There is no denying the fact that technology has not only made our lives easier but also safer. Take CCTV cameras for example. These tiny little gadgets allow you to remotely monitor your home and/or your business premises from anywhere in the world by simply using your smartphone or laptop.
The advanced surveillance systems of today’s world are even connected with cloud storage where all your data is uploaded and kept safe as a backup in case your physical storage device is damaged or lost.
So, if you are also planning to set up a surveillance system in your living space and looking for some useful tips in this regard, then you have landed on the right post. Here we have put together an ultimate guide to help you identify the best locations to hide home security cameras for wide-angle monitoring and increased safety.
How to Hide Home Security Cameras
The placement of CCTV cameras matters a lot. To optimise their usage, you need to place them strategically. Here are a few tips to correctly place security cameras in your home.
- Install them near sensitive and high traffic areas. All the wiring connected with your cameras should also be properly concealed.
- Try to cover both indoor and outdoor viewing angles with the surveillance system in your living space to keep it safe from intruders.
- Position your camera in a well-lit area and make sure it sports night vision.
- They should also be able to capture a wide-angle view to enhance the efficiency of your surveillance system.
Best Locations to Install and Hide CCTV Cameras for Home Security
When installing home security cameras, make sure they are properly camouflaged and blended into their surroundings so they are not easily detectable. Some of the best places to hide security cameras in your home have been listed as under:
- Hide Your Security Cameras in Common Household Items: Use toys like stuffed animals, and other common items including photo frames, tissue boxes, and even wall clocks to hide your security camera. The object should be of the right size to properly fit and hide the CCTV camera. Its viewing angle must cover the valuables in that specific part of your home. So, if anyone tries to steal something, you can catch them in action.
- Hard-to-reach Surfaces Are Also Good for Home Security Cams: Find spots that are not easily reachable around your living space and place your security cameras there. For example, you can use pieces of art, bookshelves, and cabinets that are positioned high on the wall. Placing your camera beside a ceiling fan or a chandelier is another good option to keep your surveillance system effectively camouflaged. The view of your camera should be very clear and without interference or distortion from the surrounding items.
- Camera in the Doorbell: Having a camera in the doorbell has become pretty common these days. It allows people to constantly monitor the front door of their homes. Most importantly, they don’t have to worry about hiding the camera. It usually has a perfect viewing angle, which can capture the view of a person at your door from head to toe. In most cases, it has been observed that doorbell security cameras often remain entirely unnoticed.
- Hide a Security Camera Near a Tall Tree or In a Birdhouse: It is one of the most effective tips on how to hide home security cameras. Using a birdhouse or tall tree as your security camera placement will not only keep it perfectly blended into its natural surroundings but also give it a good viewing angle. The tall height of these placements also makes it hard for anyone to detect your CCTV cameras. You need to keep a regular check on these cameras and remove any interference in their viewing angles to retain the efficiency of your surveillance system.
Pro Tip: Even before covering the aforementioned locations, make sure to position security cameras at the most common entry points in your home that can be possibly used by a burglar or an intruder. This means your indoor security cameras must have a good view of windows as well as the main entryway. Similarly, your outdoor security cameras should have a wide-angle view of your front door and backdoors, if there are any.
Home Surveillance System Maintenance Tips
Now that you know how and where to hide home security cameras, let’s take a look at a few important pointers about their maintenance.
- Regularly check your cameras. Make sure their focus and viewing angle are adjusted properly.
- The motor attached to the camera housing allows it to move in different directions. Make sure it is working fine.
- It is important for you to do a close inspection of the wiring and joints that connect the entire security camera system in your home. If you come across any loose connections, you should fix them immediately.
- Retaining a crystal-clear display is another very crucial thing you need to take care of. So, it is important for you to thoroughly inspect every piece of video equipment and its wired connections. This is to ensure that the video system is functioning properly.
- Your home should not have a weak WiFI connection. It may also result in losing important surveillance data. Make sure that the main equipment powering your home security system is placed near your wireless internet source. Here are a few handy tips to boost WiFi signals in your home.
Note: To get more details on the aforementioned tips, read our detailed preventative CCTV maintenance checklist.
These were some of the most useful tips to hide home security cameras. We hope the information we have provided you in this post will help you in setting up an effective and reliable surveillance system around your house to increase your safety and peace of mind.
If you have some other important tips to share with us on the subject based on your personal experience, feel free to write to us at email@example.com.
Since you are here reading about home security, you may also like to take a look at the following blogs:
- Budget-friendly Home Security Tips
- Reasons You Need to Install a Home Security System
- Your Guide to Buying a Home Security System in Pakistan
- Tips to Secure Your Home While Living Alone
To read more informative lifestyle tips and property guides, keep following Zameen Blog, the best lifestyle and real estate blog in Pakistan. Subscribe to our newsletter to stay updated with all our latest blog posts.