DHA Phase - 8 Lahore, Is It Planning Flaw Or Effort To Change The Trend?

If one looks critically on the map of DHA Phase - 8, some interesting facts are revealed which can be called either as 'flaws' in town planning or 'New Trends'. Some facts which require evaluation and comments are as under:

1- 2 Kanal plots in front row of blocks X, W, T and S are facing vertically high commercial buildings of MB commercial of Phase 6. We all know well, the cost of property degrades if the residential plot faces commercial buildings/shops. Therefore, placing 2 Kanal plots in front of MB commercial of Phase 6 will offer following disadvantages:

A) No privacy for residents of 2 Kanal plots because of overlooking height of commercial buildings in front of these future houses.

B) High security risk because of lot of public traffic in this general area due to major anticipated commercial activities.

C) The serenity and calmness one likes in homes would be compromised due to heavy traffic and public density, thereby making living quite uncomfortable and agonizing.

2- Another aspect which contradicts one basic philosophy of design planning in DHA Phase - 8 is considered to be on one side is "Too Good Town Planning" for safety and security of residents of Phase-8 while on another side total 'ignorance' on this aspect in 2 Kanal plots. To elaborate the fact, for instance look critically on the map of W block, you will find the town planning is like small 'fortress' because the whole block has just three entry/exit passages where this concept is invisible in other phases of DHA Lahore.

Dear fellows, there are many other multiple aspects which need discussion and your valuable inputs/views regarding /DHA Phase - 8. But first lets have your views on the aspects I just mentioned above. I really wonder whether it is well thought out planning or just casual overlook in the designing planning. Lets have experts views please.

Sanaullah, the limited entry/exit points in each block is similar to "cul de sac" concept, quite popular in Europe and Australia. It adds up to the serenity of residential area and in Pakistan's case, easier and effective security control too. So in my view its the most distinctive feature of phase 8, not found in any other place.

2 Kanals facing boulevard, agree with you, look odd in front of main boulevard commercial. I can't think of any good reason for that except that some ppl like to have their doors open on busy big roads :)

Other than that the town planning seems quite balanced to me, in fact I'd rank it as the best yet due to "cul de sac" concept and ample provision for sector based open spaces, commercial areas and graveyards.

MBS 3 questions brother if you can please answer?

1. When will they hand over possession in T Block of Phase 8?

2. And what percentage increase in price do you foresee at the time of possession?

3. What should be rough current price of one kanal (600 series) in T block?

Brother MBS, Thanks for educating me. To be honest I am not in knowledge of cul de sac concept as you mentioned in your comments. I will now try to google it for my further education. How will you rate investment in 1 kanal plot in W Block in plot numbers ranging from 402 - 425. By the way kindly educate me further as why the plots I just mentioned are not having front on 100 feet road, I am told that probably back of these future houses will be on 100 feet road. Thanks again for your valuable input.

Dear Pardesi, my guess about possession of T Block is around last part of year 2016 or first half of 2017 maximum. In my wide opinion overall 35 - 45 percent hike in prices will be there by the time the possession time frame comes. On possession one can expect 10 - 15 percent rise in prices. 600 series plots in T Block are on the boundry line and price of 1 kanal plot may range from 110 to 120 depending upon the exact location of plot.

Best Regards

Thank you Sana Ullah. JazakAllah.

I would be a bit more optimistic than Sanaullah on possession timeline. Considering the progress made since development started in 2012, it would be reasonable to expect possession latest by 2016.

And in that case 40% increase on average could be expected.

@Pardesi, the price range given by sanaullah looks appropriate.

@Sanaullah i've heard it too that two side open plots will have their fronts on the inner side but I am not sure if its confirmed, you might want to confirm it with DHA directly. If it were to me, I could think of two reasons for not having them opened on 100' rd:

One, to ensure security so all residents/visitors enter the block from the dedicated entry/exits only.

Two, the broad way is much elevated compared to the plots alongside it so technically it wont be possible to have front side on 100'.

And the plots range you mentioned is very good and I think you should expect good gains there.

FYI: Excerpt from Wikipedia:

The use of culs-de-sac reduces the amount of car traffic on residential streets within the subdivision, thus reducing noise, air pollution and the probability of accidents. Ben-Joseph (1995) and Lovegrove/Sayed (2006) indicate a substantially lower collision rate for street networks based on the cul-de-sac street type.

While all intersection types in general increase the incidence of fatal crashes, four-way intersections, which rarely occur in a network with cul-de-sac or loop streets, increase total and injurious crashes significantly. The study recommends hybrid street networks with dense concentrations of T-intersections and concludes that a return to the 19th century gridiron is undesirable.

This decrease in traffic, in turn, is thought to lower the incidence of crime and increase desirability, because in most cases the people who traverse the cul-de-sac either live there or are guests of those who do.

CPTED planning principles suggest increased natural surveillance and sense of ownership as a means of fostering security in a neighbourhood.

Both of these phenomena occur naturally on a cul-de-sac street as does social networking. Design guidelines based on the CPTED perspective recommend its use for these reasons.

