Bright-coloured loose clothes, caps, sun shades, and plenty of liquids; these are some must-haves things to power through the scorching summers in Pakistan. The liquid part is more crucial than others since you are continually sweating away vital minerals during the season. We’ve compiled a refreshing mix of summer drinks that will keep you cool and beat the heat. Who can forget the summer of 2015, when Pakistan mourned the loss of 1,200 souls due to an extreme heatwave?
Your water bottle can get the job of hydrating you done, but drinking water all on its own — well — it’s a little uninteresting at times.
And what about the times when you need something a little more flavourful than plain ol’ water? Here is a list of seasonal and delicious summer drinks. These rad recipes of summer drinks are perfect for the season and fun to make. Keep scrolling to see what we’ve scoured.
Top 8 Drinks to Keep You Cool This Summer
- Falsa Sherbat
- Sattu Sherbat
- Mango Juice
- Iced Tea
- Cold Coffee
- Coconut Water
- Fruit Smoothies
Falsa itself is consumed for its cooling effects in summer as well as for its other health benefits. The fruit also offers radiation protection which is a plus. Falsa is a good source of Vitamin-C, and its juice is possibly the best tasting and the most refreshing drink we can sip during the burning summers.
How to Make Falsa Sherbat
- Falsa (1 cup)
- Water (1/2 cup)
- Black salt (according to your taste)
- Sugar (two teaspoons)
- Lemon juice (1 small lemon)
- Salt (according to your taste)
- Ice cubes
- First wash and drain the falsa, sprinkle a little table salt and leave them for half an hour.
- Take the blender and blend all the ingredients mentioned above. Pour it into a container and add some crushed ice cubes.
- Add a few leaves of mint to elevate the taste further.
This summer drink is known for its cooling properties. Sattu is rich in protein, fibre, calcium, iron, and magnesium. The Sherbat is excellent for digestion, makes your skin glow, helps in weight loss and fights numerous diseases.
How to Make Sattu Sherbat
- Chana Sattu (1/2 cup)
- Chilled water (4 cups)
- Lemon juice (2 teaspoons)
- Roasted Cumin powder (Half teaspoon)
- Mint leaves (2 teaspoons chopped)
- Black salt (to taste)
- Green chilli (1 chopped)
- Ice cubes
- Add all ingredients in a jug and mix well.
- Serve in glasses with some ice cubes.
- Garnish with mint leaves.
Our list of best drinks to keep you cool this summer couldn’t be complete without the king of all fruits being mentioned on it. Summer is the only time when you can enjoy fresh home-made mango juice.
How to Make Mango Juice
- Ripe mangoes (2)
- Chilled Water (1 cup)
- Sugar (as per your taste)
- Ice cubes
- Peel and cut the mangoes into small pieces.
- Blend them with water and sugar.
- Run the mixture through a sieve.
- Add ice cubes and serve chilled.
After water, tea is the most commonly consumed beverage in the world, especially Pakistan. Iced tea can reduce the risk of heart diseases, keeps you hydrated, and contains many antioxidants. In warmer weather, having your tea iced is a great way to acquire the same benefits all year round.
How to Make Iced Tea
- Water (2 cups)
- Tea bags ( flavoured as per your choice)
- Ice cube
- Lemon juice ( 1 small cup)
- Sugar ( 1 teaspoon)
- Bring two cups of water to boil.
- Pour two tea bags of your choice into water. Brew it light or strong as per your liking.
- Now, remove the tea bags and sweeten to taste.
- Throw some ice cubes or refrigerate it.
Often known as the oldest smoothie in the world, lassi is a healing and refreshing drink made from yogurt, water, and different spices. Apart from being a refreshing summer drink, this oh-so-satisfying drink has many benefits. It is full of probiotics, which means it is good for digestion and has a lot of essential nutrients including proteins, calcium, and potassium.
All these refreshing summer drinks recipes got you thinking about the food, isn’t it? We have you covered; Check out the list of food that can keep you cool this summer.
How to Make Lassi
- Chilled curd (2 cups)
- Milk (2 cups)
- Water (½ cup)
- Sugar ( as per your taste)
- Ice cubes
- Chopped dry fruits (optional)
- Mix the curd till it becomes smooth.
- Add chilled water and milk to reach the consistency you like.
- Add sugar/salt to it.
- Top it off with some rose petals or chopped dry fruit (optional).
People around the globe swear on coffee and how it’s the only thing capable of waking them up in the morning. But in summers, a hot cup of coffee can be a little too much for your body. So, a cup of cold coffee could be the perfect combination of something delicious and icy, while having the same potential of keeping your alert.
How to Make Cold Coffee
- Milk (2 cups)
- Coffee (2 teaspoons)
- Fresh cream (2 tablespoons)
- Honey (1 teaspoon)
- Vanilla ice cream (2 tablespoons)
- Ice cubes
- Put ice cubes in the blender, and add coffee, milk, honey, cream and about two tablespoons of ice cream.
- Blend it, take some ice cubes and then pour it in glasses.
- Put a scoop of vanilla (optional).
It may be the healthiest natural drink you can have on a hot summer day. It forms naturally in the fruit and contains 94% water and very little fat. Coconut water is a lot more than just a dose of electrolytes and sugar. It is an excellent source of several nutrients and contains many antioxidants. You can buy it from stalls. It is also readily available in stores as well. Just be sure to avoid products with added sugar.
Smoothies can serve as a cold, creamy, delicious meal-in-a-glass on a hot summer day. Since smoothies are full of fresh fruits and sometimes vegetable, the options are endless. Our recipe contains fruit juice or honey to up the pleasantness, but if you’re looking to cut added sugar from your diet, you can nix those ingredients.
How to Make Fruit smoothies
- Banana (sliced)
- Yogurt (2 cups)
- Honey ( 1 tablespoon)
- Ginger (optional)
- Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until it becomes smooth and creamy. Add ice depending on temperature preference.
- Frozen bananas work best in smoothies. Peel, slice in half, and place in a large Ziploc bag in the freezer overnight.
- Add more vegetables and other fruits to increase nutritional benefits.
Now that you’re armed with a list of summer drinks to keep you cool, we’re sure you’d be able to keep your taste buds happy and satisfied. Anyway, cheers and happy hydration!
Have a secret recipe to share with our readers? Add them to our comments section below.