Soil Test Before Home Construction

Hi folks, Aoa,

I am going to build home in Islamabad. One of my friends mentioned soil test.

Do we need that before construction and if it is recommended? What other test do we need please?

Thanks a lot,

-Dr Musi.

Its recommended depending on the areas. If you suspect a filled area then soil test must be conducted to confirm it.

A architect or in layman's language your thekaydar/contractor must know whether you need a soil test or not. It is must for some areas in Islamabad, whereas some plots dosen't require soil testing. It is a must in Bahria Town because of filling, also in DHA.

I request you to do a soil test… Specially if u r going fr DHA or bahria…trust me!

Soil tests for high rise buildings and hilly areas must required but for plain surface and small houses does not required at all....Also commercial projects required to fulfill their formalities and official paper works.

We need to see the NSL level for foundation weather it is on 2 ft or 8 ft.....

Do not worry and safe extra costs....

DSA

www.designsource99.weebly.com

Thanks a lot for every friend.

FYI, The area is Soan Garden, Islamabad, E Block. As it is adjacent to DHA and Bahria, so soil test must be a must?

Dear Mr Musi...

In my view no need to waste money...You can ask the other ppls around your house....For a house no need to get soil test....You can use this for termite rather wasting....

Regards

Soil test is not rocket science you can do it your self aswell. Fill 1/3 of bottle with soil from the bottom which has to taken from be atleast 2 feet deep. Add one spoon of salt and fill the rest with water shake it few time till it becomes a shake than leave it for 24 hours.

After 24 hours if the bottom part of the bottle is half the volume than its sandy and if the central part of the bottle has more volume than its clay.

And it wont cost you nothing .

As mentioned by H-T, this simple test is to check soil particle size.The proper method is called Hydrometer test.

Regardless whether soil is clay or sand or mix, for residential houses it doesn't matter.

Generally,native soil is acceptable for foundation if the ground water table is below foundation.