IN THIS POST
– Ehsaas Undergraduate Scholarship Program
– HEC Need-Based Scholarships
– Scotland Pakistan Scholarships for Young Women and Girls
– USAID-funded Merit and Need-Based Scholarship Program
– OGDCL Need-Based Scholarships Program through HEC
– Pakistan Bait-ul-Mal Scholarship for Deserving Students
Update (September 22, 2022)
KP Announces Chief Minister’s Education Endowment Fund Scholarship
The Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa has introduced a new scholarship programme for undergraduate and graduate students in the province.
Chief Minister’s Education Endowment Fund Scholarship (CMEEF) 2022 will cover all educational expenses of the recipients along with offering them a monthly stipend of PKR 5000. Those intending to apply for BS, BE, MS, MPhil, and PhD programmes may apply for the merit and need-based scholarship as long as they hold a Khyber Pakhtunkhwa domicile and fulfil other eligibility requirements set by the KP Higher Education Archives and Libraries Department.
Here is the list of institutions, disciplines, and the number of scholarships for the undergraduate programme.
|Institution||Discipline||No. of Scholarships|
|Agha Khan Medical College Karachi||MBBS||2|
|Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering Sciences and Technology||BS (Laser and Opto Electronics)||4|
|University of Engineering and Technology (UET), Peshawar||BE (Mining Engineering)||4|
|UET Peshawar||BE (Industrial Manufacturing Engineering)||4|
|COMSATS Abbottabad||BS (Power Engineering)||4|
|UET, Lahore||BE (Petroleum Engineering)||2|
|NED University Karachi||BE (Petroleum Engineering)||2|
|University of Peshawar||BS (Anthropology)||4|
|University of Peshawar||BS (Social Work)||4|
|University of Peshawar||BS (Disaster Management)||4|
|University of Peshawar||BS (Geology)||8|
|Institute of Management Sciences, Peshawar||BBA||4|
|IBA Karachi||BS (Accounting & Finance)||4|
|NUST Islamabad||BE Geo-Informatics (GIS/RS)||4|
|NUST, Islamabad||BS (Physics)||4|
|NUST, Islamabad||BS (Computer Science)||4|
|Government College University (GCU) Lahore||BS (Mathematics)||8|
The eligibility criteria for post-graduate scholars differ slightly from that of the undergraduate programme. Here is a list of universities, disciplines, and the number of scholarships available for MS, MPhil and PhD students.
|Institution||Discipline||MS Scholarships||MPhil Scholarships||PhD Scholarships|
|Quaid-e-Azam University (QAU) Islamabad||Geophysics||2||–||2|
|NUST Islamabad||Nano Sciences and Technology||2||–||2|
|NUST Islamabad||Computer Communication & Security/Information Security||2||–||2|
|NUST Islamabad||Electrical Engineering||2||–||2|
|National Institute for Biotechnology and Genetics Engineering (NIBGE) Faisalabad||Biotechnology||–||2||–|
|Pakistan Institute of Engineering & Applied Sciences (PIEAS) Islamabad||Nuclear Medicine||2||–||2|
|Khyber Medical University (KMU) Peshawar||Anatomy||2||–||2|
|University of Peshawar||Pharmacy||2||–||2|
|University of Peshawar||Environmental Science||2||–||2|
|University of Peshawar||Microbiology||2||–||2|
|Islamia College University (ICU) Peshawar||English Literature||2||–||2|
|University of Peshawar||Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering||2||–||2|
|GCU Lahore||English Literature||2||–||–|
|UET Peshawar||Mining Engineering||2||–||2|
|UET Peshawar||Industrial Engineering||2||–||2|
|Pakistan Institute of Development Economics (PIDE) Islamabad||Economics||–||2||2|
Please note the deadline to apply for CMEEF 2022 is November 15, 2022.
Update (Sept. 12, 2022)
Government Announces Scholarships Worth PKR 45 million for Minority Students
The Ministry of Religious Affairs and Interfaith Harmony has allocated PKR 45 million to provide scholarships to students belonging to minority communities in Pakistan.
According to the reports published by leading media outlets, Ministry Spokesperson Muhammad Umar Butt stated that minority students from primary to university level can apply for this scholarship programme. He also explained the applicants must be enrolled in government educational institutions and should have secured at least 50% marks in the annual examinations to be eligible for the grant. In addition, the total income of their family should not exceed PKR 50,000.
It is also important to mention that students must have their own bank account to ensure a smooth transaction of the funds. However, those under the age of 18 can open a minor bank account or create a joint account with their parents.
