them within a year it's fine, if not, then you have to pay the difference of charges after a year if they have increased the Map charges.

@hassan

and how much are map charges ,without possession charges?

[[[You have 3 years to construct from the ORIGINAL possession date]]]

Example: Original Owner Mr. A. And Original possession of plot xyz, Jan 1, 2010. Now Mr. B buys that plot from Mr. A and take possession on Jan 1, 2012.....

Mr. B has till Jan 1, 2013 (one year) to build the house and if he does not then he will have to pay Rs.20,000 per month as non-construction penalty.

Can senior members and experts shed some light on this?