Cul-de-sac streets increase spontaneous outdoor activity by children. A study in California examined the amount of child play that occurred on the streets of neighbourhoods with different characteristics; grid pattern and culs-de-sac.[13] The findings indicate that culs-de-sac showed substantial increase in play activity than the open grid street pattern. Culs-de-sac reduce perceived danger from traffic thereby encouraging more outdoor play.

Similar studies in Europe[14] and Australia[15] found that children’s outdoor play is significantly reduced on through roads where traffic is, or perceived by parents to be, a risk. In addition, they confirmed the results of the seminal Donald Appleyard 1982 study which showed the negative correlation between amount of traffic and social networks. This inverse correlation between amounts of traffic and sociability of streets was reconfirmed by a newer study [16] that repeated Appleyard’s San Francisco analysis in Bristol, UK. It showed that the cul-de-sac street with the lowest traffic of the three streets had the highest level of social interaction. These studies recommend the use of the cul-de-sac or strong traffic calming measures. When culs-de-sac are interconnected with foot and bike paths, as for example in Vauban, Freiburg, Village Homes, Davis, California, they can increase active modes of mobility among their residents.[17]

From an environmental perspective, culs-de-sac allow greater flexibility than the common grid in adapting to the natural grades of a site and to its ecologically sensitive features, such as streams creeks and mature forest growth.

The desirability of the cul-de-sac street type among home buyers is implied by the evidence that they often pay up to a 20% PREMIUM for a home on such a street, according to one study

Thanks brother MBS and Perdasi !!!

Bhaio, how is the comparison of prices between Phases 6, 7 and 8 of DHA Lahore? 1 kanal.

And what is the future outlook - which of these phases has better prospects.

Location wise, Phase 8 seems best among these.

I think high tension electric wires are also passing tbrough Phase-8, I am not sure about the exact block number. Many people dont like to live under high tension wires. Will it alao effect the plot prices of that block?

Dear PK1, my views on the aspects raised by you are as under:-

1. Price Comparison. W and T Block in phase - 8 are considered to be best. The average cost of 1 Kanal plot in W Block ranges from 140 to 165, depending on location of plot. Whereas, T Block is almost double the size of W Block. The prices varies from 110 to 165. T block is divided into two parts, part 1 - between 160 feet Bridge Express Way Road and 100 Feet Road (towards Berki side or S Block). The prices in this part of T Block are almost similar to W Block with minor variations. Part -2, between 100 feet road and the end of block with S Block. The prices in this portion of T Block are lower because unlike W Block and part 1 of T Block, it is not facing MB Commercial of Phase 6. Secondly, it gets a bit closer to Berki side along with S Block. If I have to be precise, I will say, prices in part 1 of T Block is ranging from 135 to 165 and in part 2, it can be from 110 - 140, depending upon exact location of plot.

In phase 7, the overall price estimates are in the range of 80 to 145. Part of Phase - 7 has already been granted possession whereas remaining blocks are likely to get possession soon, may be by end of this year. On the contrary, Phase - 8 is in the initial stages of development and may get possession by 2016. So one can draw relevant conclusions of prices between theses two phases. Phase - 8 seems much better from investment and living point of view in comparison to phase - 7.

in phase - 6, it is fully developed phase and already have handsome number of families living in this phase. Construction of houses on vacant plots are also decently under way. The price range varies from block to block, the general range is from 120 - 175. Again if one draws comparison between phase 6 and phase 8. Phase - 8 seems on much better pedestal again. The prices of 1 kanal plot in prime blocks of phase - 8 after possession will easily and substantially overtake prices of prime blocks of Phase - 6.

In nutshell, Phase 8 has much better prospects both, from investment and living point of view.

As Pk1 already mentioned and I fully endorse his point of view that phase - 8 has the best location amongst DHA Phases.

As far as Irfan Sahib's point is concerned about HT Electric Wire. It is true, there is 132 KV HT Line in phase - 8. The HT Line is passing through blocks U , V and ending in Block Y. Rest of Blocks like X, W , T and S have no issues with regards to HT Line. One should avoid buying plots in Blocks U,V and Y in close vicinity of 132KV HT Line. Surely, prices of plots in theses block close to HT Line will be lower than other plots.

Best of luck and stay blessed !!!

Sana Ullah bhai that is a brilliant explanation of DHA new phases. JazakAllah!

Bhai, you are always wc.

Is any machinery working in Phase 8? Or there is standstill status?

Guys, Although its a bit old post but still i am trying my luck to get some advice, Can anybody please advise the current situation in Phase-8? Po session has been give? Development progress?

I am interested to buy one 10 marla plot in it, is it a good move? Is there any further hike expected in price?

Which blocks are good as compared to rest?

Appreciate your kind responses, in advance.

Phase-8 possession is expected in 2017. 10-Marla plots are available in X & Y blocks only, its price would be around 85-90 Lacs. In order to get some gains, u need to wait till possession.

Thanks Irfan bhai, I heard that posession is due in 2016?

Any updates on development?

Sir phase 8 ex-parkview k 2 kanal plot ha D446 to D451 unh ki back 1 kanal plots facing ho gi??