Truth we all have been ignoring about islamabad!!!

Don't know if there are any geological experts here on this forum who would like to contribute on this topic. As we all experienced little bit of shaking yesterday, i started to drill down further on this and as per my hypothesis based on the findings, islamabad is highly vulnerable to a possible major earthquake. This city is sitting on a major fault line and even a slight movement in tectonic plates will wipe this city all clean.

Basically in a layman term, if we get a 6+ magnitude earthquake with possible epic center of margalla hills, it will sure wipe out twin cities. Karachi, kashmir and swat are in the same situation. Lahore is the only safest city declared so far by the experts.

Upon digging further i found out that some research work was done on this issue back in musharraf's government and it was decided that whole city of islamabad will be moved away and all construction here will be halted on emergency basis. However, as with all other things our worthless governments cant get anything done.

So i just wanted to ask folks here about what do they think on this issue and whether there is any organization who is currently actively lobbying the current government?

Are you ‘the’ Imran Khan? It seems you want the capital to be yours or in ashes. Come what may, it is either PM Imran or dharna Imran Maula Jatt style. My way or the highway!

@Mr Imran, now all the investors and stakeholders will be after your life.

Good and informative post.

But we cannot just move the entire city around.

If there is going to be a major earthquake it will be along a major faultline. While Islamabad is close, there is not going to be a 6+ earthquake with an epicentre in Margalla hills.

With proper precautions cities around the world have managed to thrive. The whole of Japan is an example. San Francisco is another. Santiago, Chile has strict building codes and most importantly regular drills in schools, colleges and office spaces so people can evacuate on time.

If an issue is going to be brought up, we should ask that all these gated communities that are developing, are the plans being approved as per CDA by laws and relevant building codes? Are the commercial areas in Bahria Town/DHA etc up to par? I point to these areas as they are a law unto themselves.

Proper building techniques can account for most threats from earthquakes. If there is a threat to Isb/Rwp or any urban area in Pakistan is the lack of clean drinking water which no one seems to be interested in discussing.

Pardesi… You wouldn’t be a pardesi if Imran Khan was around… Till then support the parties that have caused you to leave your country and be a stranger in a foreign land with your links to Pakistan limited to buying property to justify to yourself that you still have a future there.

Pardesi Patwari Babu :smiley:

Election mein.. Ai tair e lahoti wali add chala chala ker pagal ker dia tha... Abb IMF sai loan lai ker..

Koi pochay iss ganjay sai... Abb maut nahi achi??

Yea building codes can help design a safe building. …but there must be some regulation for developing a housing society. Some laws must prohibit filling of land. Areas must be marked by housing authorities which are not suitable for construction having poor bearing capacity. I have seen many newly constucted houses and plazas cracked due to filling problems.

My disagreement with Imran Khan is that he refuses to accept election results just because he has lost. He is a sore loser.

And that is very very bad for Pakistan because it leads to instability, interruption in normal business life and it compromises the nation's mandate. The Judicial inquiry has shown that there was no large scale rigging. A few incidents here and there happen in all elections; all parties have their badmaash elements who do this.

I also opposed BB and Nawaz when they came out on the roads to dislodge each other's governments. But at least they did not hold the entire capital hostage. Yes you have the right to protest but to collude with the army and try to remove the government can never be good for democracy and economy.

I think Pakistan is very capable at instability, interruption in normal business life and being known as a pariah state, just fine without Imran Khan. Infact, it has been doing just that since the 80s. If anything, one can claim that some pressure from IK made our dear leader put his plate down and get down to do some work.

I will gladly choose a cry baby who is honest in IK then a tried and tested cheat who is only focused on filling his pockets and continuing the nihar i dynasty, as evidenced with his plane full of family and friends that went to the states.

I love my country and only want what is best for it. I can assure you the character of our present leaders does not represent our country. Till then lets keep buying property there so that when the cow does finally jump over the moon, we may move back.

Amazing logic. Support the 40 thieves who continue to loot and plunder, and damn the guy who cried wolf.

Khan bhai I support 5 years in power for whoever gets elected.

This is an interesting topic, anybody or geologists who has gathered some information on this subject, please share with us.

Great, a discussion about Islamabad's vulnerability to earthquake turned into political debate. Good going fellas.

I am really interested to know whether there was any actual plan or even a discussion to move Islamabad or was it just a rumor (highly likely). Imran A khan can you share some articles or source for this information. I can't find anything. Gracias.