Real Islamabad - Still Worth It?

Dear all, as you know, Gulberg and Multi Farmhouse enthusiasts are about to come to blows on the question of which project is better. In that thread, I have made a brief comparison and discussed the reasons for the price difference. In short, I believe that the higher price of Gulberg is not entirely unjustified given the fact that it is located on expensive raw land in islamabad territorial limits.

But here I will discuss the thought process that I went through when I wanted to buy a 5-Kanal plot in or near Islamabad about 2 years ago. I considered both Gulberg and Multi Orchards. At that time the plot in Multi was for 45 lac direct purchase from society all dues paid. In Gulberg, lump-sum options for 4-Kanal were higher than 1 crore in open market.

I thought about this choice carefully and consulted friends including people on this forum. Some people told me Gulberg is in ICT (Islamabad Capital Territory). So I asked myself yes it is in ICT - but is it really Islamabad???

If i want 4 Kanal in real Islamabad, there are options in F-8 or F-7 where I will be at the centre of the real culture of Islamabad. Traditionally, this culture is all about old bookshops, pathan operated CDA-cabin hotels under big green trees, hot shot, hiking trails, Saidpur village, itwar bazar etc. And in the past you could go to British Council Library in melody market (now closed but it used to be a great hangout place for kids when they would read books instead of gaming on i-pads) or buy vegetables from covered market (now demolished) or antiques from footpath vendors in front of g-6/4 near Lal Masjid, or walk through the thick jungle around rose and jasmine garden (now the jungle has mostly been wiped out) or purchase meat or dry fruits from Aabpara on winter evening.

Sir that was the real Islamabad if you want a feel of what Islamabad culture and life really was and is.

Now, for me at least, the real real Islamabad options in F sectors or even G sectors are unaffordable especially if I want a decent sized plot or house. Secondly do I really want that?

The fact is Islamabad culture has evolved and changed a lot. It is no longer the same sleepy town that it was in the 80s and early 90s. Now the kids here are living a high life. Not like they used to be in the old days as children of middle class government servants of grade 18, 19 etc. Back then life was very simple. At that time no hangouts at F-9 park for bowling. Plus kids went to public schools like ICB and felt good. Now, they have to go to headstart or beacon, otherwise they feel like you are not educating them right or may be you are super kanjoos. Then they did not stay out late for eating-out at Hardee's or McDonald's. At the most, one would go to super market for a quick bite and may be after a few months one might go for a burger at sam burger in Jinnah. By 9pm the markets started closing down. Now Jinnah super looks more like liberty in Lahore with loud music and young bikers testing their heavy bikes without silencers and ogling women.

The question I asked myself was this: Why pay the huge premium for Gulberg (for being in ICT) if I am still out of the real Islamabad culture. Secondly, in any case is that Islamabad culture of a sleepy town still in existence in Islamabad? No sir! That culture is fading away or already almost gone.

So why not buy a more affordable 5 Kanal plot in Multi Orchards and actually live there. Maintaining kids in Islamabad culture is more expensive then maintaining a Mercedes. And it is questionable whether all this is even good for the upbringing of kids.

Is it not a better option to to send my kids to good schools in Wah Cantt which is 5-6 km away (they have froebels, roots, Beaconhouse and more) and the chances are that the high-end lifestyle of Islamabad kids has not fully reached Wah Cantt yet.

So life in real Islamabad may be a dream but now it seems that it is becoming a lucid dream of vanilla sky.

Just to sell multi farmhouse scheme which is 50 KM away from civilization, you had to come up with a long stupid story.

Answer is still no, everyone still desires to live in ZONE-1 of Islamabad. Although not many can afford to do now.

Sheikh bhai ... Lol. Even if a few people buy in Multi based on this thread, it will make no difference to the price. And even if it makes a difference to the price, it will make no difference to a buyer like me who has no plans to sell but wants to live there inshaAllah.

However, by sharing my thoughts here, I am trying to help at least 1 or 2 people in making up their minds about whether they want to pay a premium of crores and the full deal they will or will not get in the process. In other words, if they are paying a premium will they really live in Islamabad per se? If yes then why is the price of any decent sized plot or house in posh Zone 1 sectors more than Rs 100 million?

So you want to live in Wah Cantt then ... Not in Islamabad ... Why bothering to compare it with Isb life style ?

