There are a lot of ways in which you can decorate your property and give it a unique touch of your personality and family values. Playing around with the colour scheme, retouching the furniture, adding carpets, and decorating the walls are some of the most common ways to give your home a makeover. In this blog, we will share some prayer room décor ideas to give you a better idea about how you can decorate your prayer room and turn it into a spiritual sanctuary.
We will begin by defining why you need a dedicated prayer room or area in your house, and will then share some essential tips for decorating a prayer room. In the end, we will highlight some key considerations to pay attention to while designing a prayer room.
So, without further ado, let’s get praying!
The Need for a Prayer Room in the House
Ramadan is already here, which means we will spend most of our time fasting and praying to fulfill our religious duties. It is also an ideal time to meditate in silence, cleanse your soul, and get closer to the almighty creator. The key to taking the full advantage of this holy month is to spend most of your time in a dedicated and comfortable area where you and your family members can concentrate better on the spiritual side of this month. This dedicated area should be free from any worldly distractions and noise.
Not to mention that it will provide you a small getaway from your hectic routine and allow you to connect to your creator without any hassles. A prayer room is meant to save your time and keep this area reserved for your religious duties. Just like how you keep your office desk isolated from the rest of the activities, the prayer area or room in your house will serve a similar purpose – to keep you concentrated and mindful.
Now that you completely understand the need to have a prayer room in your house, here are some prayer room décor ideas and design tips to make your task easier.
Prayer Room Décor Ideas and Tips
Here are some prayer room design ideas that you should keep in mind while designing a prayer room in your house:
- Soothing Colour Theme
- Comfortable Flooring Options
- Plain and Considerable Furnishing
- Essential Accessories
Soothing Colour Theme
The selection of a soothing colour theme is the first element of designing a space for offering prayers in your house. Since colour has the ability to set the mood of a room, you should be considerate of selecting a certain wall paint. Go for the theme that will uplift the room and give it a more energising and comfortable aura. Remember that a prayer room should have a peaceful and calm atmosphere, so opting for neutral tones can easily help you achieve this look.
For further guidance, take a look at our recently published blog, where we have discussed some of the best paint brands in Pakistan, along with their specialities.
Comfortable Flooring Options
The next and most important item on our list of prayer room décor ideas is flooring options. When you are designing the floor of a prayer room, you should keep in mind that this corner of your house will be used at least five times a day. Adults will spend more time in this room, either offering Salat or reciting Quran, so a comfortable flooring option is necessary.
At this point, we’ll recommend installing something that can keep heels from snapping if someone walks in or out of the room. Go for plush carpeting as it will help muffle the sound in the room and keep the atmosphere more comfortable for sitting and praying. Throw in some cushions, mats, and small reading tables for an additional layer of comfort.
If you have no prior experience in this regard, you can also select from our list of best tiles for each room around your house. We have covered the primary rooms in this blog, you can navigate to the bedroom and living room section for guidance.
Plain and Considerable Furnishing
The third item on our list of ideas for namaz room is the correct way of adding furnishing. We know for a fact that Islam promotes simplicity, so it is best to avoid overcrowding the room with extravagant furnishing. Stick to necessary things that do not have vibrant colours or no patterns on them. Keep the room spacious by not putting in too many cabinets, tables, or decorative items. Install plain and simple rugs, carpets, curtains, and other furnishings with no pictures on them. Keep the room well-lit and ventilated to increase concentration.
The best way to design a namaz room in your house is to add some accessories that will help you achieve the purpose of this room. Essential accessories include praying mats, rosary, Quran, reading tables, and Islamic literature. Do not decorate the room with things that are going to distract you, such as a mirror or glittering showpieces.
The maintenance can get challenging, so avoid stuffing the room with unnecessary things. Keep the essentials that are used by you and your family members on a daily basis. You can keep the extra accessories in a safe place or your storeroom and take them out only when needed. If you often have visitors in your house, you can also install a cabinet in the prayer room to put extra accessories inside it.
Speaking of which, if you need assistance with installing cabinets in your house, you can navigate to one of our recent posts where we have covered the easiest method of installing wall and floor cabinets.
Key Considerations for Designing a Prayer Room
Having a prayer room or a dedicated space for religious obligations around your house is not any different than a study room where you need no distractions and where you have all the equipment that can help you concentrate better. Here are some things that you should keep in mind while designing a prayer room in your home:
- As mentioned earlier, you should make sure that the prayer area is free from worldly distractions such as electronic devices, mobile phones, etc.
- Your prayer room should give you easy access to religious activities and accessories such as praying rug and cap, rosary, Quran, or other Islamic books.
- Be considerate of the guests visiting your house and keep sufficient accessories for them to use as well.
- Make sure that all the things are placed in their designated space after use. This would help you save time and energy that you can utilise in concentrating better.
- Right next to concentration, privacy is an important element of praying. So, keep in mind that the prayer area or room is situated in an isolated corner of your house – away from the high traffic areas such as the common area, kitchen, living room, or guest room.
- When you are designing an Islamic prayer room in your house, do not forget to specify the Qibla direction. It will be a guiding feature for visitors to place their prayer mats while praying.
- Keep the prayer room close, if not attached, to the powder room for ablution.
- The prayer room should be the cleanest spot in your house. Keep it maintained and hygienic by conducting deep cleaning and sanitising it every day.
- Arrange alcohol-free products for cleaning and sanitising.
- Be considerate of people with disabilities. Make the area easily accessible and provide all the necessary accessories.
- Set rules for everyone to follow. As such, do not allow eating or drinking in the prayer room. The usage of mobile phones should also be restricted to religious purposes, and anything that kills the purpose of the room shouldn’t be allowed.
This brings us to the end of our post on designing an Islamic prayer area. We have shared some tips that you shouldn’t miss while making your checklist for prayer room design ideas. Remember that these small but smart improvements around your home reflect greatly on its overall outlook. Tell us how you have planned to make the most of Ramadan 2020 at email@example.com. Also, if you have any questions, suggestions, or feedback – you know where to write. Make us a part of your timeline by liking Zameen’s Facebook Page.
Moreover, if you are looking for stylish front door ideas, you can navigate to our recently published guide, where we have shared some chic and modern designs that you can implement to make your property stand out in the neighbourhood.
For more tips on home décor, keep visiting Zameen Blog – Pakistan’s most trusted portal for everything property. Get our blogs delivered directly to your inbox. Just enter your email address in the box on the right side of your screen and hit subscribe.