Islamabad: The Capital Development Authority (CDA) has announced its decision to set up a special technology zone (STZ) on 150 acres of vacant land currently in possession of the National Institute of Health (NIH) in Shahzad Town, a news source reported on December 25.
The decision was reached during a meeting of the CDA board. CDA Chairman Amer Ali Ahmed presided over the session which took place on Thursday (December 24). The board provided its approval to the establishment of the STZ on said chunk of land.
According to the details revealed, the NIH had been allotted at least 600 acres of land decades ago and the lease of the land expired years back. A CDA official stated that following the lease expiry the land’s ownership belongs to the civic agency. He added that the NIH had only utilised 25% of the 600 acres and that the remaining 75% was underutilized.
According to reports, the CDA intends to approach the federal government for a final approval on the matter. It also plans to hand over the land to an authority which deals with technology-related concerns in the capital city.
Moreover, the CDA board provided its approval to a layout plan which had identified plots for setting up IT-related projects. The members opined that the proposed STZ would promote construction activity worth billions of rupees.