I openly admit that its my dream to live in Zone-1 posh sectors and I cannot afford to do it. But that does not mean I live 50-60 KM outside Islamabad when we have option of Zone 2 & 5.

multi farmhouse will just serve as farm house only. I dont think many people will opt to live in middle of no where permanently. (Unless you are retired person and have nothing to do in your life)

@ Sheikh LOLXxX

They have forgotten the value & price tag of land in outskirts of Islamabad....

Ok don't pay premiun (which you believe is premium) then what you will say about DHA, bahria price tags for 4,5,10 Kanal...??

I did not get your question bro ...

You want to compare price of DHA/Bahria with multi farmhouse ??

Or what exactly is your question ??

Forget about 1,2 people. Elite has invested in GG & obviously you can't chase them, but to comment cheaply & freely here ofcourse. Your words can't through GG out of Islamabad.

"Ye jahan ha wahan he theek ha. Logon kay comments sy kaya hota ha :-) Or kon sa logon ny kisi forum sy perh kar apny decisions leny han."

Ye forum bus dill bahlany ko aik sahara ha aap jesy logon kay liye.

Thanks

@ Sheikh I wanted to say if people think GG is expensive, then my argument is compare price of 4,5 or 10 Kanal plot price within DHA /bahria which are also outskirts of Islamabad. That way they might keep themselves silence.

P.S Multi is not in Islamabad territory.

Thanks

Jinhony GG main investment ki Or karni ha, bhala unhony yahan "comments per comments karky GURU's bany walon kay analysis thory dakhny han". :-D

Thanks

That brings me to another general question not specific to Orchards or gulberg.

Is it worth paying that ridiculous premium for ANY residential plot in the 'old/real' Islamabd when one can buy and live in a decent area at a commutable distance in the outskirts and can still enjoy some of the good aspects of Islamabad ?.

What I want to ask is , what extras do you get by living in the old Islamabad apart from the pride and the status symbol ?.

Can someone please tell me some practical benefits of living there , apart from the fact that the kids can boast at school that they come from F10 ?

Dont get me wrong , I am not critical of living in the expensive areas but I just wanted to know if there are added extras in these areas, especially when the decades old infrastructure is crumbling in some areas already.

Thoughts ?

Yes Zafar you forget a word & that is "STATUS".

Simple is DON'T pay premium SO DOn't live in GG. Thats it. NO one forced you to do so.

So what will be EXTRA you people got in including MULTI within Islamabad territory. ...? :-D

Do let me know if any extras....

Thanks

SameSer

I think you did not read my comment properly or failed to get the question hence the sarcastic answer by you that was not warranted.

I did not ask the question to compare Multi or any other society with another area. Also I did not say that someone was forcing me to buy and live there, also you failed to see that I did mention ' status '.

I was asking just a general question and asked about ' PRACTICAL BENEFITS AND EXTRAS' of living in such areas, And if you dont know, the practical aspects are normally health education clean area , infrastructure , jobs, security etc

I hope you get it otherwise I can write it in Urdu if that helps you.

MULTI is leading with 5 star development standard. One guy claims this & didn't come back with development standard snapshots... :-)

What a local school & clinic & shopping mall has to do ...?

Usually people used to visit other nearby areas for such anmeties...!!

Pratical benefits is MULTI is 0 Km from blue area while GG is far way near to Jehlum.

Extras is MULTI has wide roads while GG seems more like street roads.

Amazing demands in your questions.

Thanks

I am getting the feeling that you dont understand English very well let me help you out

میں نے یہ سوال ملٹی اور پرانے اسلام آباد کا تقابلی جائزہ لینے لے لیے نہیں کیا ، یہ ایک عمومی سوال ہے جس کا ملٹی سے دور دور تک کوئی واسطہ نہیں ہے اور یہ بات میں نے اپنے پہلے انگریزی والے کومنٹ میں صاف صاف لکھ دی ہے جس کی آپ کو سمجھ نہیں آئ اس لیے اردو میں عرض کیا ہے .

اس سوال سے مہنگے سیکٹرز میں رہنے والوں پر تنقید مقصود نہیں ہے صرف یہ جاننا مقصد ہے کہ سٹیٹس کے علاوہ یہاں رہنے کا کیا عملی فائدہ ہے . امید ہے سمجھ آ گئی ہو گی آپ کو.

شکریہ

Sorry Mujy URDU nahi ayti.

To me you are here just to melt ice & nothing.

The answers you are demanding are the ones you better know than any other guy.

Embrace yourself with MULTI.

