People wanting to build their dream home on their own are worried about the entire process. From laying the foundation of the house to giving the final finishing touches, it is a laborious task that requires careful planning and budgeting. Moreover, you need superior quality construction materials when building an A+ category house in Pakistan. In the finishing part of the house, imported fancy fixtures are used in the bathrooms and kitchens and best quality tiles are used as flooring. There are other details you need to know. For your convenience, here is a breakdown of the construction cost of an A+ category 1 kanal house in Pakistan.
Let us walk you through the entire budget one step at a time. We will first discuss the costs incurred in laying the foundation of a 1 kanal house.
CONSTRUCTION COST OF THE GREY STRUCTURE OF AN A+ CATEGORY 1 KANAL HOUSE IN 2020
Let us first take a look at the specifications of the house under consideration.
The total covered area of a 1 kanal house is 5,950 sq. ft. The ground floor is of 3,000 per sq. ft. and the first floor is of 2,700 sq. ft. The mumtee is of 250 sq. ft. The house specifications are such as: There are five bedrooms with attached bathrooms, two kitchens, a terrace on the first floor and a mumtee on the second floor.
If you want to calculate the construction cost in Pakistan required to build a 1 kanal residential unit, then continue reading the piece. For this purpose, we will take the help of the covered area mentioned above and determine the quantity of materials used in the grey structure of an A+ category 1 kanal house. Then we shall check out the current market rates of the construction materials.
As mentioned, in building the A+ category houses in Pakistan, you need the best construction material(s). Bricks, sand, cement, electrical wiring, plumbing and safety grills of superior quality are included when calculating the costs.
There is no doubt that a house can not be constructed without a team of reliable labourers. When calculating the construction cost of a house in Pakistan, it is important to first find out the current labour rates.
To calculate the construction cost of an A+ category kanal house in 2020, we will check the rate of labourers. PKR 470 per sq. ft. is the current labour rate in Pakistan. This would take the total amount to around PKR 2,796,500.
Labour Cost = PKR 2,796,500
BRICKS, SAND, CRUSH AND RORI
The covered area of a 1 kanal A+ category house is 5,950 sq. ft. This means you would need approximately 135,000 bricks to lay the house’s foundation. The Awwal category of bricks is of superior quality. It is available at the rate of PKR 14.5 which means that the total cost of bricks would be PKR 1,957,500.
Apart from bricks, high quality sand is also used to lay the foundation of a 1 kanal house in Pakistan.
There are two kinds of sand used in construction. Around 5,250 cubic feet of Ravi sand is used at the rate of PKR 20 per cubic feet. So, a total of PKR 105,000 cubic feet of Ravi sand is used.
The sand of river Chenab has higher rates as it is of better quality. You would however need less amount of Chenab sand to lay the foundation of an A+ category 1 kanal home. Around 2,100 cubic feet of Chenab sand at the rate of PKR 35 is used, taking the total to PKR 73,500.
Crush or gravel is used to make the base structure of floors and roof in the house. You would need approximately 2,200 cubic feet of Margalla lintel which is mostly used in constructing the roof of the house. The rate is PKR 70 per cubic feet which means around PKR 154,000 would be needed.
Sargodha gravel is used in building the floor of the house. 1,200 cubic feet of Sargodha crush would be required to build the grey structure of an A+ category 1 kanal house at a PKR 65 per cubic feet rate. A total of PKR 78,000 Sargodha gravel is required. Rori costs around PKR 65,000.
Cost for Bricks, Sand, Crush and Rori = PKR 2,433,000
CEMENT, KASSU AND REBAR
Kassu is mostly used to fill empty plots and it is a mixture of mitti and sand. Around PKR 200,000 are required for Kassu.
Cement is used in the plastering and many other things during construction. For a 5 marla house, approximately 1,600 cement bags are required at the rate of PKR 550 per bag. The total cost of cement used in the grey structure of a 1 kanal house would be PKR 880,000.
Rebar is also used which is basically Sarya of 60 grade. Around 9 tons or 9,000 kg of Sarya would be used to construct a 1 kanal house in 2020. The rate per ton of Sarya is PKR 125 and the total cost of Sarya used would be PKR 1,125,000.
Cost of Cement, Kassu and Rebar = PKR 2,205,000
PLUMBING AND WIRING
When building an A+ category house, the best quality plumbing systems are used in the house. This requires less maintenance and repair costs.
Besides plumbing, you also need to set up electrical wiring in the house. PKR 210,000 will be required to install the gas, drainage pipes and other plumbing systems in an A+ category 1 kanal house. Remember, you would need to hire a plumber to do the job for you.
An electrician will place electric wires around the house at appropriate places. This will cost you approximately PKR 285,000.
