A bathroom is not just a place to splash water on your face or brush your teeth. It is a sanctuary where you unwind and relax as well. Therefore, most homeowners put a lot of emphasis in designing the bathroom according to the latest trends. There are many options available when it comes to selecting the right kind of sanitary fittings for your bathroom.
Although you love most of them, you can only use one bathtub in the bathroom among the many options available. That is why you need to carefully select the one that fits best. In this blog, we will share some tips on choosing the best plumbing fixtures for your bathroom.
Let’s get started!
Choosing the Best Plumbing Fixtures for Your Bathroom
We will talk about each fixture separately to have a better understanding of how to choose the best plumbing fixtures for your bathroom. These are the common sanitary fittings in the bathroom.
- Shower heads
Let us discuss these in detail.
When choosing the best plumbing fixtures for your bathroom, selecting the right shower head is so important. Picking out a shower head sounds easy, but there are so many things to consider. From the size, type, water pressure to functionality – you need to check which type pf shower head suits the best for your home. We will first go through the most common types of shower heads used in a bathroom.
Types of shower heads
- Ceiling shower head – One of the most modern types of shower head, the ceiling shower head gives the effect of rainfall and gives a relaxing feel to the bather. There are many spray options available which we have discussed below.
- Wall-mounted – These were the usual and most common types of shower heads used earlier, where the shower head was fixed in the wall and could not be moved.
- Telephonic shower heads – You can use it like a telephone to wash yourself up. These are also called handheld shower heads and are quite popular in Pakistani homes.
- Adjustable shower heads – These have different spray options and also can be adjusted according to the water pressure levels. You just rotate the shower head clockwise or anti-clockwise. This type of shower head is best suited for those people who prefer adjusting the pressure and flow of water according to their needs.
- Low-flow shower heads – These are specifically designed to conserve water at home. The water flows maintaining a low-pressure. There are different spray options available in this type of shower head. You can go for rainfall or aerated spray options.
- Dual shower heads – One of the most common and popular shower heads in Pakistan, the dual shower heads offer both kinds of utilities i.e. fixed and handheld. You can take a shower by keeping the shower head mounted in the wall through a nail or if you want to operate it by hand, then you can dismount it from the wall and use it like a telephone to wash yourself up. This provides both convenience and style.
Patterns of spray in shower heads
- Jet – The water comes with high pressure like a jet
- Rinse – In this option, only the central nozzles work and spray water to give a soaking effect to the bather
- Pulsating – This shoots water out of the nozzles in alternating patterns
- Wide – It presents a wider angle and the water is sprayed out of each nozzle constantly
Homeowners are usually baffled when choosing the best plumbing fixtures, like sinks for their bathrooms. When you visit the market to buy the perfect sink for your bathroom, you find that there are thousands of options available to choose from! For your convenience, we have narrowed down the search for you. Check out some of the most common types of sinks used in bathrooms.
Types of Sinks
- Pedestal sink – This is perhaps one of the most common types of sinks in bathrooms in Pakistan. Pedestal sinks come in various colours, shapes and sizes. You can choose according to the size of your bathroom. It is best to choose the sink with less intricate designs for better bathroom cleaning and maintenance. In the pedestal sink, the waste pipe goes to the floor and is concealed behind the pedestal. One of the cons of having a pedestal sink is that there is a lot of gap between the wall and the back of the pedestal and therefore becomes difficult to clean.
- Under-mount sink – This kind of sink under the counter. The rim of the sink is on the side of the counter and not on top of it. It creates a clean and seamless look. You can wipe the counter and conveniently slide it into the sink after every wash. You would need a counter for the under-mount sink to work though, which can be a bit expensive.
- Top-mount sink – A top-mount sink is designed to sit on top of the counter. The rim of the sink can be seen clearly. You can use any type of countertop material for this type of sink as there are less chances of being damaged by water because of the higher edges of the sink.
- Vessel sink – It is like a deep bowl which can hold plenty of water when you wash yourself up. It gives a stylish look to the bathroom. They can become uncomfortable to use for smaller kids though. It is important to maintain the perfect height for the cabinets so that it is easier to use this type of sink for both kids and senior citizens.
- Wall-mounted sink – These types of sinks are quite trending in Pakistan because of the minimalist and clean look they present. They also leave a lot of floor space as there are no cabinets underneath the sink. The plumbing and piping work is well-hidden inside the wall, so all you see is a stylish sink in front of you!
When choosing the best plumbing fixtures for your bathroom, you will see a variety of faucets to select from. Don’t be overwhelmed when visiting your local store to buy the faucet for your bathroom. Check out the different types of faucets used in the bathroom.
- Bridge – This type of faucet has two levers branching out from a singular part. The middle part of the faucet is not screwed to the countertop, which makes it quite easy to clean around the faucet. This type of faucet usually goes well with under-mount sinks.
- Single-handle – These are one of the most common types of faucets used in modern bathrooms in Pakistan. There is only one lever which you can either pull up or down to release water.
- Spread-fit – It is usually spread out as in the central spout is separate from the side handles. There are three holes and usually they are spaced about 10 inches apart.
- Centre fit
- Deck mount – It is mounted directly to the bathroom countertop and not to the wall or sink.
- Wall-mounted – These are stylish faucets and are a bit expensive on the pocket. As the name suggests, they are mounted on the wall usually with push buttons or sensors that release water upon sensing it.
There are also different spray options available with the type of faucets. You can go for foamy spray or aerated spray to conserve water.
There are different commodes you can install in your bathroom.
- Wall-mounted commode – The wall-mounted commode just like the wall-mounted sink as discussed above is fitted inside the wall and the pipes are concealed within the wall. The wall-mounted commode is costlier than its floored counterparts.
- Dual flush commode – This is for those homeowners who want their home to be eco-friendly and look for ways to conserve water. The flushing system is such that the smaller push button is to dispose of liquid waste and the bigger push button is for disposing solid waste.
- One-piece toilets – These commodes usually have the water tank, piping system and the toilet bowl all in one. They are usually the most common types of commodes used in Pakistan.
- Two-piece toilets – This type of commode has a separate water tank and the toilet bowl is not attached to it.
If you are planning to convert your bathroom into a spa, then installing a stylish bathtub is a must. However, don’t be dazed by the numerous styles and types of bathtubs available in the market.
- Standard bathtubs – These bathtubs come in standard sizes with 14-16 inches in height and 30 inches width. They are the most common types of bathtubs used in Pakistan. They come in different varieties like alcove, drop in and freestanding. The freestanding tub is a beautiful addition to your bathroom. They are not attached to the wall and bring style and glamour to the bathroom. The alcove bathtub is fit in the wall on three sides of the wall. Alcove bathtubs have a front panel and fitted faucets on the sides of the bathtub. The drop in bathtubs are fixed inside a frame or a structure. The outside of the bathtub is concealed by the surroundings and only the rim is visible.
- Soaking tub – These tubs have a greater depth. About 20 inches deep, they give a soaking effect and the entire body is submerged in water.
- Whirlpool tub – It has a self-contained jetted tub. The main purpose of a whirlpool tub is to relax and massage the tired muscles.
So, this is how you can choose the best sanitary fittings for your bathroom. Take a look at these small bathroom décor ideas. Don’t forget to write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will surely get back to you. Subscribe to the Zameen Newsletter appearing on the right hand side of the page. Stay tuned to the best real estate and property blog in Pakistan.