There are certain things in life you shouldn’t compromise on, such as the health and well-being of your loved ones. But how to ensure that the environment you are living in is safe – especially during a time when the world is grappling with a pandemic? Your family needs protection from germs, bacteria and viruses, which are present everywhere. There is an acute shortage of disinfectants in the market at the moment. How about trying your hand at some natural disinfectants that can sanitise your home and kill all the disease-causing germs?
In this blog, we will be discussing some of the best homemade natural disinfectants that can keep you and your family safe.
Best Homemade Natural Disinfectants
- White Vinegar
- Tea Tree Oil Cleaner for bathrooms
- Disinfectant for kitchen utensils
- Vinegar and baking soda spray
Let us discuss each of these in detail.
It is made of acetic acid and water, which has the properties to thoroughly cleanse a surface. It can reduce the amount of bacteria on a surface considerably. A homemade natural disinfectant: Mix white vinegar and water in equal parts. Pour it in a spray bottle and spray it on ceramic, wood and glass surfaces.
This can kill disease-causing germs and bacteria from hard surfaces. Remember, don’t use the mixture on natural stone like marble or granite as it may cause damage to it.
Some studies say that white vinegar is not as effective as commercial cleaners and there is no evidence that vinegar can kill coronaviruses. Vinegar is a good cleaning agent that removes dirt, grime and grease. According to a study conducted in 1994 by the Journal of Environmental Health, it was found that vinegar had considerably reduced the amount of bacteria on hard surfaces.
The citric acid content in lemons can cut through grease effectively. But did you know that it can also sanitise surfaces and make old copper pots and pans restore their lost shine.
Here’s how you can make your own homemade natural disinfectant: Squeeze in 2 lemons in a glass of water. Strain and store in a spray bottle. Wipe off surfaces using this lemon water. In the same research by the Journal of Environmental Health, lemon is said to reduce the amount of bacteria on any given surface. Also, the scent of the zesty lemon is surely going to deodorize your surroundings with minimum effort!
This is one of the most cost-effective ways of disinfecting your home. All you have to do is take some water and boil it to convert it into steam. When the water is heated to a 200 degree Fahrenheit, it converts into steam which can eliminate tough stains and grease.
Steam the area for about 20 seconds to completely sanitise the room. This can be done especially before the start of an allergy or flu season as it is effective in killing germs, dust mites, bacteria and other pathogens.
Tea Tree Oil Cleaner for bathrooms
This homemade natural disinfectant not only kills bacteria, but it also helps keep your bathroom squeaky clean.
Don’t use hard chemicals that are harmful for your health, but choose these natural alternatives that can clean nasty surfaces and also act as an antibacterial agent. This is how you can make a natural disinfectant cum cleaner at home, especially for bathrooms. Mix the following ingredients.
- ½ cup baking soda
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup liquid detergent
- 2 tbsp hydrogen peroxide
- 10 drops of tea tree essential oil
Combine all these ingredients and store it in a bottle. Squirt the mixture on the toilet bowl. Use a toilet brush to scrub the toilet clean. The tea tree essential oil is a natural disinfectant that is not harmful.
Disinfectant for kitchen utensils
If there are tough stains on kitchen utensils or you want to deep clean and disinfect the dishes you use at home. There is only one solution to it. Boil water in a container. Add some soap flakes or soap vermicelli.
Keep stirring the mixture until it is completely dissolved. Cool down the mixture. Add about 4 tbsp washing soda, 1 tsp glycerin and essential oils of your choice in a squirt bottle and pour the dish washing liquid you prepared into the bottle. You can add any of these essential oils. Tea tree oil, neem oil, patchouli oil or lemon essential oil or any other oil you want. Shake well before use. It can be stored for up to 6 months.
Vinegar and baking soda spray
Another natural disinfectant is to use vinegar and baking soda spray. All you need to do is take a clean bucket, add around 4 cups of hot water, 2 tbsp of baking soda and about ¼ cup of vinegar. Add 2 tbsp of lemon juice into the mixture. Let the mixture cool down completely. Vinegar and baking soda are not effective against COVID-19.
