Does the government know the difference between tax collection and public harassment?

Our government really needs to learn the difference between tax collection and public harassment.

We get it. Government needs taxes and economy is bad.

However, the tax collection measures are now bordering on harassment. Both provincial and federal tax bodies are getting desperate and pressurizing the masses. The government needs to come up with better collection means than resorting to pressure tactics. Just the other day, I saw another forum member complaining about this too.

Then today I came across this news stating that Punjab government has ‘graciously’ decided to ‘waive off’ the property taxes sent to the 24 rural UCs (recently merged into RMC’s jurisdiction). I mean these rural UCs weren’t even supposed to pay taxes. The government changed their status and asked them to pay taxes for the last ten years?? Of course people were unhappy about it and now the government are trying to play the generous heroes.

Dear yes this is the agony , whatever you call it but this is public harassments or mental torture.

Its everyone who wants to give the tax however the way these public servants are operating i can tell you for sure that they are not doing good with the government popularity.

Can you please let me know which UC's they are talking about ?

but seriously this should not be happening.

Kind regards,

Abbasi sab, if I remember correctly, you were complaining about something similar in Bahria Phase 8? What exactly was the issue, and what became of it?

About this news, I remember reading somewhere last year that the local administration had merged 24 rural union councils into the urban territory of the Rawalpindi Metropolitan Corporation. Then, the corrupt turnips of the local excise department decided to send retrospective notices to almost 10,000 residents of these union councils. In some cases, they were even demanding taxes for the past 10 years. Lol! It's almost pathetic.

Yes you are right , I was given tax notice for my plaza in bahria phase 8 on 22nd Feb. That notice said that i have to give tax of 19 Lac since 2014( My plaza was not build in 2014). I was shocked to see the 19 lace figure.Its not that i don't want to pay the tax it is the way they send the tax notice without any prior notice. Our area was in the rural territory before that's what i guess i have to check with the tax guy. To my amusement they have put 7 lac fine on me for not paying tax which i never got the notice and that was part of rural area and there was a case in supreme court.

It was clear pressure tactics by excise department. When i contact the department they said we will settle the matter i asked them why then you tax me too much. They have no answer.

Well right now i am out of country once i will go back to Pakistan then i will update further