The deadline for this application cycle is October 6, 2022. The applicants must send a duly filled-out form to the ministry along with the required documents, which include attested copies of CNIC or B-Form, attested mark sheets of annual exams or for the last two semesters, and attested copies of evaluation sheets (for the GPA system).
Furthermore, please note that the students who are already receiving any form of financial assistance, stipends, or scholarships from other sources are not eligible for this programme.
Update (April 15, 2021)
PM Launches Rehmat-ul-Lil Alameen (PBUH) Scholarship Programme
Prime Minister of Pakistan Imran Khan has officially launched the Rehmat-ul-Lil Alameen (PBUH) Scholarship Programme for qualified and deserving students across the country, reported Radio Pakistan.
Addressing the inauguration ceremony in Islamabad, the premier said the Government of Pakistan will spend PKR 5.5 billion every year on 70,000 intermediate and undergraduate scholarships. Moreover, the Rehmat-ul-Lil Alameen (PBUH) Scholarship Programme will be implemented in 129 public sector universities across Pakistan and will be available to both Muslim and non-Muslim students. The government has also approved a budget of PKR 27.93 billion for this scholarship programme, which will be utilized over the next five years.
Meanwhile, the provinces will also pursue the Rehmatul-Lil Alameen (PBUH) Scholarship Programme.
Chief Minister of Punjab Usman Buzdar said the programme will provide PKR 41.70 crore worth of scholarships to 14,891 students enrolled in intermediate and BS (Hons) courses, according to a report published by a leading newspaper. The amount allocated for this programme will reportedly be increased to PKR 1 billion in the next budget.
Moreover, 50% of the scholarships will be awarded on the basis of merit, whereas the rest will be distributed among needy and underprivileged students. Furthermore, the government has also launched a higher education portal in collaboration with Punjab Information Technology Board (PITB) to ensure a transparent process. Candidates will be able to apply for this programme through their phones, while the scholarships will be provided through banks.
Meanwhile, a budget of PKR 427 million has been allocated for the Rehmatul-Lil Alameen (PBUH) Scholarship Programme in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
Are you looking for scholarships in Pakistan that will help you attain your dreams of higher education? Well, you’re in luck because we are bringing you a comprehensive list of merit and need-based scholarship programmes across the country that can help you or someone you know to complete their education without worrying about tuition, accommodation and other fees.
Here is a complete analysis of the eligibility criteria, application process, and financial coverage offered by these need and merit-based scholarships in Pakistan.
Ehsaas Undergraduate Scholarship Programme
It is arguably one of the most famous scholarships in Pakistan for undergraduate students. Launched by the Government of Pakistan under its flagship Ehsaas Social Safety Net Programme, the Ehsaas Undergraduate Scholarship Programme has an annual budget of PKR 6 billion. It aims to help individuals with limited financial resources to complete their bachelor’s degrees in all major disciplines.
The scholarship programme has also reserved 50% of its quota for female students while 2% has been reserved for students living with physical disabilities.
You must meet the following conditions in order to apply for the Ehsaas Undergraduate Scholarship Programme.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in undergraduate degree programs in selected public sector universities
- The students must have fulfilled the admission criteria of their respective university and secured admission on the basis of merit
- The students who have secured admission in evening programmes on a self-finance basis are not eligible to apply for Ehsaas Undergraduate Scholarship Programme
- Those applying for this scholarship must be under the age limit set by the university
- The applicants who have received any other financial awards, grants or scholarships are also not eligible to apply for this scholarship in Pakistan
- Students enrolled in distant learning programmes are also ineligible for this scholarship
How to Apply for Ehsaas Undergraduate Scholarship Programme
If you fulfil the criteria above, you can apply for the Ehsaas Undergraduate Scholarship Programme through the Online Application System launched by the Higher Education Commission (HEC) of Pakistan.
What Does this Scholarship Cover?
Ehsaas is one of the several fully funded scholarships for students in Pakistan. It covers the following expenses:
- Tuition fees
- Annual stipend
HEC Need-Based Scholarships
The HEC Need-Based Scholarships in Pakistan are meant for qualified students who are struggling to pursue higher studies due to limited financial resources. It provides academically qualified students with financial assistance, enabling them to complete their degrees in all disciplines at as many as 94 campuses of selected public sector Pakistani universities.
Considered one of the most popular HEC scholarships for Pakistani students, it also offers partial scholarships for students already enrolled at selected universities or institutes.