Thanks

Merey khayal sy "you are paid employee of GG", ye comment zada acha or widely used ha is forum per,you can use this for your support :-D

Thanks

When Pk1 started this thread i was literally afraid of such criticism by some of the brothers here and it went the same way !

Farm Houses are owned mostly by the wealthy richest people who just want to spend their weekends once in a blue moon for partying and the ones who are mostly RETIRED and want the peace around where they can sit in the spacious lawn reading newspaper having a cup of tea thinking of the country's fate and discussing with the old friends (if they are nearby to join) that democracy is good or dictatorship is the right choice for our country!

Where they can grow vegetables and fruits of their choice, a reasonable space for their cattle farming or any PET Breeding thing !

A swimming pool where they can have a feel of JACUZZI !

But all this is way difficult for a middle class or even stable Men who has young kids !

WHY ?

Mostly the farm houses are in the outskirts of city where you may have a limited social circle, your kids circle of friends is not all living in the farm houses, sometimes your kids might demand for a PIZZA. Dad i want it right now and you are surprised how can i fulfill my kid's "Farmaishi Program", even the delivery boy would not at all interested even if you give him PREMIUM TIP !

Im not an authority to give my comparison b/w both Schemes but let me tell you one thing their are many richest people who can still afford CG as 1 of the person i know personally who is the investor their but let me tell you one thing he is just an investor not interested in personal living !

As far as question raised by Zafar sb!

Practical benifits are Partying, wedding ceremonies, Business dinner hosted by Mr. So and So and that Mr. So and So is something and having a very fine social circle not from the middle class.

Farm House owners use this asset for renting out means to say they use this as for Business not for personal living!

And if someone having a feel that his kids will be saved from the bad community. A BIG NO because ok you are very decent but the next door farm house owner bring girls over the weekend and partying all night and your kids are all watching this around them !

So you have saved them from the messy, fast paced HIGH LIFE but on the other hand you have limit their option to learn, to give them the chance to decide by themselves between RIGHT and WRONG instead you are forcing them to live ALONE and enforcing your point of view on them !

Pk1 just a small advise brother, sometimes you have to be SILENT and not to advertise where you have done your investment !

You know all the pros and cons of your Avenue of Investment and you had done all the research before making a decision. Now its of no use to keep on talking of the same thing. Just leave it brother and find new Avenues. SIMPLE

I think this thread should turn into a serious discussion instead of criticism. Every person is different and different ideas.

ISBase

you mentioned social networking as an advantage of living in expensive areas which is valid point., only that there is more social isolation the expensive the area gets. The rich and the influential let their own kind enter their circle , they will help you out only when they can see a potential of a repay at some point.

Again I am not saying nobody should live in these expensive areas and its a very bad thing to do. I am juste exploring the the package that one may get by paying an added premium.

I think my question is more valid for those who can, by investing everything, just squeeze into an expensive area and thats it!!!. Is it worth it?

Zafar bhai there are a number of advantages of living in Zone 1 particularly the best sectors of Zone 1 if you can afford it.

Firstly, the view of the hills and the proximity to the mountain trail is a huge plus for a fan of nature. Also Zone 1 is very very green plus the most beautiful residential area of Pakistan. Beauty in my view is not due to hi fi footpaths but because of nature and greenery.

Secondly, there is the height factor. Zone 1 sectors are generally higher altitude at 1850 feet to 1950 ft above sea level whereas Zone V is about 1650 ft. Zone 2 ranges from 1650 (B-17) to 1850 (G-15).

Thirdly, the development of Zone 1 is according to Islamabad Master Plan. Typical style of CDA sectors is square shaped sector with four smaller squares inside. One Markaz at the centre of the big square and smaller markets at the centre of the 4 smaller squares.

Fourthly, the fact that influential people live in Zone 1 ensures that roads and infrastructure stays very well maintained. A big part of CDA budget goes to maintenance of the posh sectors.

Fifthly security is overall much better in Zone 1 but in Zone 5, DHA, Bahria, Doctors Town etc. Have their own private security arrangements which are better than CDA security but these islands of security. If you compare the Zones overall then Zone 1 is much more secure.

Sixthly, you save petrol costs because you are living near all facilities, markets and offices. Zone 2 has the advantage of proximity with Motorway, new airport, pindi and GT Road going to Taxila, Wah, Hasan Abdal and northern areas.

However, my question is do you think these advantages are worth the price you pay for Zone 1? If you have extra cash, then yes certainly. But if you are a middle income family then your priorities should include decent living plus decent education, health and saving. You cannot devote all your resources to just accommodation.