Polishing of marble floor

I was looking for literature regarding methods usually employed in pakistan for polishing of marble floor (crystallization or oxalic acid). Can anybody guide me on the subject.

Not sure but check SMEDA website. Govt has made some marble zone in Risalpur. If they have website or number, it would be great for you.

If still you can't find any material, call 0300 5001231. It's number of Hassan marble in I-9. The Chacha at the hassan marble is old man and spent all his life in this work.

Thanks B. R. Malik.

I need to understand the terms which is generally used by floor grinding persons i.e chemical polish and wax polish and What chemical they use for polishing the floor?

Not sure really. I don't think there is any chemical which they use. I have only seen machines having particular type of stone which has some numbers. Initially they use heavy stone which is called " Kataai"to cut the uneven marble. After that they polish it.

Call HASSAN marble and they might answer you.

Sorry. I was wrong. I checked again. First they do "kataai" with hard stone of particular number under the machine. Than they do with a sandpaper( raigmaal) wrapped under machine. Than another very soft sandpaper. Lastly they do polish with some yellow coloured hard thing called chemical and that too fixed under the machine.

I hope it's clear now.

Marble polishing is carried out in various steps. 1st marble cutting is carried out to make the marble floor even. While marble cutting, rough cutter leaves its circular cutting marks on the marble.To remove those cutting marks finer grid cutters are used step by step, which are in shape of stone called "watyan" (named used by polishers). Each higher grid stone removes the cutting or scratch marks left by the previous one. At last you reach the stage that at which no cutting or scratch marks are left and marble start reflecting light and start shinning. Finally a protector called yellow is used which also enhance the marble shine. (For details study bellow)

Polisher are very smart they take advantage of our ignorance and skip various finer grid stones in polishing steps which cost them more and also help them save time.

Once the cutting is complete the fine cutting stones are used in sequence. 1st they use stone No 1, then No 2, then No 3, then use stone No 400, then No 600, then No 800, then No 1200, then No 3000, then No 5000 and in last Yellow (Protector) for complete polish.But usually all polisher only go till No 800 skipping the rest and use yellow in the last. Some don't even follow the sequence after using No 1, No 2 and No 3 they use No 400, No 600 and No 800 mixed up and then yellow polish which is a total crap.

So be care full and discuss with your polisher before giving him the job. Some of them will not be knowing that they have to use finer grid stones "watyan" after No 800. Also you will not find the finer like No 1200, No 3000 and No 5000 in common shops.

What would be the estimated cost of polishing marble for a double storey house of 500 sq yards?