The list of participating universities is available for download on the official HEC website.
Let’s take a look at the eligibility criteria for the HEC Need-Based Scholarships in Pakistan.
- The applicants must secure admission at the selected university or institute for a 4-year undergraduate programme
- The student must be able to fulfil the admission criteria and secure admission on merit-basis
- Since the programme also offers scholarships for medical students in Pakistan, students enrolled in Medicine, Pharm-D and other five-year programs are also eligible to apply
- Those who have already started their undergraduate programmes at selected universities are also eligible for the scholarship
- The student must be financially unable to bear the expenses for the undergraduate program. If the Institutional Scholarship Award Committee does not find an applicant deserving of the award after reviewing their financial background, they could be deemed ineligible for the programme
- If the award-recipient drops out of the university before the completion of his or her degree, another candidate on the waiting list will take their place
How to Apply for the HEC Need-Based Scholarships
Step 1: You can apply for this scholarship programme in Pakistan by downloading the HEC Scholarship Application Form from the official HEC website or obtaining it from the Financial Aid Office at the participating university
Step 2: Carefully fill out the form and attach the required documents before submitting it to the Financial Aid Office.
It is important to mention that the HEC does not accept duly filled forms from the students.
Step 3: Enrol in one of the approved disciplines at a participating university on merit-basis
Step 4: If your scholarship application is approved, the HEC will transfer the required funds to the participating university
What Does this Scholarship Cover?
The HEC Need-Based Scholarships in Pakistan cover the following expenses:
- Tuition fee
- Monthly stipend of PKR 6,000
- Accommodation allowance (if needed)
- Other academics costs
Scotland Pakistan Scholarships for Young Women and Girls
If you are looking for scholarships for higher education in Pakistan that provide assistance to young women and girls, you don’t have to search any further. Funded by the Government of Scotland and administered by the British Council, this programme offers both bachelor’s and master’s scholarships in Pakistan.
The Scotland Pakistan Scholarships for Young Women and Girls offers awards to students studying the following disciplines:
- Sustainable Energy
- Food Security and Agriculture
- Health Sciences (except Medical Sciences)
There is no age limit for these scholarships in Pakistan for undergraduate students.
Only those who meet the following requirements are eligible to apply for Scottish scholarships in Pakistan.
- The applicant must have completed 12 years of formal education for the undergraduate scholarship programme and 16 years of formal education for master’s scholarships in Pakistan
- Women who are citizens and permanent residents of Pakistan are eligible to apply
- The chosen undergraduate degree programme must be no longer than four years
- The chosen master’s degree programme must be no longer than two years
- The student must have received a confirmation or admission letter from an HEC-recognized public sector university on merit-basis
How to Apply for the Scotland Pakistan Scholarships for Young Women and Girls
Step 1: Apply for your chosen undergraduate degree programme at an HEC-recognized public university
Step 2: Once you secure the admission, fill out the online application form available on the official British Council website
Step 3: Attach the following documents with your duly filled application form:
- Proof of admission and/or enrolment
- Tuition fee form
- Scanned copy of CNIC
- Scanned copy of transcripts
Step 4: You either submit your application online or download the form and send it to the office of the British Council in Islamabad via courier at the following address:
Coordinator Scottish Scholarship Scheme
Pakistan Scottish Scholarships Scheme
British Council Pakistan
PO Box 1135, Islamabad
What Does this Scholarship Cover?
This scholarship programme in Pakistan funds the following:
- Tuition fee
- Cost of university hostel
- Travel to and from home to university twice a year for students staying on-campus
USAID-Funded Merit and Needs-Based Scholarship Programme
Launched by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) in 2004, the USAID-funded Merit and Needs-Based Scholarship Programme provides funding to academically qualified students who cannot continue their studies due to financial restraints. The HEC serves as the nominating body for these fully funded scholarships for students in Pakistan
The USAID is currently offering bachelor’s and master’s scholarships in Pakistan. Moreover, one can apply for this programme at 31 partner universities in multiple fields.
Here are the eligibility criteria for the USAID-funded Merit and Needs-Based Scholarship Programme:
- The applicant must be able to secure admission in their chosen degree program on merit-basis
- Those applying for the programme must demonstrate financial need
- For the Bachelor’s programme, the applicant must have completed 12 years of formal education
- For the Master’s programme, the applicant must have completed at least 16 years of formal education
How to Apply for USAID Merit and Needs-Based Scholarship Programme
You can apply for USAID scholarships in Pakistan through the official HEC portal.
