The selection of a place to live in is one of the most crucial decisions you make in your life. Ideally, you want your home to be secure, peaceful and close to different kinds of facilities. However, owing to constantly increasing real estate value, people have now been left with very limited choices when it comes to buying a home according to their budget and requirements, especially near the city centre. This is one of the major reasons why homebuyers these days are looking for properties in the suburbs of the city they live in, where there are more affordable property options available compared to those in urban centres. International airports in Pakistan are also found in the peripheries of their host cities. They are now surrounded by more residential developments than ever, mainly due to the shifting interest of property buyers. So, if you have also found a property in proximity to the airport, which fits all your requirements, then you’ve landed on the right page. In this blog, we will discuss some pros and cons of living near an airport that will help you make an informed decision.
Pros and Cons of Living Near An Airport
So, let’s learn more about some of the major benefits and drawbacks of buying a home near an airport.
Pros of Living Near An Airport
We’ll begin by listing the upsides first.
- Traffic-free Road Links: One of the biggest pros of living near an airport is that you’ll be facing fewer traffic congestions. Airports are usually linked to the main cities by freeways, which also benefits the commuters living in the surrounding societies. Using signal-free corridors on a daily basis reduces the time it takes for you to travel to work and vice versa, significantly adding to your convenience as a commuter
- Affordability: As we said earlier, housing societies in proximity to the airport are technically located on the outskirts of the city, where real estate value is usually lower than urban centres. This factor significantly contributes to affordability when it comes to buying a home near an airport, which means your chances of closing a cost-effective deal on a house matching your requirements increase
- Profitable Returns on Investments: In recent years, airports have become one of the major attractions for retail and commercial sectors in our country. This has resulted in escalated infrastructure development in areas surrounding the airports in Pakistan, positively impacting their commercial significance and real estate worth, that means, if not now, then possibly in the near future, you may be enjoying profitable returns on your real estate investment.
- Easy Exits for Emergency Situations: If you live close to the airport, you may just be a few minutes away from a quick exit in case there is an emergency situation in the city, usually triggered by some sort of natural disasters like an earthquake or a flood. Meanwhile, you can also take a look at some safety-tips for urban flooding.
Cons of Living Near An Airport
What are the downsides of living close to the airport? Let’s find out!
- Noise Pollution: Aircraft noise is obviously an unavoidable hazard. It can be a great nuisance for you and your family especially if you have recently moved to the neighbourhood. It is one of the most annoying types of noise pollution that can affect your sleep. However, in the worst-case scenario, disrupted sleeping patterns could lead to insomnia and other adverse health consequences. So, to counter such a problem, you can easily incorporate the sound insulation mechanism in your living space by installing thick soundproof doors and windows.
- Air Pollution: One of the major cons of living near an airport is that you and your family are constantly exposed to harmful gases emitted from an aircraft, polluting the whole environment. This results in air quality degradation, leading to different kinds of breathing problems. The most important air pollutant, in this case, is nitrogen dioxide gas.
Housing Societies Found Near Airports In Three Big Cities of Pakistan
The three big cities of Pakistan: Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad have different neighbourhoods and housing societies located in proximity to their airports. So, list down the name of these residential developments along with their respective distances from the airports of their host cities.
Karachi’s Jinnah International Airport has the following societies located in its proximity.
- Model Colony (3 km away)
- ASF Housing Scheme (Under Construction) (4 km away)
- Green Town, Shah Faisal (5 km away)
- Malir Cantt (7.3 km away)
- Gulistan-e-Johar (11 km away)
Housing societies near Allama Iqbal International Airport in Lahore have been listed as under:
- Askari 10 (6 km away)
- Cantt View Housing Scheme (6 km)
- Paragon City (10 km away)
- DHA Phase 5 (10 km away)
- Lahore Cantt (10 km away)
The Islamabad Capital Territory is home to some of the most prominent residential developments, which are located near the Islamabad International Airport. The names of such neighbourhoods have been listed as under:
- Supreme Court Housing Society (10 km away)
- MPCHS (11 km away)
- Overseas Enclave Housing Society (11 km away)
- Top City 1 (10 km away)
- Graceland Housing Society (11 km away)
Now that we have discussed the pros and cons of living near an airport from all possible real estate angles, it’s time for us to wrap up this post. We are waiting to hear from you at email@example.com so don’t hesitate to share your valuable feedback with us.
On a side note, you can also read our blogs discussing the pros and cons of living near the city centre, the main road, a golf course, and in a corner house. Read more of our real estate and lifestyle guides by visiting our blog section. Furthermore, you can also subscribe to Zameen Blog’s e-newsletter to receive our daily updates. To stay up-to-date with the current affairs, stay tuned to Zameen News.