Investor Alert: The Fake "Guru"

@Nasir05, paste the abusive mail here for others to understand things.

@Nasir05. I would appreciate if you don't post any such things here and prove yourself to be the better person. This forum needs a little break to get back to normal.

On another note, I am feeling that this post might have had some unforeseen outcomes. It was meant to merely enlighten members about an evolving new form of online scam after the infamous emails from Nigeria and lottery scam from spain. However, it seems that some of our genuine experts have become overly cautious which is entirely unnecessary!

Forum gurus must join and share their views on this tread

Allah maaf karny walon ko pasand kerta hai!! if u ask and want forgivness from Allah on judgement day, than start forgiving His people in dunya.

Not sure about if the same group active on online forum, but I know for a fact that such groups are active in playing up properties in real. For instance, they would buy dirt cheap property at an unknown project and then pool some money to invest in classified ads and news about development. Teamed up with CDA, they even manage to leak some "inside news". This attracts second line of investors/dealers, who then trigger panic button and rope in casual investors with the promise of huge returns in short-term. As the situation hypes and the bubble gets bigger, these players sell and walk off with max profits in pockets.

They call it "game".

This happens but you cant make money this way in unknown projects. Only big projects is where you will find realtime examples of this actually happening.

This happens in conspiracy with CDA offcials in I-15, E-12 etc where they give news of development work starting soon etc.

@Pardesi. This can happen anywhere. The trick that underlies the whole scenario is not the reputation of the society. It is the credibility of the news which in turn depends on the repute of the source/person. If there is a “Big News” related to even an unknown area, and people believe that news, it can create an upswing in prices almost anywhere, even in an agricultural area. That is where the fake guru comes in. His identity as a “Guru” is central to his deception scheme. Like a mugger on a street uses a gun, the fake guru uses his Online ID. Without their weapon, neither of them can rob anyone.

There is a difference between what 'can' happen and what 'actually' happens.

Can you give me an example of an unknown bad area having been sold in a big way through online forums?

The only example is Roshan Pakistan - but that was promoted by Star Marketing not by online gurus. And even Roshan Pakistan was not that much unknown. It was in a CDA recognised sector. The only thing wrong with it is that the sponsors did not get NOC from CDA and just closed down their office.

Pardesi, I have witnessed this game played in E-12, while there was absolutely no activity, just inside "leaked news" and everyone went nuts. Plot prices skyrocketed overnight. Then came I-14 then I-16 then B-17, Soan Garden, Naval Anchorage... Goes on.

I can bet, we all are waiting this to happen with our place of investment. Isn't it.

Isloo you are spot on. I know exactly the kind of things you are referring to. The lobbyists also make sure that the News gets planted in papers enjoying some credibility and not the likes of evening papers.

@Pardesi. I think you are missing the point here. Use of social media for property discussions is a relatively new phenomenon in Pakistan and is slowly but surely catching up, and so are the risks associated with its use. Does it really matter whether the projects initially being targeted by scammers are well known or less known? If the fake gurus are on the hunt, they will operate wherever they can trap their next prey.

I think people of Pakistan are not so blind who will invest after discussion on social media forum.The 99% people of Pakistan have same mentality to checks the rates several times before invest.

I think social media is good addition in information world. Other wise until 1999 people were relying on news paper and property dealers.

Hum to aik mobile purchase kartay waqt 50 shops visit kartain hain then how some one will invest blindly.

You have to be kidding me! This theory about a guru causing a run on the market is so daft that I couldn't sell it to my 5-year old.

To the retard who started this idiotic thread: What do you take us for? Is there a sign on our foreheads or a badge saying we're from the same institution as you?

Seriously, get yourself a life.

I am amazed at how gullible and easy to deceive our people can be. If it weren't the case, we would not be having one scam after the other, from forex scam to double shah to the mudaraba scams until very recently. Frankly I wouldn't have expected even a 2 year old to fall for these any more. Yet, year after year, thousands, seemingly knowledgeable and well educated people keep falling for these same traps. Perhaps it is not so much about common sense and more about greed.

Enclave-2 for which we have an active thread on this forum is one of the best examples in real estate. That project was never officially launched by Bahria, No TV adverts, no newspaper ads, nothing. Most people found out about it through online media and word of mouth. I am sure all the people, as smart as we are, must have visited 50 dealers. Yet, some people bought that file for 9.5 lakhs and others bought the same file for 14.5 lakhs, all in the same market! In fact different people bought that file even from the same dealer at different rates! Then there are even worse and lesser known projects in which people have been trapped for years.

Given this background, I am glad this warning was shared. In fact I would recommend to Zameen admin to post its core content as a disclaimer for the information of new members on its forum homepage.

Thanks Raza sb. The examples you have mentioned are very pertinent. In fact even now, despite all this awareness, some people are falling for a trap by buying in Eden Islamabad.

At the same time, I find it a little amusing that a couple of people seem to be getting quite defensive over my post! I didn't name anyone, nor did I accuse anyone on this forum of doing such a thing. It was just a news item which I shared to create awareness on a potential issue. Yet, some people seem particularly rattled. I wonder why?!!

@Kashif Sheikh. What a question man! You are really Bholey badshah. I want YOU to answer that question yourself. You have stepped on the head of the scorpion and wondering why it is trying to sting you with its venomous tail! I can answer that directly but I would like you or any other intelligent member to apply their mind before I reply. You have till tomorrow to answer.

@Falcon. This question reminds me of a joke someone sent to me wrt Defense day.

Teacher: Batao Biwi, begum aur wife mein kya baat common hai?

Student: Sir, ye sub India, Bharat aur Hindustan ki tarah aik hi dushman ke mukhtalif naam hain!

I hope I made my point!

@Wajeeh. Good answer, but I am expecting something better. Kashif why don’t you give it a try?

@Falcon. Janab everyone can’t be a “fake guru hunter” like you! You are sharp and blunt. To be honest I am still not 100% sure what you are telling me with that scorpion example, but just working back on your past comments, are you saying that these people e.g. Pardesi, Baloch, are the pseudo accounts being used by someone else whom we know and who has been exposed already?!

@Kashif Sheikh. Now you are talking! Bol ke lab Azad hain tere!!

Sheikh sb and Falcon

Please note all fakies hv changed their psudo names and hv more patriotic ones.

http://www.zameen.com/forum/discussions/projects_and_developments/open_letter_to_president_cdechs__10_points_of_members-10682-6.html