Islamabad’s ranking on the World Crime Index has improved significantly over the past few years. Pakistan’s capital has become safer than major cities such as Amsterdam, Sydney, Berlin, Paris and London.
According to the latest stats released by the World Crime Index issued in a report by the international organisation Numbeo, Islamabad’s current safety index stands at 71.37, which is remarkable if we compare it with the previous stats of 2019 when it was 67.12. A number of factors have contributed to Islamabad’s improved ranking on the World Crime Index. Undeniably, the vigilance of Islamabad Police has resulted in reduced crime rates in the federal capital over the past year.
Owing to the efforts of Islamabad Police, the United Nations (UN) also restored Islamabad’s status as a family station. This means that the International Civil Service Commission (ICSC) of the UN considers Islamabad a safe city for UN personnel to visit with their families.
Islamabad is Safer than Amsterdam, Sydney, Berlin, Paris and London
As per the latest findings on Numbeo, the crime rate of Sydney, Australia is higher than that of Islamabad. Similarly, Berlin, Paris and Amsterdam have high crime rates than Islamabad. Let us take a look at how some important cities ranked on the World Crime Index.
- Amsterdam earned 268th position, where its safety index was at 66.90 and the crime rate was at 33.10
- Sydney ranked at 263rd position, with a safety index of 66.10 and crime rate of 33.90
- Berlin landed on 200th position, with a safety index of 58.99 and crime rate of 41.01
- Paris ranked at 112th position, with a safety index of 48.24 and a crime rate of 51.76
- London ranked at 107th place on the World Crime Index with a safety index of 47.52 and a high crime rate of 52.48
Islamabad’s ranking on the World Crime Index has also improved significantly if we compare it with the previous data.
Islamabad’s World Crime Index Rankings Improve Over the Years
- Current Crime Index of Islamabad is 28.60 with the safety index of 71.40, standing at 301st position out of 374 cities.
- In mid-year 2019, the crime index of Islamabad was 30.47 and the safety index was 69.53, ranking at 244th position out of a total of 328 cities.
- In mid-year 2018, the crime index of Islamabad was at 33.37 and the safety index was at 61.11, ranking 206th out of a total of 338 cities.
- In mid-year 2017, the crime index of Islamabad was at 38.89 and the safety index was at 66.63, holding 256th position out of a total of 334 cities.
- In mid-year 2016, the crime index of Islamabad was at 41.65 and the safety index at 58.35, holding 162nd position out of a total of 334 metropolises.
As per the findings of the renowned crime ranking website, Numbeo, Islamabad has witnessed a significant drop in its crime rate. It has gone from being the 99th safest city in the world in 2016 to jumping 27 spots and being declared the 72nd safest city in the whole world in 2019, beating the likes of Amsterdam, Boston and Sydney.
How Islamabad Police is Working on Improving the City’s Safety and Security
Islamabad Police’s constant efforts have played a major role in improving the capital’s standing on the World Crime Index and, of course, in making the city safe and secure for residents.
A special unit of the Islamabad Police is the Counter Terrorism Force, which is working towards making Islamabad one of the safest cities in Pakistan. Watch this video and see how they undergo training to curb terrorist activities in the city.
Islamabad Police is also mulling measures to make police officials more vigilant not just through training but also via performance monitoring. Body cameras as part of the official uniform will be introduced under the Safe City Project. In a video shared on the official Facebook page of the Islamabad Police, a police official describes how these body cameras will help change the notorious ‘thaana culture’ and help monitor the performance of officers in a better way. These gadgets will also provide important information during mob violence, protests, and similar incidents.
Initially, around 20 body cameras will be given out, according to the latest reports.
Check out the video for more information:
12 Shaheen motorbike squads will start patrolling in different areas of the city to curb street crimes. These motorbike squad will actively play its role in controlling acts of violence and street crimes. This is an important step to lower the crime rate in Islamabad and make it one of the safest cities in Pakistan. Check out the video as these Shaheen motorbike squads gear up to perform their duty with utmost dedication and vigilance.
Apart from these efforts, the Islamabad Police is also trying hard to ensure capacity building. For this purpose, around 6,000 officials participated in different skill development courses conducted by foreign experts. 174 officials were also sent abroad for training and capacity building. An Internal Accountability Clinic had also been set up to monitor and gauge the performance of police officials and to address corruption cases within the police
Crime Rate in Islamabad Declined as Compared to 2018
The capital city saw a significant reduction in the crime rate – overall, a 16% decline, thanks to the continuous efforts of the Islamabad Police.
- As per the latest crime statistics shared by the Islamabad Police, murder cases in Islamabad saw a 13% decline as compared to the data in 2018.
- Cases of dacoity and burglary were reduced by 31% and 26% respectively.
- A significant drop was witnessed in kidnapping for ransom cases – almost a 50% decline.
Special emphasis was laid to thwart drug dealers and address narcotics and drug dealing cases in 2019. Different campaigns were launched in universities and schools where students were given awareness about the dire consequences of using narcotics.
The Rescue 15 team received almost 62,000 emergency calls that were meant to be addressed by the Islamabad Police. The vigilant police officials promptly responded and the cases were sorted out in a timely manner.
You can also contact IG Islamabad Police in case you want to record a complaint about any police official. Most of the queries and complaints are promptly addressed by the police department. Contact IG Islamabad Police at: firstname.lastname@example.org
So, this was all there was to know about Islamabad’s reduced crime rate and improved ranking on the World Crime Index. Recently, Lahore was also declared safer than London, as per the World Crime Index rankings. If you wish to share your feedback about how safe Islamabad is, write to us at email@example.com and we would surely get back to you.
For more updates and informative posts like these, stay tuned to the best real estate blog in Pakistan. Subscribe to Zameen Newsletter appearing on the right side of the page.