Do you need to apply for a driving license in Islamabad? There are a few things you should know before you get started. You need to apply for a learner’s permit, which is issued by ITP (Islamabad Traffic Police). All new drivers must complete the obligatory training period of 6 weeks before they could apply for a regular license.
Things to Consider when Applying for a Driving License in Islamabad
Like every driving license office in Pakistan, ITP offices are also heavily crowded. Make sure you arrive early at the office since it can take several hours before the officials see you. You should also have all the necessary things and paperwork to get the learner’s license in the first visit. According to ITP representatives, almost 500-600 applicants visit the ITP office every day to apply for driving licenses. On average, the office issues around 150 licenses every day.
Inaugurated by then-Prime Minister of Pakistan Shaukat Aziz, ITP Islamabad was established in 2006. Since then, ITP has been working to ensure a smooth traffic control system in the capital city. Moreover, ITP will only issue Islamabad driving license to applicants who have Islamabad addresses on their computerized NIC’s.
For all applicants belonging to other districts, an affidavit from their relatives from Islamabad to represent that the signatory has taken the applicant’s responsibility is compulsory. An employer in the federal capital can also confirm about his employees from other districts, through a similar document. Such individuals holding card of their office in Islamabad or affidavits of their department within the city can apply for a driving license.
Now, let us take a look at all the steps you must take for getting a learner’s permit and a permanent driving license in Islamabad.
According to the official website of ITP, here is the fee schedule of driving license which you must deposit in National Bank.
- Fee for learner’s permit valid for six months (each category): PKR 300
- Fee for Professional License (M. Cycle + LTV/HTV or PSV): PKR 1500
- Fee for issue of Professional License (single category): PKR 1200
- Fee for issue of Non Professional License (Motor cycle or Motor cycle + M. Car/Jeep): PKR 1200
- Urgent Card Printing Fee (not including other prescribed fee): PKR 400
- Driving Test Fee: PKR 200
- Digital Driving License Card Fee: PKR 400
Where to go?
Islamabad Traffic Police Headquarters
- Address: 9th Ave, F 8/1 F-8, Islamabad, 44220, Pakistan
- Working Hours: Monday to Thursday: 8AM–1:15PM, 2–5PM
- Saturday and Sunday: Closed
Documents you should take
- Original NIC (Your permanent or temporary address should be of Islamabad)
- Photocopy of your NIC
- Medical Fitness Certificate or Form B (which you can download from the ITP website). Make sure a registered medical practitioner fills this form. You will also need to place a passport size photograph on this form.
How to Get a Learner’s Permit in Islamabad?
- The applicant must visit the Islamabad Traffic Police office himself. The office is located at F-8, Islamabad. Remember to keep your medical certificate.
- Park your vehicle across the street no. 32. Show your NIC at the reception counter adjacent to the parking area and get a token from the QMS.
- Wait in the hall for your turn. As soon as your token number arrives, you will be called at the respective counter for entering your information and credentials. Double-check all info to make sure all information is correct.
- Once you enter all the required information, you will receive a learner’s permit following which you will have to take an hour long road safety awareness class.
- At the end of the class, the instructor will stamp and sign the back of your learner’s permit license.
- After 42 days of the issuance of this permit, visit the Islamabad Traffic Police office again to complete the Islamabad Traffic Police driving test. All applicants must bring their own vehicles for the test.
How to Get a Permanent Driving License in Islamabad?
Upon completion of the ITP traffic signs test and the driving test, you will be issued a permanent Islamabad driving license for a period of 5 years. Here are the steps to follow:
- After the 42-day period of the issuance of the learner’s permit, the applicant has to visit the ITP office again.
- You must take your original NIC and your learner’s permit as well as their copies — at least three of each. Get your token by showing your original NIC at the reception counter adjacent to the parking area.
- Wait for your turn in the hall. Once your token number arrives, you will be called at the respective counter. Then, the computer will save your picture and finger-prints on the system.
- Obtain the test form and keep the photocopies of your NIC and learner’s permit with you.
- For all applicants, who want to give their theoretical test through touch screen, should go to the theory touch screen test room.
Theory Test via Touch Screen
- Applicants can give the theoretical test for road signs through touch screen as well. The time duration for test is 4 minutes.
- Applicants have to answer 10 questions, each of 10 points.
- If you manage to get 70 points (or 7/10 questions), you successfully pass the theoretical test.
- Applicants can also pass the test manually at the ITP office.
All applicants who have passed the road sign test will also need to pass the driving test, conducted in the traffic theme park. Once you pass the test, you need to submit the form to the licensing inspector’s office. From here, you will receive a license no. slip. On this slip, the date on which you are going to obtain your license is mentioned. You can receive your receive your license on the assigned date, from the delivery counter.
Applicants can pay all charges and additional fee amounts through National Bank of Pakistan, a branch of which is located inside the Islamabad Traffic Police office.
Now you Can Get your Islamabad Driving License in a Day!
As of January 2019, the citizens of the capital city can get a driving license in Islamabad within a day, delivered to them on normal fees. This announcement was made by Minister of State for Interior, Shehryar Afridi. He further added that the government is moving towards the digitization of all official processes to ensure a quick and transparent Islamabad driving licence verification system.
The minister also thanked the INL (International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs) for providing the machine that would produce multiple licenses in just a single day. He stressed on the importance of taking effective measures to ensure that nobody bypasses the law and all citizens are treated fairly.