New budget: Govt trying to Crash property prices?

After going through the proposals for the new federal budget, it becomes clear that there are a number of measures being proposed which may indirectly have a negative impact on property trading. This is also being followed up by enforcement actions, such as surprise raids by FBR teams on property expos etc. Now, in an interview with jang, a top official of FBR has openly revealed the govt's direction i.e. The govt Wants to see the prices come down in real estate. Here is the content of his interview:

Https://e.Jang.Com.Pk/06-26-2015/pindi/pic.Asp?Picname=516.Gif

So where do we go from here?

Hmmmmm this looks interesting…

Why would the govt be interested in bringing a crash in property market? Afterall it will not be good for their reputation. Can this policy really cause a “crash” in property market? I doubt it, maybe some further slowdown if implemented. That’s just my view. Thx.

All idiots in government belong to patwari background. …why they need to crash their bread and butter???..

I dont think so either… Property ka CrAsH hona is close to impossible now.

Plus heer ulti khaber ya tou jang/geo mein ho gee ya N-league kee taraf sai ho gee. :stuck_out_tongue:

The thing I find worth noticing in this news item is that the govt official while acknowledging a problem that market rates in some cases are up to 10 times more than collector rates has adopted a negative approach to address the issue.

The govt could have addressed this issue by raising the collector rates bringing them closer to current market rates. This would have resulted in additional tax collection for the govt.

Instead, they want to resolve this anomaly by tightening the noose around investors so that market rates will gradually fall down towards the collector rates! It all seems to be by design. If this is how the govt is viewing the real estate market then frankly all bets are off.

If we accept above discussion that it will really be the case that property prices will remain in check, I think one should invest in Zone 1 whose prices still go up due to demand VS supply gap.

This news seems all talk followed by no action. Property mafia is way more stronger than our government.

Everyone start comments without understanding news. FBR trying to get withholding tax as per actual rate on which land is transferred by checking bank transfer money from buyer to seller. People sell and buy on higher rates and show less price in documents to avoid tax.

Now if someone to save tax money with making less transfers and less transactions then in return market will crash, i don't think so. There are dozen other factors which effect price.

@Ali. Sir I think the matter is not as simple as you have stated. Please do read through the interview again and see how a number of times within the interview, the official has expressed his "hope" and "optimism" that as a result of these measures, prices of property will come down across the country.

Also the issue of withholding tax is a little more complicated than this. All banking instruments are not used for property sale/purchase only. In fact majority is used for routine transactions. By enforcing withholding tax on all instruments, govt has invented a new means of extorting money from public as few people claim their adjustments in annual returns, so the money eventually remains with the govt. But more on that later.

As for cracking down on black money, the govt is running an obscene money whitening scheme in the stock market where all black money can be whitened within three months. Why doesn't the govt apply the same glorious principles of documentation and tax base broadening over there? Why is it reserved for the property market only? There should be no doubt that there is an ill-intention involved in this move and if people actually start getting tax notices from July onwards on their property transactions then there will be an impact.

How will this impact the property market as a whole? I will comment on that after getting some further data but this is unquestionably a bad move for property.

@Kashif Sheikh. Your observation is spot on.

Withholding tax on every bank instrument/transaction has started negative impact in every sector ranging from pay transfer to industrial sector (i.e Textile). People transfer funds on daily basis for routine matters across the board.

One have to pay tax when he will deposit and as well as on withdrawl ( doubling) every time.

On July 6-7, strike may be observe in faisalabad by traders.

Taking more n more out of our pockets!!

It seems the govt is going to prove me wrong. This tax is having a bad effect. According to latest media reports it is now causing dollarization because people are now preferring to hold cash, which they keep in dollars to save its value. This is a news item from today's paper:

http://epaper.dawn.com/DetailNews.php?StoryText=05_07_2015_010_005

Its another shameful step on part of munshi ishaq dar,apart from taking loans from IMF and innovating new ways to tax,he has zero capability to work on world stage,people like him should be confined to sunday bazars for price control,nawaz and his cronies should come out of their nehari fantasy,and sit down to understand the basics first

My Bank customer service agent tells me that they have daily fights in the bank since this budget activated on 1st July but Bank can't do anything since it has to follow the rules from the state bank.

@Adnan has very well pointed out Nawaz and his family incompetence. As PML-N has taken the biggest loan in these 2 years compared to the total history of Pakistan so they have to return with interest. IMF/World bank have no concern how we pay them back, they just need the installments on time. Ihaq Dar has to follow IMF orders as the loan are condition based so they dictate the terms and condition.

We will see more taxes on Utilities such as electricity , water, Gas, Telephone, internet. While PML-N is busy minting money from Cement, steel and sugar.

Everyone should withdraw money from banks and put it in lockers. Tab govt ko shayad aqal ajaye. The bigger the black economy the more difficult to collect taxes.

Dekho dekho kaun aia sher aia sher aia :slight_smile:

One can avoid this tax by filing income tax return…it is only on non-compliant persons

Agree with Asad Malik Sb. Very bad situation all over and this man use to say that “he has the best experienced team.” I guess they were only experienced in looting and filling their own pockets.