UPDATE (Feb. 23, 2021): You can now get a computerized driving license in Lahore quite easily, thanks to the efforts of Lahore Traffic Police. The new system has reportedly been introduced to cut down on long queues and waiting time.
Of the three Lahore Traffic Police centres in Lahore, in Manawan, at Arfa Karim Tower and in DHA Lahore, the one in DHA has been updated, with the help of Punjab Information Technology Board (PITB).
Process of Getting Computerized Driving License in Lahore
In order to facilitate users, the Lahore Traffic Police have divided the process of getting a computerized license into two phases:
- You have to get a token number
- The candidate has to get their photo for the license taken
- Take a computerized multiple-choice and theoretical test
- The first step of Phase-II of the process of getting a computerized driving license in Lahore is an on-road driving test
- If the candidate passes the test, they are eligible for getting a driving license
- If they fail the test, they can retake the test after 42 days
Previously, the test used to be difficult, however, in light of the new changes the candidate reportedly only only needs to secure 50% marks in the computerized test.
Gone are the days when people had to wait in long queues to get their driving license in Lahore. A new automated process has been introduced by the Driving License Issuance and Management System (DLIMS) with the assistance of Pakistan Information Technology Board (PITB). This system is facilitating citizens to apply for a driving license in Lahore online. This facility can be accessed by the citizens in 36 districts of Pakistan, some of which are Sialkot, Chakwal, Vehari, Pakpattan, and Attock.
Thanks to the latest technology, mainly in the form of automation, the process of obtaining a permit from the driving license department in Lahore has become quite easy. At first, you need to need to get your learner’s license in Lahore. It is issued by different driving license centers in Punjab and you can also apply online through DLIMS. All new drivers should first train for a period of 42 days, almost 6 weeks, before they can get a license.
Things to consider when applying for driving license in Lahore
First things first: when you visit the driving license center in Lahore, make sure you arrive early. Nonetheless, the government officials would take some time when they finally see you. Be prepared for delays. It’s better to cancel out on all your important appointments for the day because it’s impossible to tell how long the process might take. It mainly depends on the number of people at the office. Bring your documents and photographs along so that you get your learner’s license in the first visit only. The age limit to get your learner’s license is 18 years and the validity is 6 months only. If this permit gets expired, you will have to apply again for the learner’s license before applying for the permanent one. Here are the documents you should bring:
Following are the required documents for learner’s license in Lahore, as per DLIMS:
- A copy of CNIC
- A PKR 60 ticket from any post office
- From traffic police office get a code book of traffic regulations
- Medical certificate required for the candidates of 50 years or more
Among other requirements for driving license in Lahore, it is important that you are a resident of the city. Although, through DLIMS, the government of Punjab has centralized the procedure of issuing driving license in the province’s 36 districts, you can’t apply for a driving license from any district of Punjab. For instance, if you are looking to apply for a driving license from Lahore, the CNIC should state the temporary or permanent address as that of Lahore or else you will have to go to the licensing center in the district where you reside.
Here’s how you can apply for driving license in Lahore online
- You can directly download the form from the DLIMS website and after filling it, submit it along with the relevant documents at respective driving license centers.
- The applicant will appear for a driving license test
- After passing the test, the applicant will receive his driving license
Required documents for permanent driving license in Lahore
- Application Form A
- Original learner’s permit of at least 6 weeks.
- Medical certificate
- 3 attested passport size fresh photographs
- An attested copy of CNIC
- Paste the fees ticket on the document
Documents required for International driving license in Lahore
If you are looking for an international driving license in Lahore then the following documents are required:
- Required International Application Form
- A copy of CNIC
- A copy of driving license
- A copy of valid Pakistani passport along with visa
- 2 attested passport size photographs
- Ticket of court fees of only PKR 66
- Bank challan fees is of PKR 450
In case your driving license has expired and you are looking for a way to renew it, then you will have to pay a fee of PKR 750. Even if you own a motorcycle, renewal of driving license requires a fee of PKR 500. It is renewed for a period of five years.
For the renewal of driving license, you need to submit the following documents.
Documents required for the renewal of driving license in Lahore
- Fill out Application Form E
- 2 passport size photographs
- A copy of your CNIC
- Original Driving License
- Medical Report
Renewal fees according to the category
- If you are the owner of a motorcycle or a rickshaw, it will be PKR 500.
- For car, tractor commercial and LTV (PSV) the fees will be PKR 750
- For the vehicle HTV (PSC), the fees will be PKR 1000
Driving License Test
So, once you have submitted the forms, you need to take a driving license test in Lahore. You need to memorize a set of traffic rules and traffic signs. This is a bit tricky. When you pass the initial board test, you are then asked to drive a car on a track determined by the official. If you are successful in driving the car on the given track, you can then get your permanent driving license.
Driving License Centers in Lahore
There are quite a few driving license centers in Lahore.
- Driving License Center DHA Lahore is in K-94 Commercial Block, Ghazi Rd, Sector K, DHA-Phase 1. Contact: (042) 35777268
- Driving License Center Office Traffic Police is in Liberty Market Gulberg III. Contact: (042) 35712030
- Learner & Driving License Renewal Branch is in DSP Iqbal Town Office. Contact: 0303-1314455
- Arfa Karim driving center is in ARFA Tower, Ferozepur Road, Nishter Town. Contact: (042) 35918241
- Driving License Test Center is in Gopi Rai, Lahore. Contact: (042) 37511226
All these driving license centers in Lahore are usually open from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
How to Make an Online Appointment for Driving License in Lahore With Rasta App
Punjab Information Technology Board (PITB) in collaboration with the City Traffic Police Lahore (CTPL) has an initiative in place called Rasta App that facilitates in applying for a driving license in Lahore. It provides commuters in the city with live traffic updates that will help the authorities to significantly reduce traffic congestion, especially during peak hours. Other online services provided by the app include e-challan and online traffic-related complaint registration.
Moreover, you can also make an appointment for a driver’s license in Lahore via Rasta App. Wondering how? Take a look at the below-given step-by-step process:
- Download Rasta App on your mobile via Apple App Store or Google Play Store, depending on your phone’s operating system
- Upon opening the application, click on the option of “Schedule Appointment”.
- You’ll be directed to a page from where you can select from multiple options, depending on your requirement. For example, if you are applying for a permanent driving license, you need to click on “Driving Test Appointment”. Other options such as license renewal, international driving permit, and duplicate license issuance are also available as per your requirement.
- On the next screen, a form will be shown. You have to fill it out with your CNIC number, select your desired license type and location of your nearest license centre as well as the date and time of your visit.
- Click on the “Submit” button.
- Once the process is completed, you’ll get a text message from the Driving License Issuance and Management System (DLIMS) confirming your appointment in your selected time slot.
So, this is all the information related to driving license in Lahore. If you are living in other parts of the country, you can check out the process of acquiring driving license in Karachi and in Islamabad. Stay tuned for more information and useful tips via the best lifestyle blog in Pakistan.