Solar Energy System

I noticed that no one discuss about this important subject. With the current power shortage situation one should think about investing in solar energy. It should be part of house construction plan. I have recently installed system for my house and prior to it did a lot research on the cost and available system options. With a right sort of configuration one can save a lot on electric bill and counter load shedding at the same time.

(I am not an installer, just sharing my experience)

Wonderful ,you are absolutely right , solar energy is need of the time ,

BROTHER as you have already installed the system , so please share with us the types and prices please

Yes. Waiting for details regarding your experience.

@ Baig,

Please update us with your experience.

Looking forward for your positive response.

Thank you.

There are few important steps to be taken before getting a solar system designed. There are two objectives of the system, one to save Wapda billing cost and the other to use as a back up system in case of load shedding or both can be achieved.

First step is to calculate expected load and the appliances to be run on Solar System. Keep in mind that you can also run Inverter based 1.5 Ton Air Conditioner takes 3.5 AMPs and 1300 to 1400 watts. The normal AC takes 2800 watts. To calculate load, you need to plan number of bulbs, Fans, Fridge, LCD TV to run on Solar System. Following is the details of Wattage taken by each unit.

LED Bulb 5 - 7 watts

Fan 80 to 90 watts

LED TV 100 to 120 watts

Fridge 300 to 500 Watts

Inverter AC 1400 watts (1.5 Ton Half tone is further less)

When you complete load calculations, the next step is to

plan for a solar system Load. If the load is 3000KV you need total load of 4000 KV system as 100% efficiency can not be obtained due to various factors.

Next Step:

On-Grid, Off-Grid or Hybrid system

On Grid: works in case Wapda is down

Off- Grid: works independently takes power from Solar system

Hybrid:

Very effective system, takes power from solar directly, if the load is more than solar power, mix power from Wapda, if both fail takes power from Batteries (if installed)

Hybrid system is very smart and program to handle any way you want. In future with the hybrid system, excess load can be sent back to the Grid, Government is working on the tariff for net-metering, your Wapda meter will run in reverse mode and you will get credits for that as you are supplying excess power to the Grid.

For those who are installing batteries for back-up, they have to plan for how many hours do they need as back-up. I suggest only install AGM Gel batteries as they work from 5 - 7 years or more depending on your their discharge.

My system is 6000 KV which can run Two inverter based AC, 12 Bulbs, 8 Fans, LCD TV and Fridge. Other appliances can be run with a load management.

Cost depends on the size of the system and it's configuration. I can give you a precise cost estimate based on your requirement. (I am not an installer, just a user and sharing my experience only)

Please do let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks baig sb,

can you elaborate on prices ,durability,

and life span of the solar system

There are three components:

Solar panels, Inverter charges and Batteries

Solar Arrays (panels) are good for 25 years linear efficiency, If the inverter is good it works as long as system in place, batteries depend on charging and discharging cycles. AGM batteries are long life, good batteries should work from 7 to 10 years. They are maintenance free and very safe as they are sealed.

Price depends on the total Load required and on the configuration. With right type of system cost can be recovered within 3 years.

Baig sb ,

what was your cost?i mean your system?

My load requirement is 5000kv. I have installed a 6kv Hybrid system with 4 hours of full load battery bank. Its a large setup which gives me self sufficiency in my house. Cost me 1.2 million rupees. I do not need wapda during the day.

Can you give a break up of this cost. Batteries, inverter, panels.

Also during night time solar energy won't be available so in areas of wind corridors ,energy can be harnessed from wind power. Did u do a study on wind power as well?

In Lahore wind power generation is not not possible, besides what I have is enough power available to run my needs and batteries are used for the back-up only in case of Load shedding. Solar panels are from Rs 80 to Rs 110 per watt, Batteries are according to the budget Load requirement and back up time. Last is Inverters, in my case I have 2 inverters to distribute load.

Panels from 80 to 110 rupees per watt, Invertor from 80,000 to 120,000 rupees, Good battery from 10,000 rupees to 40,000 rupees.

Where are the solar pannels made,are they made in china???

Chinese are equally good. In my case they are Sharp made in USA.

@Baig, Excellent topic! and highly appreciate the detail you are sharing. I assume can you share where you bought the whole system so if someone needs, he can buy as well.

Guys I am an Electrical Engineer and in Solar Energy Business myself. Please let me know if you want to install a Solar Energy System for Home or Office.

You can Email me at bilal_ahmed68@hotmail.com

Matrix, please share your experience and recommendations with the fourm. Since you sre in the business, your ideas would benefit every one especially for the equipment and the cost.

Thsnks

Baig Sahib, many thanks for writing on this topic, and sharing the excellent information.

YES Matrix,

share your experience please ,types prices and solar market analysis etc

@ Matrix. Can you tell one thing besides the main topic. Is it so that if one fix DC bulbs and water pumps etc, than losses are minimized and solar equipement has higher efficiency? Can DC equipement be used in home?

Seems there is a lot of interest in this forum for this topic.

Although it is very difficult to elaborate all the technical details for Solar energy systems but I will try to simplify it for you ppl.Pl understand that every system has to be designed as per customised requirement that's why i have given my e mail address for any one interested.

Baig sb is absolutely right that it is the future solution for energy crisis.

My experience is that Hybrid system is best suited for Pakistan as On Grid system cannot be implemented because we do not have reverse metering available by WAPDA , and it will be some time before this system is introduced. Off grid systems are only suitable where no WAPDA is available.

Baig sb system is based on a load of 4000 watts or 4 kw . This is equal to 5 kva or 5000 va. Baig sb is using a system of 6 kva , which is the right way to go considering the losses.

We usually calculate the system by the amount of load which we want to connect. If the max load u want to connect is 4kw than u have to design a system which which has at-least 5000 watt panels.

Price cost roughly is Rs 250 / watt of load u want to run on the Solar system.

@BR Malik.. Yes malik sb dc load will have less losses as inverter losses are avoided, but for that u have to divide your house load into separate ac and dc appliances which is usually not desirable..I would advise that you stick to ac load and use the Solar Inverter/ Controller..