Updated: Jun 22, 2022
Inspector General (IG) Police Islamabad issued an order which came into effect on Jun 21, 2022 regarding the vehicles causing environmental pollution. According to the order, vehicles emitting smoke will be banned from entering the federal capital territory. The order also extends to the vehicles using pressure horns.
The campaign will be carried out with the help of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and an awareness campaign on social media platforms will also be launched to inform the general public. The traffic police department has taken this step to discourage such vehicles which are unfit for roads and are detrimental to the environment.
A special enforcement squad has also been deployed on major roads to inform motor vehicle users about this new development. Among others, these roads also include Islamabad Expressway, IJP Road and Srinagar Highway. A vehicle fitness certificate will also be issued to the vehicles and assistance from a motor vehicle examiner will also be sought if needed.
The efficiency and effectiveness of traffic police in a city ensures people’s safety on roads and reduces road accidents and if the city is the federal capital, the role of the traffic police is greatly enhanced. Islamabad Traffic Police was established on 28th January 2006. Since its inception, it has evolved into a responsible organisation with numerous features to facilitate the general public. There are different roles and responsibilities of traffic police in Islamabad, which we will discuss in this blog.
Roles and Responsibilities of Islamabad Traffic Police
The digitized systems of Islamabad Traffic Police have made it easier for the people to apply for a driving license, pay the digital challan or seek information regarding the latest traffic updates in Islamabad. Here are some of the most important roles and responsibilities of the Islamabad Traffic Police.
- Driving Learner Permit
- Regular Driving License
- License Verification NOC
- Pay Digital Challan
Let us discuss these in more detail.
Driving Learner Permit
In order to apply for a regular driving license, you need to first get a learner’s permit, which is issued by the ITP office. All new drivers must complete their training period of 6 weeks before they could get a traffic license. It is important that you are a resident of Islamabad as ITP will only issue the driving license to applicants who have Islamabad addresses on their computerised NICs. If the applicant belongs to another district, then he/she needs to submit an affidavit from relatives living in Islamabad to show that the signatory has taken the responsibility of the applicant. Moreover, an employer from Islamabad can confirm for his employees belonging to other districts through a similar document.
For your convenience, we will state the steps for getting a learner’s permit in Islamabad. However, we have comprehensively covered this bit of information in our previous blog: How to get a driving license in Islamabad?
- The applicant must visit the Islamabad Traffic Police office in person. The office is located at F-8, Islamabad. Don’t forget to keep your medical certificate with you.
- Show your NIC at the reception adjacent to the parking area and get a token from the QMS.
- Wait for your turn at the One Window Hall. As soon as your token number arrives, you will be called at the respective counter so that you can enter your information and credentials. Double-check all info to make sure it is correct.
- Once you enter all the required information, you will receive a learner’s permit
- Later, you will be asked to take a road safety awareness class.
- At the end of this class, the instructor will then officially stamp and sign the back of your learner’s permit license.
- After a period of 42 days, visit the Islamabad Traffic Police office again to complete the Islamabad Traffic Police driving test. All applicants must bring their own vehicles for the test.
Regular Driving License
Once you have completed the traffic signs test and the driving license test, you will be issued a permanent Islamabad driving license for a period of 5 years. You will have to follow these steps to obtain a driving license.
- Once the 42-day period is over after obtaining the learner’s permit, the applicant has to visit the ITP office again.
- Don’t forget to bring your original NIC and your learner’s permit as well as their copies — at least three of each. Get the token by showing your original NIC at the reception counter
- Wait for your turn in the One Window Hall. Once your token number arrives, you will be called at the respective counter. Then, the computer will save your picture and finger-prints on the system.
- Obtain the test form and keep the photocopies of your NIC and learner’s permit with you.
- For all applicants, who want to give their theoretical test through touch screen, should go to the theory touch screen test room.
License Verification NOC
You can verify your license online through the Islamabad Traffic Police website. All you have to do is visit the website and enter your CNIC without dashes. Make sure you fill all the information correctly. Don’t autotype the dates, instead choose it from the calendar. In case of any problem, email at info@email@example.com. If the online system gives any error, please try again after an hour. All queries will be handled during the working hours from Monday to Friday between 9 AM to 5 PM.
Pay Digital Challan
Paying your challan has become quite easy. Find your nearest digital challan payment. Pay only at authorized JCash collection points mentioned on the website under the tab ‘Pay Digital Challan’ and pay only a fixed amount of PKR 25 as service charges. You can also find out about the Islamabad Traffic Police license offices through the website.
Achievements of Islamabad Traffic Police
Islamabad Traffic Police has been working day and night to maintain a smooth flow of traffic, zero road accidents and to ensure road safety practices. Some of the major achievements of Islamabad Traffic Police are mentioned below:
- ITP ensures that nobody stays above the law. A fine is issued for anyone disobeying traffic rules and laws, irrespective of their official position and designation.
- Various traffic education campaigns led by Islamabad Traffic Police has brought about a positive change in the residents who now know the importance of obeying traffic rules. Since one of the major objectives of ITP is to emphasize and concentrate mainly on traffic education to maintain road discipline, a traffic education team has been created exclusively for this purpose. To help deliver the message, the traffic education team has devised a comprehensive programme to educate school and college going children and various drivers working in multinational organisations, owners of public transport, people driving private vehicles and workers of government and non-government organisations
- A Traffic Theme Park has been established to train young minds of school children and to raise awareness among them regarding traffic violation
- To facilitate general public and take immediate action against traffic violators, a helpline for Islamabad Traffic Police is established on 1915, which immediately receives the complaints and conveys it to the respective traffic police officers who then take appropriate action within the shortest possible time
- There is a special police task force designated to check certain traffic rule violations such as one wheeling, crossing the speed limit while driving and ignoring the traffic signal rules
- In a first, the Islamabad Traffic Police now issues digital driving licenses according to international standards. The procedure for obtaining the digital license is transparent and accurate. The photo of the applicant is taken inside the traffic office, whereas the medical examination and other pre-requisites of acquiring a license are carried out within the office premises of the Islamabad Traffic Police
- The Islamabad Traffic Police has also minimised traffic congestions through modifications in roads on different crossings with the help of the Capital Development Authority. This has reduced the traffic bottlenecks and improved the flow of traffic
- As a result, the ITP has succeeded in making a visible difference in terms of increased use of helmet by motorcyclists, better lane discipline followed by each road user, increased use of seat belts, decreased use of mobile phones while driving and decreased over speeding
- One of the major achievements of Islamabad Traffic Police as mentioned on their website is that “ITP has been the only police organization in 2009 to have its own ITP FM-92.4 Radio Station and ISO 9001:2008 certification of quality policing services – two rare distinctions for any police organization in South Asia.”
So, this was a quick overview of Islamabad Traffic Police. If you live in the City of Lights or in the City of Gardens, then do check out how you can apply for a driving license in Karachi and Lahore. Don’t forget to write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will surely get back to you. Subscribe to the Zameen Newsletter appearing on the right hand side of the page. Stay tuned to Zameen Blog, the best real estate blog in Pakistan.