Irfan

Expert Authority
1112 posts
8 best
Real Estate

Expert Authority
1052 posts
3 best
Become an expert on the forum, check Forum Ranks.
Architects discussions and advice. Participate in ongoing dicussions and get invaluable Architects advice from people who are experts in their industries or start a new Architects discussion.
Kashif
( 23 posts )

[23 Replies]
Which is the better option block or brick construction?

As per google R&D biggest advantage of block construction is temperature & seepage control, but which is more reliable in terms of safety, security, life of construction, earth quakes, quality of construction etc.

2282 days ago In Architects
    Post Answer
    Real Estate ..
    (1046 posts)
    Hi,

In my opinion, block construction would be a better option. It is seldom seen these days, so its a unique thing.

Regards,
    Z@in n@deem
      2281 days ago 

Fahad
      (243 posts)
      Actually now a days in northern areas and above islamabad if you got strong navigation is they are using specifically blocks for construction because they are comparatively cheaper and you can use insulation in between them, if not even they protect you better from harsh weathers.

Depending on details like quality, application, etc

In my opinion blocks are better than bricks.
        2281 days ago 

S.Arshad
        (229 posts)
        Brick wall construction are one of the most time & labour consuming itmes.
        One brick block is almost equals to 4 bricks in size and hence brick is cosuming more labour and material.
        Finshing of brick is also time consuming vs. Block is already finished & cured.
        Add rebars in block construction for earth quake safety at every corners horizontally at least two layers in full wall height.
          2281 days ago 

Kashif
          (23 posts)
          I had a discussion with different constructors on-site and they discourage block construction due to following reasons, is this true?

Its not good for construction, where load is more on walls than frames?
          E.G. For plaza's frame structure is built first and then walls but for homes, frames(beams & columns are dependent upon walls)

2) there is hardly any good variety available, so most of the blocks are not good in terms of quality

3) houses built on blocks get cracked with time

4) there are no/hardly any good mistri's available who do construction on blocks

5) they is no sound proofing between rooms when block is used between them as sound easily pass from one room to other, so privacy challenge

5) when plumbing or electricity work start and its time for breaking the walls for setting the paths for pipes, blocks suffered badly and difficult to maintain

Only good advantages i have heard is rapid construction & temperature control
            2281 days ago 

PAKISTANI-1
            (3019 posts)
            I have seen some construction sites where they use the column method but instead of using blocks in between the columns, they use bricks. What is the technical benefit or disadvantage of this?
              2280 days ago 

Kashif
              (23 posts)
              As per my info, they follow column structure to give more strength to their structure, but they follow bricks as per day to day practice and easy construction
                2280 days ago 

S.Arshad
                (229 posts)
                Columns and beam are framed structure.Where slab & walls transfer load to beams and beams to columns.So at the end all load bear on foundation.In this case brick, blocks or other material used for wall are not taking structural load except own weight and these are non-load bearing walls.
                  2280 days ago 

Fahad
                  (243 posts)
                  May be it is difficult to use blocks ...
                  How can we say that the walls are non load bearing? Every thing is placed on the walls :)
                  Beam still rests on walls
                    2279 days ago 

Kashif
                    (23 posts)
                    Yes i agree to fahad and same is my opinion, can any architect better guide about this?
                      2279 days ago 

S.Arshad
                      (229 posts)
                      Beam can rest on walls or columns.If there is no columns under beams then beam rest on walls .
                        2278 days ago 

Post Answer (23 Replies)
                        1 2 3 >

Username:
                        Password:
                        Email Basket (0)
                        SEND EMAIL   REMOVE ALL