Whether you live in a small or a large apartment, lighting arrangements in it play a key role. If done right, they can give your apartment a contemporary look and spacious feel, regardless of its square footage. So, if you have just moved into an apartment and want to spruce it up a bit, you can redo some of the lighting fixtures in it. To help you pick the right options in this regard, we have put together a list of the best apartment lighting ideas in this blog.
So, let’s get started!
Best Apartment Lighting Ideas for Your Living Space
Now, we’ll discuss the best lighting options for your apartment home and find out how they can make a difference.
- Wall Sconces and Overhead Lighting
- Task Lights
- Ceiling Light Fixtures
- Select the Right Lamp and Light Shades
- Warm Incandescent Lights
Wall Sconces and Overhead Lighting
Sconces can neutralise the harsh impact of light on your eyes. Paired with overhead lights, they can create a perfect balance in your living space. This is why installing them in such an arrangement is considered one of the best apartment lighting ideas.
Wall sconces are available in a variety of shapes and materials. They can have a wide range of applications around your home. You can use them in your bedroom, living room, and vanity area, paired with overhead lights.
On the other hand, overhead lighting may have limited uses. However, the best thing about them is that they can highlight a particular area or spot in your home. They can either be installed in a fixture or can hang freely in the form of pendants.
Quick Fact: Somewhat similar to overhead lights are the undercabinet lighting fixtures. You can install them in your kitchen space to give it an eye-catching appearance. Only two tones of colours are mostly viable for such lighting arrangements: bright white and warm white, also known as soft white.
If you want to improve the functionality and look of your living space, then the option of task lights roll in. It is one of the best options for lighting in a flat. Some task lights come with mobile stands that can be put on tables, trolleys, or countertops.
They are also available in the form of wall-mounted swing arm lights. It is movable and can be adjusted according to your sitting position. These wide options of applications make installation of task lights one of the most viable apartment lighting ideas.
Ceiling Light Fixtures
One of the most important lighting tips for apartments is the correct installation of ceiling lights. Since they are attached to the ceiling, they light up the entire interior of a particular room. Ceiling lights are important for almost every part of apartment homes like the bedroom, living room, and dining room.
In case, you own a larger apartment and you have a hallway, then lighting it up with fancy ceiling fixtures is another way to give your home a contemporary look. They are among the best options for lighting in a flat. On a side note, you can take help from these hallway design ideas to amp up the decor of your home.
There are different types of ceiling light fixtures that you can install in your apartment home. The most common ones among them include chandeliers, fluorescent lights, pendant lights, recessed lighting, and track lighting.
Pro Tip: If you have a vintage interior, then hanging ceiling fixtures as chandeliers and pendants work best for you. On the other hand, installing the track lights around your false ceiling is among the best lighting tips for apartments. You can fix them beside the designed edges of your false ceiling.
Meanwhile, if you want to install a false ceiling in your apartment, then here are some of its major pros and cons.
Lamp and Light Shades
Lampshades, if you prefer installing them, are more than just decorative accents. They can actually make a significant difference in the amount and quality of light getting out of a lamp. Therefore, it is very important for you to pick the right lampshade for your home. They may come in a variety of shapes, materials, and colours. You can work on some amazing lighting ideas for a flat with them
Similar is the case with the light shades available these days. Spider filter and clip-on filter designs are two common designs for lamps and light shades. While choosing shades for the lighting arrangements in your apartment home, make sure you have their measurement.
Measurement of light shades is one of the key tips for lighting a small apartment. If you are choosing a lampshade with a round base, measure it straight across. On the other hand, measure diagonally, if your chosen light shade has a square base.
Warm Incandescent Lights
One of the classics and most preferable types of lights. Incandescent lights can warm up a home interior. They can be ideally used for both vintage and contemporary arrangements. They can be installed with a wide variety of fixtures. This is why they are counted among the best types of lighting for apartments.
Incandescent lights, these days are mostly used for decorative purposes. There are many other energy-efficient lighting options available these days. You can also check our blog in which we have compared LED bulbs with energy savers. This comparison will help you pick the most appropriate option among the two of them.
Coming back to our point of discussion, incandescent lights also work best for small spaces. They give them an elegant look. So, installing incandescent lights is also among the best tips for lighting a small apartment.
For instance, you can install them in your studio or 1-bedroom apartment to amp up your interior’s look. On a side note, if you are interested in knowing about different types of apartments in Pakistan, then read this blog.
In case, you have plans to maintain your apartment, then our next section discusses a few important tips in this regard.
Key Apartment Maintenance Tips
If you want to keep your apartment in an upright condition, you need to properly maintain it.
- Start with inspecting the walls and paints of your apartment. If your walls show signs of seepage or moisture, layer them with damp proof paints. Also, check the exterior walls of your building for any signs of leaks.
- Check the electrical sockets around your apartment home. Make sure that they are all in good condition to avoid any electrical hazards. Here are some key electrical safety tips you should be aware of.
- Along with considering the best lighting options for your apartment home, keep a check on their fixtures. Make sure that they are installed, positioned, and working properly.
- The balcony is another important aspect of your apartment. Decorate it on point. This will help you breathe new life in your living space. Take help from our pick of the best ideas to decorate a small balcony.
- Are there any plumbing leaks? There can be many if you are not taking care of the pipes and draining system running around your home. You may not need to call a plumber every time. Here are some DIY plumbing hacks for you to maintain your home.
- It is also important to check whether there are any rattling doors or windows in your apartment. If you spot them, fix them right away before the weather conditions get unfavourable. Wobbling fixtures around your home may also damage the paint on walls due to friction.
- Fire and home safety are two major concerns, which can never be neglected. You can install a fire alarm system as well as a home security system to keep all these hazards at bay. Living in an apartment complex, you can also ask your next-door neighbours to do the same to avoid any unfavourable circumstances.
Note: Read this blog to learn about these apartment maintenance tips in detail.
These were the best types of lighting for apartments and some important apartment maintenance tips. If you have any queries or feedback related to our blog, feel free to share it with us at email@example.com. We love it when our readers interact with us.
On a side note, here are some more of our blogs discussing different types of lighting fixtures in a home.
- Most popular types of home lighting fixtures in Pakistan
- Types of lighting arrangements for each room in a home
- Best types of outdoor lighting for your home
For more informative home decor and construction pieces, keep reading Zameen Blogs. You can also subscribe to our email newsletter to receive our updates on a regular basis