The application forms are also available at the Financial Aid Offices located on the campuses of partner universities.
What Does this Scholarship Cover?
The USAID scholarship programme provides funds for the following:
- Tuition fees
- Other academic costs
OGDCL Need-Based Scholarships Program through HEC
The HEC has also partnered with the Oil and Gas Development Company Limited (OGDCL) to offer engineering scholarships in Pakistan, among others, to underprivileged students. The OGDCL provides academically qualified students with fully funded scholarships in fields that are important to the country’s economic development.
The programme offers scholarships for both undergraduate and graduate degrees in the following disciplines:
- Information Technology
- Business Administration
- Defence and Strategic Studies
- Gender Studies
- Animal Sciences
- Pakistan Studies
The OGDCL scholarships are only available at 9 selected universities in Pakistan. You can access the list on the official HEC website.
Let’s find out who is eligible to apply for the OGDCL Need-Based Scholarships Programme in Pakistan:
- The applicant must be a citizen of Pakistan belonging to an operational or concessional district of Oil & Gas Development Company Limited.
- Scholarships in Quaid-e-Azam University are only offered for two-year Masters’ degree programmes
- Scholarships at International Islamic University, Islamabad, are only offered for Bachelor’s degree programmes
- Engineering scholarships are only offered for Bachelor’s degree
- The applicant must secure admission in one of the approved disciplines at the participating universities on a merit-basis
- Students must be enrolled in a 3 to 4-year undergraduate programme or a 2-year graduate programme
- Only those enrolled in the first semester of their respective courses are eligible to apply for this scholarship
- The financial background of the student’s family must prove that he or she is eligible for these need-based scholarships in Pakistan
How to Apply for the OGDCL Need-Based Scholarships
Step 1: Download the online application form for the OGDCL Need-Based Scholarships through HEC
Step 2: Submit the duly filled online application form before downloading and printing it
Step 3: Attach supporting documents to your printed scholarship form and submit it to the Financial Aid Office of your selected university
What Does It Cover?
The OGDCL Need-Based Scholarships in Pakistan cover the following expenses:
- Tuition Fee
- Accommodation (if applicable)
Pakistan Bait-ul-Mal Scholarship for Deserving Students
Those seeking scholarships for intermediate students in Pakistan can also apply at Pakistan Bait-ul-Mal for financial assistance. The semi-autonomous welfare organisation established through a 1992 Act of the Government of Pakistan offers funds for underprivileged students enrolled in public sector colleges and universities. The programme allows students to complete their degrees free of cost.
The Bait-ul-Mal Scholarship for Deserving Students awards scholarships to needy students in Pakistan on both semester and annual basis. If a student clears his or her exams successfully, their scholarship will remain applicable for the next academic cycle as well. However, in case of failure in any subject, the student will not be eligible to avail the scholarship.
Let’s take a look at the eligibility criteria to apply for the Bait-ul-Mal Scholarship for Deserving Students:
- The students enrolled in any government sector educational institute are eligible to apply
- The applicant must obtain a filled Bonafide Certificate from their institute
- Those applying for the scholarship must be deserving of the financial assistance
How to Apply for the Bait-ul-Mal Scholarship for Deserving Students
Step 1: Download the free Scholarship Application form from the website of Pakistan Bait-ul-Mal
Step 2: Fill out the application form and attach the following documents:
- Photocopy of student’s CNIC or B-form
- A copy of the university or college ID card/ admit card
- Complete fee structure verified by the institute’s Fee Section
- Bonafide Form duly filled and signed by the Head of Department
- Educational degrees and transcripts from Matric onwards
- The result of last semester
- If the student has already paid any fee, attach the Bank Challan
- Affidavit by the student
Step 3: Write an application for financial assistance addressed to MD Pakistan Bait-ul-Mal. Make sure to write your own name, address and contact details as well
Step 4: Submit all of the documents and application form to the Financial Aid office at the university of college
What Does this Scholarship Cover?
The Bait-ul-Mal Scholarship for Deserving Students covers the tuition fee.
In case you are looking for opportunities to study abroad, make sure to check out our detailed guide on international scholarships for students in Pakistan. If you wish to study in China, don’t forget to take a look at the CSC scholarships.
To learn more about scholarships in Pakistan 2020, stay connected to Zameen Blog – the best lifestyle and real estate blog in Pakistan. You can also write to us at email@example.com.
Moreover, please like our Facebook page to receive the latest updates about the construction and property trends in the country.