Building a new house is not an easy task. Apart from the actual construction, which may take months or even years depending on the project, the property owner also needs to worry about acquiring required permits, getting building plans approved and obtaining no-objection certificates (NOC) from various authorities among other things. Then, once the construction phase is over, the owner needs to apply for a new electricity connection along with other utilities.
So, if you are planning to move into a recently-constructed house, this guide on how to apply for a new electricity connection in Lahore and Islamabad, among other cities in Pakistan, will definitely help you out.
Electric Supply Companies in Pakistan
Before discussing the procedure to get a new connection, let’s take a look at the electric supply companies in Pakistan.
Cities such as Lahore, Islamabad, Multan, Gujranwala, Sukkur, Quetta and Hyderabad, to name a few, are provided electricity by different branches of a government-owned distribution company (DISCO). It functions under Pakistan Electric Power Company (PEPCO). These distribution companies purchase electricity from PEPCO and Water and Power Development Authority (WAPDA) among other independent producers and supply it to their respective customers in allocated areas.
Since electricity has become a basic need, these power supply companies have introduced an online application system to facilitate the consumers. The process requires applicants to submit an online application for electricity connection along with a physical form, which can be sent directly to their concerned office.
Whether you live in Lahore or Islamabad, the procedure to apply for a new electricity connection is exactly the same for both cities, as well as a few others.
Before we proceed any further, here is a list of government-owned electric supply companies in Pakistan:
LESCO: Lahore Electric Supply Company
IESCO: Islamabad Electric Supply Company
GEPCO: Gujranwala Electric Supply Company
FESCO: Faisalabad Electric Supply Company
MEPCO: Multan Electric Supply Company
PESCO: Peshawar Electric Supply Company
HESCO: Hyderabad Electric Supply Company
SEPCO: Sukkur Electric Supply Company
QESCO: Quetta Electric Supply Company
TESCO: Tribal Electric Supply Company
It is important to mention that K-Electric in Karachi is not included in the list as it has been privatized. The residents of the ‘City of Lights’ need to follow a different process to apply for an electricity connection through their local distributor.
How to Apply for a New Electricity Connection
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to apply for a new electricity connection in Islamabad, Lahore and other cities through the above-mentioned distribution companies.
Visit the website of your respective DISCO and click the ‘New Connection’ tab. It’ll lead you to the Electricity New Connection (ENC) System.
Click on ‘Print Application’ from the navigation panel, which will open up a new web page. You will now need to select your local power supply company and enter your CNIC number.
Applicants need to upload the scanned copies of the required documents on the online portal to apply for a new electricity connection in residential and commercial properties.
- Attested copy of the applicant’s CNIC.
- Attested copies of CNIC of two witnesses (not needed for single-phase meters)
- Proof of ownership or power of attorney in favour of the applicant (in case of more than one owners) attested by oath commissioner, notary public or a class one officer.
- An affidavit stating that the property does not have an electricity connection and has no outstanding charges or fees. The undertaking must be submitted on a stamp paper duly attested by oath commissioner. In case the applicant is found to be a defaulter at a later stage, they may be liable to legal action.
- Tenants can submit a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the owner of the property. It must be on a stamp paper and duly signed by oath commissioner.
Please note that industrial applicants need to submit an additional list of documents.
- Applicant must provide a site map for the location where a new electricity connection is required.
- If a company has more than one owner, a Power of Attorney will be required in favour of the applicant in order to file an application for new electricity connection and sign a contract with the respective electric supply company, be it LESCO, IESCO or another.
- A copy of incorporation certificate (Article and Memorandum of Association) needs to be submitted by Limited and Private Limited companies.
- Attested CNIC of copies all director along with their complete addresses.
- The applicant must submit a NOC on company letterhead as per Form 29. It must be signed by all the directors.
- A Charge Creation Certificate from the Security and Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP). Its worth will be equivalent to the security amount.
Submit the application for new electricity meter connection on the online portal.
Print out the application form, attach the above-mentioned documents and send it to your concerned office to apply for a new electricity connection.
Once your local power supply company verifies your documents, you’ll be issued a Demand Notice. However, if the documents are incomplete or deemed fake by the authorities, the application for new electricity meter connection will be rejected immediately.
You’ll have to pay the Demand Notice in the designated bank and send its paid copy to the concerned office.
After verifying the payment, LESCO, IESCO or whichever DISCO provides electricity to your city, will install a new connection at your property.
It is important to mention that streamlining the process of getting a new electricity connection is one of the regulatory reforms that helped Pakistan jump 28 spots to the global ranking of 108 on World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business Index 2020.
The latest report released by the World Bank evaluated economic regulations in 190 countries based on 12 metrics. The list included the ease of starting a business, dealing with construction permits, getting electricity, registering property and paying taxes among others. Owing to the effective process streamlining efforts by various government bodies, Pakistan is now among the top 10 most improved places to do business in the world.
Meanwhile, if you’re looking for information on how to register your business with the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) or how to file your income taxes online, stay connected to Zameen Blog – theleading real estate blog in Pakistan.
In case of any queries or suggestions regarding the topic, drop us an email at email@example.com. You can also subscribe to our newsletter on the right to receive the latest updates about the property sector of Pakistan.