Cost of Plumbing & Wiring = PKR 495,000
GRILLS AND GATE
Apart from installing plumbing and electric systems into the 1 kanal residential unit, you will also need to install safety grills and the main gate in the house. Safety grills of PKR 250 per sq. ft. is needed to build an A+ category 1 kanal house. The total cost of grills would be PKR 175,000. Building the main gate’s framework is also included in the costs. You would need PKR 150,000 in the installation of a gate.
Cost of Grills and Gate = PKR 325,000
An overhead water tank is also a part of the grey structure costs. PKR 25,000 is needed to build a water tank.
FMC Biflex Termite spray is also equally important to control termite infestation which can eat away the foundations of a house making them weak. Approximately PKR 55,000 is needed to construct the overhead tank.
To control termite infestation you would need approximately PKR 55,000 for the chemical spray. Bitumen helps in making the building waterproof and it would cost you PKR 20,000. Membrane sheets are also used to help waterproof the roof in PKR 12,000.
Cost of miscellaneous items = PKR 112,000
Construction Cost of the Grey Structure of an A+ 10 Marla House in 2020 = PKR 8,366,500
FINISHING COST OF AN A+ CATEGORY 1 KANAL HOUSE IN 2020
As shown in the detailed infographic above, there are many construction jobs involved in the finishing of a 1 kanal house – A+ category. Please note the sub-totals for different categories have been highlighted in the infographic. You can find the details of these figures under different headings below.
People constructing a 1 kanal house in 2020 go for stylish tiles to decorate the flooring of the house. Good quality Master tiles are preferred in high-end houses such as the A+ category ones in Pakistan. Here is a breakdown of the tiles used in the house.
- 465 Master tiles at the rate of PKR 4,200 per sq. mtr. are used in the house flooring. Remember, this does not include the garage, terrace and bathroom tiles. The total cost in the flooring, excluding the above-mentioned tiles would be PKR 1,953,000
- You need 140 Spanish tiles to lay the bathroom flooring. The rate of the tiles is a bit higher i.e. of PKR 4,500 sq. mtr. which would bring the total cost to build the bathroom’s flooring to PKR 630,000.
- You would need 75 Master tiles at the rate of PKR 2,100 per sq. mtr. The total cost incurred in laying the floor of the terrace of a 1 kanal home would be around PKR 44,000
- In building the car porch or garage you would need 70 imported tiles at the rate of PKR 2,500 per sq. mtr. making the total cost to be PKR 175,000
- An expert professional can help lay out the floor in a house. The cutting and pasting of tiles requires a certain expertise. The cost to hire labourers for tiles would be PKR 425,000
- The cost for windows Dale would be PKR 65,000
- PKR 162,500 would be needed to build the marble staircase of the house. You would need PKR 50,000 in the kitchen countertop and shelves.
Cost for Tiles and Marble = PKR 3,618,000
The 1 kanal house plan also suggests placement of electrical components around the house. These electrical components comprise breakers, switchboards, lights, chandeliers, placement of fans. None of these tasks can be done without hiring an electrician. Let us take a look at the costs incurred in placing electrical components around the house.
- Installing lights, lamps and chandeliers of imported A+ quality would you cost around PKR 450,000
- You would need around 35 metalite switchboards and push buttons at the rate of PKR 1,500. These would be a bit fancy and therefore the higher rates. A total of PKR 52,500 would be needed in installing the 35 switchboards
- Around 35 power plugs and sockets are used at the rate of PKR 950 which will take the total to PKR 33,250
- 14 Royal and GFC fans in total, costing around PKR 12,500 per unit, would be used. This means a total budget of PKR 175,000 should be reserved for installing fans
- You would need at least 8 GFC exhaust fans in the house. Five of them will be installed in the bathrooms and two in the kitchen. One exhaust fan would cost you PKR 3,000 making a total of PKR 17,500. Shenieder Breakers of PKR 24,000 are also required.
- Schneider breakers would cost you around PKR 100,000
- An electrician would be needed to carry out the above-mentioned tasks. He would need PKR 60,000.
Cost for Electrical components = PKR 894,750
KITCHEN & BATH ACCESSORIES
Kitchen is built on contemporary and modern lines for an A+ category house in Pakistan A complete modern kitchen would cost you PKR 425,000 and since there are 2 kitchens, you would need PKR 850,000. Kitchen would include a sink and range hood. Plate rack, spice rack and cutlery tray are also included in the above-mentioned cost.
To calculate the construction cost of an A+ category 1 kanal house, you will need to find out how much it would cost to build a stylish bathroom. Many modern accessories and imported sanitary fittings would go into it.