Add a few drops of lemon essential oil and tea tree oil. Transfer the mixture into a spray bottle. Remember this natural disinfectant is not effective against COVID-19. However, it can reduce the amount of germs, bacteria and other pathogens on surfaces. The baking soda also removes tough stains and grease, especially from kitchen countertops and backsplash –which becomes unhygienic if not properly cleansed. The antiseptic properties of lemon essential oil and tea tree essential oil can help kill germs that can cause diseases.
Best Disinfectants that can Kill Coronaviruses
There are three ways you can effectively kill coronavirus or disintegrate it.
- Bleach solution
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Hydrogen Peroxide
Let us discuss these methods of disinfecting your home from coronavirus.
Homemade Disinfectant Prepared Using Household Bleach
A bleach solution is effective in killing the coronavirus germs. However, it is advised to dilute bleach with water. You can’t pour bleach directly onto surfaces, in drain pipes etc. It can damage and discolour surfaces. Handle bleach with care and wear protective rubber gloves to protect yourself from chlorine bleach. Let us take a look at how you can prepare a homemade disinfectant.
- Household bleach is an effective homemade disinfectant that successfully kills coronaviruses and disease-causing bacteria and germs. Recommended by the Centre for Disease Control (CDC), you can make your own bleach solution to disinfect your home from coronavirus.
- Here is how you can make your own disinfectant: Dilute bleach with cold water to make a strong homemade disinfectant that can disintegrate viruses, kill bacteria and remove coronaviruses. Mix ¼ cup of bleach per gallon of cold water. Remember not to mix bleach with any other cleaners as it can produce ammonia, which is a toxic gas. Also, if you are asthmatic, make sure you prepare the bleach solution in a well-ventilated room where there is enough light and air. Clean and disinfect your house using this bleach solution. Store the solution in a spray bottle and spray it on most-frequently touched surfaces like door knobs, doors, windows, handles, laptops and phones etc.
- Another important point to remember is that when you prepare a bleach solution, make sure you prepare a small amount as the efficacy of the solution will diminish after 24 hours.
- Disinfect children’s toys using household bleach. Make sure the plastic toys are soaked in the bleach solution for about 30 seconds. Those hard surfaces or frequently touched objects that won’t be damaged by the bleach solution should be disinfected with it. It is important to prepare a solution in the spray bottle and let the solution sit on the surface for about 20 seconds to effectively kill coronavirus.
- Bleach solution should only be used wearing gloves. Never use bleach on bare hands as it can be very harmful for your delicate skin. There is no chance of using bleach in place of a hand sanitiser as it can harm your skin.
Homemade Disinfectant Prepared Using Alcohol
You can create your own disinfectant at home using rubbing alcohol. But make sure you don’t dilute the alcohol too much as it will lose its efficacy.
- Alcohol in different forms is effective in killing viruses and germs. These include rubbing alcohol which can effectively kill pathogens. You can also make your own homemade sanitiser using the simplest of recipes: 60-70% alcohol, aloe vera gel and a few drops of tea tree essential oils. This sanitiser helps kill germs and coronaviruses.
- Make an alcohol based solution. Take some water and add around 70% of alcohol in it. Shake well and fill it in an air spray bottle. As alcohol evaporates quickly. Make sure you prepare the mixture and store it immediately.
- Use the mixture to spray hard surfaces. Let the alcohol mixture stay on the surface and then wipe it clean. You can disinfect mobile phones, laptops, door knobs and handles using this homemade disinfectant spray.
Homemade Disinfectant Prepared Using Hydrogen Peroxide
A simple yet effective disinfectant is preparing a hydrogen peroxide solution. It effectively disintegrates coronaviruses, making them ineffective completely.
Hydrogen peroxide is typically sold in concentrations of about 3%. You can use it directly without diluting it or maybe dilute it to a 0.5% to effectively use it against coronaviruses on surfaces. Let the solution sit on the surface for at least a minute before you wipe it down.
So, these were some of the best natural disinfectants that you can try at home. You can also check out these home cleaning tips to disinfect your home from coronavirus. Clear out your misconceptions and understand the difference between cleaning, sanitising and disinfecting your home.
If you are looking for more updates, stay tuned to the top lifestyle blog in Pakistan. Don’t forget to write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will surely get back to you. Subscribe to the Zameen Newsletter appearing on the right-hand side of the page.