Reconstructed House

Can you guys please guide me on what are the pros and cons with price negotiating points for a house that’s rebuilt. I am considering a house in Bahria that is told to be reconstructed because the owner didn’t like the house initially constructed and covered up its deficiencies.
The house looks fine on surface but I need to know what do I need to consider before buying and does this factor affects price due to any reason?
I am not pro at these tech things so any suggestion and advice would be really appreciated and greatly taken

Was the house rebuilt from ground up or was it partially changed by demolishing a certain part and rebuilding that specific part?

If it was rebuilt all over again 100%, then it should be fine (provided material quality is same etc). However, if a certain area or part was demolished and rebuilt, then there maybe chances of structural issues or damage. If that is the case, you may have a negotiating point but I would avoid such a house because it could be a huge pain even if the house ends up costing you less.

1 Like

One of the main & biggest problems of these type of houses is the drain lines…
When redoing partially, the labourers damage the concealed drain pipes while using hammers & chisels and water starts ingressiing and spreading to the main structure.
Dampness is very dangerous for the whole house and ultimately the house to be put on sale.
May be the owner is facing the same issue…
Secondly, a good architect designes keeping in mind the center of gravity of the structure which is a complex calculation in Auto Cad & a partial destruction/ construction may alter this aspect.
This becomes vital during any earthquake, Allah Save from it…

2 Likes

The owner says he rebuilt only washrooms and kitchen as he didn’t like the structure and wanted better style and quality for his own living. It apparently looks great from surface. Thanks for sharing your opinion, I am wondering isn’t there any way to check and verify if any fundamental issues in structure exist or not?

Thanks for sharing all these insightful details. I am wondering if the seepage, sewerage issues can only be identified once one starts living in can’t be checked earlier by any means

It looks like that plumbing was or is the biggest issue of the house… Why he had only so much interest in changing baths and kitchen?
The home should be normal built and its ok but if there is water leakage issue then never go near it otherwise plumbing leakage is untreatable cancer or you will have to demolish everything in kitchen and bath and pipes connecting to tank to stop that leakage…,

There are two ways to identify the leakage in bath and kitchen…

1. Pressure Test for 5 to 24 hours
    Or
  2. Fill the water tank and connect it to baths and kitchen for at least 15 days to 30 days…

(But the pressure test is more effective at this stage at least, though it will be time consuming…

The second test of filling water tank is not that effective and too much time consuming…)

If there was any leakage in the plumbing, it will be visible…

1 Like

As per him the quality and design of both was old style with low quality material so he got them done as per his own choice.
Thank you loads for suggesting ways to check, at this point pressure test sound plausible , let me check if there is some companies who can perform this test for me fairly here.

Indeed Pressure test will be time taking at this stage but doable… pressure test will identify the leakage problems, if any, in hot and cold water supply lines from water tank… where in sewerage lines, you will have to close the outlet sewerage line and fill all the sewerage pipes with water for 30 days and you will have to remove the false ceiling in the baths and kitchento identify the leakage in ceiling from the sewerage lines OR
If you can not take that big headache for sewerage line and wait for 30 days, Just remove the false ceiling from baths and see if there are any signs of leakage in the past in the ceiling… Good luck

Highly likely that there won’t be any sign after removing false ceiling because house has not be used much except for the guard for last 6 months so if there is no regular flow then it might take some time to show up any signs of sewerage problem.
Yes you are right I don’t have much time to check and owner might not even wait for it but let me check if there is any work around.
Thank you for the tips and wishes as well. Really needed them.

I am witness of the similar problem…
A friend wanted to rent brand new house but renter requested to make at least one washroom to be changed to Indian style (desi) seat for his mother & remove commode…
The washroom was just above the basement…owner did not closely supervised the destruction phase…job was done & washroom had nice look.
After some days, water ingress showed up at basement false ceiling…
The plumber damaged the main 4" drain which cost my friend like fortune…

So there is high probability that issue exists and even owner is not aware. But its been almost 6 months the house has been constructed, occupied by guard only. Is that enough time and consumption by one person to have such leakage issues exhibited underneath false sealing?
I thought finding ready house would be easier than constructing with full time supervision but probably I was wrong.

Sumaira Bibi
I do not want to discourage you but these drain problems are the main concerns of a reconstructed or even in new house.
Plus damp can also come up from house foundations if DPCs were poorly done. That problem also escalate in the whole house.
But it takes a lot of time before foundation bound dampness could be identified…
Good luck with new house but making a new house by your own is not that much difficult especially in good society where official engineers provide supervision visits at each stage.
Bahria town & DHAs are good in this regard.