- Three Porta/Marachi counter-vanity sets would be placed at the rate of PKR 9,000. The total cost of the vanity sets would be PKR 27,000
- You’ll need three Porta or Marachi built-in vanity cabins at the rate of PKR 30,000. This would take the total cost to PKR 90,000
- Three Porta/Marachi commodes of PKR 15,000 will be used taking the total to PKR 45,000
- Three wall-mounted commodes of Grohe brand would be installed in three of the bathrooms. PKR 42,000 would be needed for one wall-hanging. A total of PKR 126,000 would be required for installing the commodes
- Five Italian bath sets would be installed at the rate of PKR 35,000. This means a total of PKR 175,000 would be needed to construct a fancy washroom
- Five Italian bath hangings would be used. One bath hanging would cost PKR 12,500, taking the total to PKR 62,500
- For a fancy and modern bathroom, Jacuzzi is installed. 2 Jacuzzis of PKR 250,000 each would be installed. It would cost you PKR 500,000
- 3 glass shower cabins of PKR 50,000 each would be installed which will cost you PKR 150,000
- The cost to hire a plumber for all the above-mentioned tasks would be PKR 80,000
Cost for Kitchen & Bath Accessories = PKR 850,000+ 1,255,500 = 2,105,500
PAINT AND CEILING
Painting a house is an intricate job and requires the help of a professional painter. You need to apply several coats of the desired colour to achieve the best look. The covered area of your ceiling is 5,575. PKR 75 per sq. mtr. would be charged for the false ceiling. It would cost you PKR 418,125.
For the exterior, rockwall is mostly used. In rockwall, marble chips are used. First the wall is plastered and cleaned, then the base coat using acrylic and white sand is applied. The base coat is very important as it strengthens the walls. The total cost in the rockwall is PKR 450,000.
The cost to paint the entire house would be PKR 950,000.
Cost for Paint and Ceiling = 1,818,125
WINDOWS AND MIRRORS
To calculate the cost of an A+ category 1 kanal house in Pakistan, installation of windows and mirrors is also included. Double-glazed and powder coated windows are used, which would cost you PKR 985,000. Mirrors in the house would cost you PKR 125,000. For the staircase, railings are needed; for that you’d need to shell out around PKR 200,000.
Cost of Windows and Mirrors = PKR 1,310,000
Ashwood door frames would be used in the house. The cost incurred in installing doors would be PKR 900,000.
Imported built-in-wardrobes will be installed in the house costing you PKR 635,000. A high gloss LCD rack is also included in woodworks. You need to keep a budget of PKR 225,000 for it. Brass door handles of PKR 65,000 are placed in houses.
Cost for Woodwork = PKR 1,825,000
You can also add bright wallpaper to the house, which will cost you PKR 250,000. There will be CCTV cameras installed in the house to ensure the security of the inhabitants. Central air conditioning would be done in the house, which would cost you PKR 750,000. For added security, a smart remote-controlled gate would be installed for which you need to shell out PKR 125,000.
Cost for Miscellaneous Items = PKR 1,170,000
Total cost in the finishing of an A+ category 1 kanal house = PKR 11,485,875
That sums up the complete construction cost of an A+ category of a 1 kanal house. Let us combine the grey structure costs and the finishing costs to get the final budget for an A+ category 1 kanal house in Pakistan.
Total construction cost of a 1 kanal house in 2020 = PKR 8,366,500 + PKR 11,485,875
= PKR 19,852,375
So, this is how PKR 19,852,375 would be the complete construction cost of an A+ category 1 kanal house in 2020.
It’s important to remember the rates mentioned above are applicable in case someone decides to build a house in Pakistan on their own. If you hire a contractor to construct your house, then you will end up with a higher estimate than the one mentioned above, as the contractor will see the entire project, procure the building material and ensure everything is completed on time. Therefore, the construction cost of building an A+ category 1 kanal house through a contractor will vary, as per the agreement between the contractor and the owner.
For more updates and construction trends, stay tuned to the most reliable property and construction blog in Pakistan. You can also check out the complete construction cost of an A category 1 kanal unit. If you are planning to build a 5 and 10 marla house, then take a look at the construction cost of an A+ category 5 marla and 10 marla house.
For those who are looking to buy land before building a house, then choose your area from these major cities in Pakistan: Lahore, Karachi, Islamabad, Multan. Do share your feedback with us on firstname.lastname@example.org. Don’t forget to subscribe to the Zameen Newsletter appearing on the right hand side of the page. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram.
Note: The rates quoted in this article are from June 2020. The rates in the article have been sourced from Mr. Kashif Mehmood, CEO of Alpha Construction Company. He is available at 0310-4811578