Issues Overseas Pakistanis are facing while investing in Pakistan

Do you want to invest in real estate in Pakistan especially for DHA. if no, what are the reasons/ issues so that we can address those issues for you. if the answer is yes, what attracts you most towards investing in DHA, Pakistan.
Defence Housing Authority (DHA) Pakistan has assigned us to find out the issues overseas Pakistani are facing while investing in real estate especially for DHA, so that we can address these issues for you.
This form is part of a research conducted in collaboration with the Defence Housing Authority (DHA).Urban Consultants (Pvt.) Ltd. a leading research firm is conducting this survey to assist DHA.

Good initiative, glad to hear

I would suggest you first need to conduct research on what type of properties/investments the overseas Pakistanis “now” need rather what they were after 20-30 years back. Overseas Pakistanis in USA/Canada/Europe have totally different requirements as they mostly have citizenship compared to the Pakistanis living in GCC counteries and elsewhere with no local citizenship paths. Speaking from a personal perspective I would say the majority of Pakistanis settled in USA/Canada/Europe are now looking for a holiday type property which will be occupied for a few months a year that is safe to live in, easy to manage and can be left empty in a secure environment. Most amenities e.g. shops, restaurents, clinics etc. need to be within walking distance with minimal use of a vehicle. If DHA can work on such project(s) I think they might see a good response. The fact is our new generation is no longer interested in making big investements in Pakistani property as every other person I know has had a very bad experience to tell. The majority are now going to holidays in Turkey, UAE. Morocco etc. whereas Paksitan should have been their natural first choice.

1 Like

Yes, very true but this is one side of the picture.
I lived abroad for 26 years with , Alhamdolilla, luxuries but now cannot even think to continue there post retirement.
Came and ese lugta hay jese chirya Apne ghounsle main wapus aa gae hay…
These are 1000s of examples where sons/dahghters buy houses/properties for their elderly parents to live in their dreams with old buddies and their janam places…
Not only this they buy extra for rental income for their parents to live without any tension.
Young generation will never settle in Pakistan but this shifting is happening on large scale…
Just visit one evening phase-8 villas and see old elderly couples siting outside the homes.
This is in all good societies…
3 of my renter’s are the same including mine in DHA.

3 Likes

Yousef sahib, I agree with your point of view and indeed this topic is quite vast to cover in a mere half page reply on this forum. The generation of Pakistanis who went abroad in 80s/90s will no doubt mostly want to come back and retire in Pakistan but that sadly is not the case for their children who may have born and bred abroad especially in USA/Canada/Europe. They do not mind visiting Pakistan on a short holiday but sadly that is as far it goes in most cases. UAE/Turkey have sold billions of USD worth of property to this generation and I beleive Saudi is also targetting this group for religious tourism along with the option of owning a property in KSA. I personally know many families whose elders have property in DHA1/2 and BT (all phases) which they visit each year but I have also noticed that many are selling out the larger 1 kanal+ type properties and opting for something smaller and easier to manage. High end apartments with inhouse swimming pool, gym, shops, restaurents etc. types facilities currently being sold in UAE/Turkey etc. are in my opinion now becoming more desirable for this group of investor.

1 Like

Yes Khan sb
There is a famous trend Pakistanis are investing abroad. I myself invested in Dubai when it was a boom & Alhamdolilla sold inside the boom & came out with handsome profit which gave me a plot in DHA.
But one must be very thoughtful investing in UAE if one is not a RP holder.
When I sold my property, I ended up in a trouble to send all money to Pakistan. Luckily I was Qatar resident & shifted whatever extra was not allowed to shift from Dubai to Pak.
However there is good thing that a good % of Pakistanis are buying good rental properties especially in Turkey & and bringing foreign currency back home in the form of rental income

2 Likes

Indeed Qayyum sb, nothing like being home. I think it is a very increasing and popular trend for overseas PKs to come back after working and not only enjoy being among their own people but contributing to local economy.

1 Like

Dear Urban consultants, I just visited the DHA Islamabad website to see what properties/plots are currently on offer by DHA and all I could find under the DHA “property exchange” menu and submenu “Inventory - Sale/Rental” was 1 property and 1 plot?. Surely this is not correct… Overseas clients are not likely to book a return flight to DHA offices in Islamabad to see what is available for sale. DHA need to revamp their website and make it a one window operation for sale of properties/plots which shoud be easy to navigate for a common man/women. The Emaar website is probably a good example to look at in terms of user friendliness and presentation of information.

1 Like

thank you very much for your response Rauf sb. i will check with DHA and will get back to you on this shortly.

1 Like

thank you. your suggestions are noted and will be communicated to DHA administration.

1 Like

Another vitally important issue is that DHA must tell it’s client about the core issues of litigations in the key locations which are under development.
For example, in DHA-5, there is litigation on the very DHA Expressway and DHA failed to possess 3km litigation patch enroute to DHA valley.
This litigation clearance can turn DHA valley into gold mine as DHA valley will be just 8 km from the signal free Islamabad Highway & will join Bluebell block of DHA valley which is 95 % already developed.
Expats cannot come only to see whether or not this issue is solved. DHA must put them in clear picture.

2 Likes

I am an overseas Pakistani who has invested into DHA. The problems I faced are :

1. Poor UI/UX.
  2. DHA website allows to pay plot on its website but exchange rate is 40% more for paying via credit card.
  3. There is no option to pay advance tax on the website.
  4. Some links are broken and I am unable to download few documents.
  5. The website is not compatible with mobile devices.
  6. Can’t find an option to update my address. I just moved to a new address but I can’t update via their website.
  7. Customer service is poorly trained. I called to ask what is the exact amount of tax I have to submit. I was re directed to 4 different persons but no one had clue what was the exact amount I am suppose to pay. They seem to reply with the pre drafted replies.
1 Like

Shahzad
Element of inefficiency is a trade mark in DHA office in DHA-1.
You have to be advised to go at least 3 or 4 wrong places before you come back to right one.
Last time I was routed to 5 places and then I shouted loud in Gora’s language which it seems they respect to listen…
Finally one man came out from office & guided me correctly…
DHA office has a serious problem of poor office working…
But DHA valley office is lot better…
Even in Askari Bank no proper deposit slips of correct account are not available & if you deposit on a wrong slip, you are in big trouble & bank would not own it’s fault…

sab jagah yehi hal hai, CDA staff k samnay to DHA walay farishtay hein. Even private societies like Faisal town, top city etc have same behaviour for end customers. But ye sab dealers k aagay palkein bicha daitay hein.

@tahira.malik some suggestions to improve quality and quantity of responses.

1. Launch this survey on google forms
  2. Share link for forwarding on whatsapp
  3. make it bilingual (urdu/english)
  4. add “no formal school”, “high school (class 1-10)” and “college (11-12)” in education as many working class overseas Pakistani investors may not fall in the given educational categories.
  5. If the survey objective is to get insight into issues faced by overseas Pakistani that prevent them from investing in DHA, then this questionnaire does not cover it properly. As indicated by the learned forum members above, there are whole host of issues that you need to enquire about. Such as: issues dealing with DHA office, dealers, development/possession, policies, services, facilities, fees/penalties, information and communication (website, call center, etc.)